Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All the other Leupold "fakes" that I have ever seen, the serial number is all numbers, no letters. It appears there is a fresh counterfeit out there or at least new to me. I got screwed on a pair of them and both have the same serial number. I am only posting this in hopes that other members don't get screwed too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks 160

I was offered a few Mark4’s 2 years ago and went to check them out. They were in a white “Leupold” box and the front bell was machined at an angle. I asked the seller where he got them, and he beamed and said what a deal he got on them from wish.com…

I don’t believe he knew they were counterfeit at the time. He was upset (not with me) when I explained to him they were fakes. They also had SN’s with only numbers… the fakers are getting smarter.

Sorry for your swindling👎🏻

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the heads up! The gold ring and letters just don't add up.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
FYI, both have the same serial number so I suspect that whole batch does. It may be worth keeping a picture of that serial number to reference.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I purchased two in one week off Gunbroker last summer. Both where VX3 3.5-10. Luckily both very reputable sellers that where mortified they where duped and never meant to dupe anyone. They refunded me 100%. Another big tell is the power adjustment knob is plastic, and it moves a slight amount back and forth. Thanks for posting. Really stinks that you gotten taken advantage of.

I walk around like I'm ok, but deep down inside, I wanna buy another gun.
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I came very close to buying a Swarovski from a reputable GS in northern WI...couple years ago. As I played around with it a blue reticle turned up.

The owner was pretty surprised. I asked him if he bought it in a bar.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Is it true that the gloss ones are not fakes yet? I stay away from matte used ones, I’ll just buy new if I need one for this reason.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
🤬 thanks for letting us know.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sorry to Hear this Sir! Hate a scammer / thief!

I probably picked a bad time to list a Leupold… Ha!

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PolarBear
Sorry to Hear this Sir! Hate a scammer / thief!

I probably picked a bad time to list a Leupold… Ha!

I would have ZERO concerns buying one from you! None what so ever.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Leupold powers up to the right. Knock offs power up to the left. Simple difference

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
On every counterfeit Leupold I have seen, the power ring is backwards like the one shown in the picture.

Also, the turret caps are higher.

This one also shows a Roman numeral on the objective bell, not a 3i.

I have seen VX2 on the bottom of turret and a VX-II on the bell.

Mil-dot reticle is another red flag.

Last edited by rmb721; 03/24/24.

NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Adjustment caps are larger on knock offs won't interchange. Leupold is smaller diameter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dan87
Is it true that the gloss ones are not fakes yet? I stay away from matte used ones, I’ll just buy new if I need one for this reason.

Gloss ones are genuine. Ive never seen one faked

I like guns | optics | fishing
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by 160user
All the other Leupold "fakes" that I have ever seen, the serial number is all numbers, no letters. It appears there is a fresh counterfeit out there or at least new to me. I got screwed on a pair of them and both have the same serial number. I am only posting this in hopes that other members don't get screwed too.

Mount one and shoot it! Report back please.

“There is no limit to the amount of good you can do if you don’t care who gets credit.” R. Reagan
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Not a chance. In a twist of fate, the guy that sold them to me turns out to be a member here. I just want my money back and he can stick his counterfeit scopes where the sun doesn't shine. I will see if he responds to my PM.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Where did you purchase them from so we know where to avoid?

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stang5021

It was at a local gun show. The guy is also a member here, as well as sells on eBay and Gunbroker. I sent him a PM asking what his reputation was worth but he just read it and deleted it.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Reupold!

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

It was at a local gun show. The guy is also a member here, as well as sells on eBay and Gunbroker. I sent him a PM asking what his reputation was worth but he just read it and deleted it.

Oh no….. I’m so sorry for your misfortune.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

Not a chance. In a twist of fate, the guy that sold them to me turns out to be a member here. I just want my money back and he can stick his counterfeit scopes where the sun doesn't shine. I will see if he responds to my PM.
I was just about to ask where you bought them. Was it a cheap price ? I wonder if they are a good scope?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Bad timing on my part. I was just about to list one of these. Now I will have to take a closer look.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
We need to know who to avoid.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker

That's not good.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought a tricked out 10/22 from a friend of a friend. He was up front and told me the scope was a fake Leupold, but 6 years later, still operates just fine.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Chumleyhunts
I bought a tricked out 10/22 from a friend of a friend. He was up front and told me the scope was a fake Leupold, but 6 years later, still operates just fine.

