Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 21 of 254 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 253 254
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mclevela
Certainly is a precision looking jig for checking optics on a barreled action…

Certainly looks like a slick, precise testing jig.

Oh, by the way, the jig serves two purposes

Providing a rock solid platform with the ability to level a barreled action with precision that is not possible with other methods and precisely mounting an optic while the action is precisely level

And after the precision mount is completed, full testing of the optic on the rock solid platform with the ability to manipulate the turrets without any movement to the set up

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
All interesting information on the finer points of optic quality. Every scope on the list used in competition lists out at probably twice as much as most average people are willing to pay total on a “hunting rifle .” For all practical purposes i could get along with a good quality peep or a fixed 4x and not notice the difference.

Last edited by brinky72; 12/25/23.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sort or off topic question, for you guys who really test scopes to the absolute minimum detail….

How often, if ever, do you find one that has practically no measurable error?

Honestly curious here. I don’t have any fancy jigs/mounts to test near the level of some. I do the box test, and a semi tall target test, then verify at long range. I always have to adjust my BC to get everything to jive, if going real long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Holston

How often, if ever, do you find one that has practically no measurable error?.

My gunsmith tests hundreds of scopes. The ones you describe above are rare

I own one that happened to be perfect. Leupold Mark 4 M5A2. I know a buddy has the same scope and it too tested perfect.

I’ve posted the evaluation sheet here on this thread of a Mark 5 HD exactly like the one stick says sucks, that tested perfectly.

The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I enjoyed the Q-eque Blue Haired Cat Lady Bullschit and the fervor in which it is endorsed. Fhuqking HILARIOUS! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

(2) different rifles,no ammo particulars cited,no TTT,no mention of base/rings,both scopes SFP,both Mil/MOA erector/reticle juxtaposed,atmospheric conflicts and a ring "adjustment" which "might" have happened?!? None of which involved The "Magic" Scope "Checker". Fhuqking Magnificent HILARITY!. Hint.

REALITY in calm conditions at 50yds,aboard a World Class Rifle,which is a very well PROVEN platform. The REUPOLD MK5 3.6-18X with simplistic erector manipulations alone,will take Agg's from the .2's,to 1-1/2"++. Left static and stabbing a vastly superior FFP reticle,to the SFP TMR which "might" have got "adjusted",my particular MK5 did nice things. The 5-20x HD mounted prior and after,dazzled like always and pinpoints more than a few things,none of which are Reupold Flattering. Hint.

To be continued. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Time after time.
Rifle after rifle.
You see a guy at the range with what should be a accurate rifle.
Shooting 1.5 groups.
Blaming the ammo.
Blaming the gun.
In every case there's a Leupold on top.
Friends don't let friends use poopie loopie erectors.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Merry Christmas to the LDS afficted ladies who own shit rifles and post faked pictures:

From THE WIZARD:

Enjoy.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Oh you again. Great.

I have another fake picture. Just for you. You will notice that the horse looking left is the same one in the other picture. Wearing the same rig. A horseman such as yourself would pick up on that though. Shooting was at 50 yards this time. Still no guide.

Do people make shooting game appear difficult on purpose? Blows my mind.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Awesome pic once again pathfinder. Being a good marksman pales in comparison to being a bottom feeding zero in real life. I know you understand that, some people obviously don't. Merry Christmas!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Do people make shooting game appear difficult on purpose? Blows my mind.

everybody else is weighed in so I guess I will. I'm going to make it short and simple

testing the scope alone in a known jig the test for scope function is the first thing to do

checking rifle mounts rings and such for being squaredible above bore is second step..

getting mounted absolutely square to above bore would be the final step or maybe step three

.actually shooting would be my final step.
actually shooting without verifying on mechanics first can be a waste of time because of human error and or environmental factors..

the one thing I will disagree with some people on you need to learn to shoot your gun perfectly square and your scope radical set search not learn to shoot your gun with your scope radical square even though your gun m
ay be can it in your scope can it in your rings...

Some do
Great picture.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Awesome pic once again pathfinder. Being a good marksman pales in comparison to being a bottom feeding zero in real life. I know you understand that, some people obviously don't. Merry Christmas!
You’re obviously talking about Burns. LOL

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I wouldn't expect a Leupold to track as expected. I have 5 and none of them adjust close to what the dials say. I will never buy another one. The.new.ones don't hold up long and don't track. At least the old models held zero for a few years once set.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
with the precision you play with in mind what Scopes in your experience make the better list and what Scopes make the not so good list as a general rule..