Hey, if he was honest about it I would have no hard feelings. When I brought them back to him to point out that they were a fake his response was "I never said they were a Leupold" so he knew they were fake. All through our discussions I referred to them as "Leupold's" and he never corrected me or came clean. It is sad that Brads reputation is only worth $500. Mine isn't for sale at any price.
I am going to sleep on this and decide what to do. I was hoping the seller would realize the poor judgement they exercised and decide to make it right. Other have suggested contacting Law Enforcement for "Theft by Swindle" charges. Either way, I just hate a blatant crook.

Last edited by 160user; 03/24/24.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'm honestly wondering how well the knock off tracks compared to the original.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would try and get my money back. I have a couple of them on rimfire rifles and they do good. I wouldn’t trust them on a high powered rifle. One thing if it’s off shooting at a squirrel that’s fine but a nice Buck hell no!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the pics and info. Good info to know and watch out for. Thanks again 160.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It seems like my "Circle of Trust" is about the size of a Cheerio anymore.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

Hey, if he was honest about it I would have no hard feelings. When I brought them back to him to point out that they were a fake his response was "I never said they were a Leupold" so he knew they were fake. All through our discussions I referred to them as "Leupold's" and he never corrected me or came clean. It is sad that Brads reputation is only worth $500. Mine isn't for sale at any price.
I am going to sleep on this and decide what to do. I was hoping the seller would realize the poor judgement they exercised and decide to make it right. Other have suggested contacting Law Enforcement for "Theft by Swindle" charges. Either way, I just hate a blatant crook.

Hopefully he comes to his senses, especially being a local Minnesota guy and a member on here and other sites. Whether he realized it or not, there is still the right thing to do, him knowing it and not doing the right thing just makes it that much worse. Good luck, sucks seeing a honest person taken advantage of.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tag

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Do Leupold scopes have the "x" on each power on the power ring?.... 3x 4x 5x etc?

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oakster
Do Leupold scopes have the "x" on each power on the power ring?.... 3x 4x 5x etc?

Honestly, I am not sure. It is one of those things that you look at so often and never even notice. I look at my license plate daily but can't tell you what it is. I can tell you Brad's though.

Last edited by 160user; 03/24/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oakster

My Leupolds don't have X's on the individual powers.

Don't know if that's the case on all.

LHS

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I’ve seen several at local gun shows here in Ms… Called them out every time…. Couple of guys at the tables didn’t believe me….. one was on a 722 222 remington I wanted the rifle but I told the man I wouldn’t buy it with a fake Leupold on it He got upset I asked him to call Leupold and give them the serial # he would t A month later at another show same man same 722 No fake Leupold on it…. He called it was a fake He apologized to me Tried to sell me the bare rifle I passed I had already bought a different 222 I hated it for him or any one else But it’s happening Be careful The adjustment knobs on them are just different and the gold rings just don’t ha VE the same look Last one I saw was a week ago at a show Guy had it on a boat paddle ruger…. I informed him it was a fake He clearly had it la eked on his tag Leupold I told him it was a fake… he stated it was crystal clear it was a Leupold… I bet him a $100 bill it was fake and to call Leupold now to confirm it He laughed and said I’ll call them monday I came back a little while later v snapped a pic And called Leupold myself Sure as shooting It was a fake 160user I hate it for you sir I’ve bought from you before You are one of the good ones here It’s a terrible feeling for sure

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Since it was a local gun show, file a police report and get it to whomever runs the gun show.

I almost bought some powder once at a gun show. All the containers had a price sticker. I lifted up a “pound” of RL15 since it wasn’t too high. It was way light and asked about it. The seller said, “I never said it was a full pound.” I despise people like that. PLEASE let us know who it is.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I usually either call Leupold or email them with serial number before I purchase.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have seen a fake Zeiss too, I mounted it for a customer at LGS. I told him it was fake.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by duke61
I usually either call Leupold or email them with serial number before I purchase.

Same here. A minute of prevention..

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
If I'm not mistaken, selling or attempting to sell merchandise made in another country, purporting to be a US copyrighted brand, is a federal offense.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
A easy way to tell is the screw on the power.adjustment ring is a rough finish,Not milled smooth;And the adjustment dials are a sticker rather than a ceramic texture,If anyone will text me threw my pm ,I'll be more than glad to send pictures to them to show how to tell the difference,I have them side by side comparison,Aso the Owner /Operating pamphlet will not have the Leupold address in Beverton Oregon on it anywhere,

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
You can't avoid them. They are everywhere. Legit business are getting duked. Me and a freind ordered a couple from wish . Just to see how they were. For a cheap hunting scope Tasco, Simmons, cheap weavers, they work for that. Glass is very subpar $60. However they track and can be hunted. My freind is still hunting with one. My curiosity was satisfied so I gave it away. They are in the states by the thousands. I don't own a leopold nor would I buy a used. I know you can call them with the serial # to check. Hiw long will it be until China finds a way to put real numbers on them.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
If it holds Zero and adjusts correctly its probably a Fake!!!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kk alaska

That one never gets old.....not.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
if they are still in the box, they usually misspell the word "matte" by listing it as "matt"

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Enjoyed a really smooth transaction with you 160.
Really hate to hear you got taken advantage of.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The guys argument is that he never told me they were Leupold's.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gankster
Leupold powers up to the right. Knock offs power up to the left. Simple difference

Good to know, thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
For the kinda cash you mentioned earlier it should have been understood that you thought they were legit. Unless someone wanted a cheap scope for a 22 I don't know anyone who would buy a fake leupold on purpose

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Fakes I've seen also have a brass colored gold ring and If you loosen the the eyepiece it will be very loose. No o-ring and loose threads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thats complete garbage. Have you named this user yet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rodney482

https://bemidji.craigslist.org/spo/d/park-rapids-leupold-vari-xiii-45-14/7730513893.html

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
They should not be anywhere in the country unless they say fake right on them. I would not put them on any guns.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

https://bemidji.craigslist.org/spo/d/park-rapids-leupold-vari-xiii-45-14/7730513893.html

Thank you - I attend the shows in MN when I'm in the area. I'll keep an eye out for 'Brad' and make sure to avoid him. Seems the best thing to do now days is buy new.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kk alaska

That is rich!!!! LMAO

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does anyone have photo comparisons?

Gun control means hitting your target.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate cheaters but I love a good stout rope..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If anyone is interested, check out 18 USC 2230 - which makes it a federal felony to sell counterfeit goods with a penalty of 10 years and $2M fine - first offense. Trademark violations are considered pretty serious. There is even a tip line at Homeland Security…

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I have picture comparisons if someone can post them for me,

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my friends bought several of the 2-7x33 VX2 knockoffs a couple of years ago to put on Ruger 10/22s for his grandkids. He gave me one of them to try and it held its zero through 500 rounds of 10/22 shooting. I helped him mount the scopes and bore-sight the rifles and noticed that all of the scopes that he bought had the same serial number, 434670X. I don't remember which way the collar turned to adjust the magnification up and down.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
What is “Brad’s” user name here on 24hcf?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Surprising how many guys are quick to judge when they only hear one side of the story. I took on the task of selling off a lot of items from a veteran with dementia that he can't use anymore. A lot of the stuff was picked up on the Monday before the show and since I already had 2 tables I called and was able to get a third table for his stuff. I never had time to go thru everything I just took it with me. I was able to get most of the stuff on the tables but I spent the first couple of hours just trying to price items. Thanks to the help from some other dealers I was able to price items close to what they should sell for. The scopes in question were still in the box uninspected by me but priced with no description or labels just a price. The dealer came to the table and wanted a deal on one of the scopes so I traded for some bullets at less then what the scope was priced. During the whole conversation the word Leupold was never mentioned once, the only thing he asked was if it was a 4.5-14 and I had to look at the scope to confirm that it was. After he walked away I looked the other one over and the scope seemed well made. The glass was clear and all the adjustments were tight and smooth so I thought maybe I was under priced. About a half hour later he came back and wanted the other one and this time we traded for some primers and again I took less in trade then I was asking for the scope. I figured I must have really under priced them. Some time after that I walked past his table and saw the scopes on his table with a large mark up of price and figured I must have really traded cheap but he was a dealer and needs to make some money too. A couple of hours after that he comes back to my table with the scopes and said they aren't Leupolds and I said what would you like to do because I never said they were Leupolds so how do you want to do this. He just gave me a blank stare, never said any more and walked away. All he had to do was say he screwed up and we should trade back and it would have been over. I never said they were Leupolds, I never labeled them that way, they were in the original boxes, he looked them over himself, I left the trade up to him, there was no cash involved, I left the final decision up to him and he walked away. I had a couple of used Leupolds on the table next to these and he could have looked them over and compared apples to apples but he was looking at a quick flip and make some easy cash. You guys can condem me all you want but I offered him a chance to drive down and trade back but he would rather smear me with your help. I have done a lot of business on these forums over the last 20+ years and not once have I ever had an issue and I have never used it to smear any other member. There isn't a single person on here who hasn't made a mistake at some time but you talk it out and make a decision you don't walk away and then bad mouth the other guy. I'm not going to use this forum for a pissing match because that's not what it's for but I will stand up for myself and if he is anything at all he will admit his lack of judgement and we can go from there. Now you have heard how the transactions really happened and we can move on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Exactly how much should fake Leupold's sell for? Did you ever inform him that you knew they were fake? You offer something for sale that is counterfeit, saying "I never said they were Leupold" is not a defense. That is an [bleep] move.