While there's no doubt that certain brands show certain trends (good and bad), it's really about each individual scope. The adjustment method, how the erector tube pivots and how the tube is loaded (spring tension) are the big factors in how scopes track.

Most scopes have a sharp edged round plunger that pushes directly on the erector tube. As the tube moves further, it rides closer to the edge of the plunger...pretty soon you have two narrow edges for contact points which is going to influence the consistency of adjustments. Sightron, for example, uses an integral ring around the erector tube where the plunger rides against the ring for consistent contact throughout the travel. It's one of the reasons that Sightron scopes have a reputation for reliable tracking. Here's a view of it:

Weaver's well known Micro Trac system was similar with the adjuster plunger pushing on carbide balls that drove the erector assy. The steel tube Weaver T's have a very stout erector tube pivot system. When Weaver moved to the aluminum 'T' series, they kept the carbide ball adjustment system but changed the pivot system.

Scopes that use the worm drive system for w/e adjustments tend to track very well. Good examples of those are the IOR Valdada Benchrest series. Several of the Athlon models also use that system and track very well. This Athlon I bought is one of the best tracking scopes I've ever tested, regardless of brand or price. It's on a PRS center fire rifle right now and hasn't missed a beat for two seasons.

So the answer is...it depends. I like to test them statically to make sure they are worth putting on. If that's all good, the range work is the final determiner.

Scopes don't have to be perfect. As long as the 'drift' is within the accuracy requirements for what's required of the gun, you can get away with a fair amount of wander in tracking and RTZ with power changes and after recoil. If all that's needed is a gun that shoots to 1 MOA, the window is quite a bit wider that a gun that needs to be capable of shooting sub 1/8 MOA five shot groups. A PRS gun with an honest 1/2 MOA accuracy shooting at 2 MOA and 3 MOA targets doesn't need to have a scope that tracks as well as a short range (100-300 yds) real Benchrest rig that shoots at targets that are 1/16" at 100, 1/8" at 200 and 1/4" at 300, for example. The PRS guns need sturdy externals to take the knocks and tracking that's within the window of the targets accuracy demands. Real Benchrest guns need absolute tracking and rock solid internals. If the scope has 1/8" adjustments, it must move that amount with each click. And return to zero.

One scope isn't 'better' than the other...different tools for different games, is all.

I didn't realize Charley Robertson had changed his mind about making his barrelled action and scope mounting platform for resale...at least he didn't when I talked with him about it. I have to call him with an order of ProBed this week so I'll ask him about it and report back.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks for the tutorial and pics Al. Worth a 1000 or 10000 words.

Merry Christmas.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
I didn't realize Charley Robertson had changed his mind about making his barrelled action and scope mounting platform for resale...at least he didn't when I talked with him about it. I have to call him with an order of ProBed this week so I'll ask him about it and report back.

Good shootin' -Al

If the actual platform is for resale, that’s news to me.

Where did you hear that?

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Merry Christmas , Brother Al. You have brought unseen before knowledge to us here on the Fire. Your optic testing knowledge us unmatched.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
(2) different rifles,no ammo particulars cited,no TTT,no mention of base/rings,both scopes SFP,both Mil/MOA erector/reticle juxtaposed,atmospheric conflicts and a ring "adjustment" which "might" have happened?!? None of which involved The "Magic" Scope "Checker". Fhuqking Magnificent HILARITY!. Hint..

I know reading comprehension is very difficult, but he didn’t build the platform until after noticing the problems he had at the range with those two rifles with scopes mounted in normal shop conditions.

The problem was the slight difference in the precision of the shop scope mount.

But you would have understood that if you could read and process normally 😂😂

By the way, those were the first two rifles chambered for 6.5 Creedmoor other than by Hornady as I understand. Hornady sent the original reamer to Charley to chamber a match rifle for their sponsored shooter here in town. The ammo was Hornady factory 140 gr A-Max Match ammo that Hornady supplied since it wasn’t on the market or available

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Riar Rarry can't stop Rying. Hint.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for posting that Al! Good reading.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So:

Is there anybody in the thread other than Rick C who has dialed and killed a critter beyond 600yds? Other than me.

LiL Fish, Al Numbnuts, and DaveTheDumbazz keep posting but have zero experience. Z.E.R.O

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Page 21 of 254 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 253 254

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

487 members (10gaugemag, 1badf350, 222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 44 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,600
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.