"I figured I must have really under priced them"

Did it not ever cross your mind that people thought they were legit scopes?

You're selling illegal counterfeit optics and you're blaming the buyer. That is not a good move. But hey, throwing out the helping a "veteran" card makes it all ok, right?

Last edited by drop_point; 03/25/24.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Brad,
Are you a lawyer by trade? Sure sound like one. "I never said they're a Leupold"....

All we should be reading is you admit to your mistake and how you can pay 160 back. Even if you're unable to collect from the veteran it's probably a drop in the bucket to what we owe our veterans for the lives we have.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Dinny
Brad,
Are you a lawyer by trade? Sure sound like one. "I never said they're a Leupold"....

All we should be reading is you admit to your mistake and how you can pay 160 back. Even if you're unable to collect from the veteran it's probably a drop in the bucket to what we owe our veterans for the lives we have.

Never taught that I Would Agreed with you Dinny, but you are 100% ''Correct''

Dirty Harry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold should have a utility on their website where you enter the SN and it tells you if it's legit and CDS used etc.

Seems to me that if you sell something that turns out to be fake/counterfeit that you have an obligation to take the item back regardless of what each party said or didn't say. Same thing with selling coins.

Thing is that you never know if the seller knew that he was selling fakes.

Like the gent selling for the vet. They aren't yours so you're not out anything, but he might be. You can take a BFH to them and put them out of their misery OR list them as counterfeits at a cheaper price. Make sure that buyer knows what they are buying [maybe sign a paper saying so] since it seems like they will work for someone. I will give the seller Brad the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know the scopes were fake until the buyer brought them back.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
This shouldn’t be too hard to sort out. Meet somewhere in the middle, trade back what you traded. Shake hands and be done with it.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m always interested in the whole story, and appreciate Brad providing his side. The only question I have is regarding the packaging.

“The scopes in question were still in the box uninspected.”

How were they packaged? Were the boxes labeled Leupold?

LHS

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S

And in return you have a scope laying on your gunshow table or whatever that is stamped “Leupold vx3” or whatever it was he would not need to tell you that it is Leupold. But he would need to tell you that even though it says Leupold it is not. If the item is branded as such it should be explained that it is not as it is branded.

Last edited by stang5021; 03/25/24.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I knew they weren't Leupolds and I figured he did. The word Leupold doesn't appear anywhere on the box and neither one of us even included the word in our conversation. He was looking at a quick flip for some easy cash. He looked them over and was happy with the trade. I never forced his hand and when he came back I asked him how he wanted to handle it and he just walked away. I never tried to sell the trade items I put them under the table in case he wanted to trade back. To me it was just another scope like the other dozen on the table. People looked at stuff on my tables all weekend, they asked questions, bought stuff, made offers and there was no issues. I have already made him the offer of trading back but he won't accept. I priced them at $250 with some room to accept offers and when I traded got around $200 to $225 in items at his price . A 4.5-14 Leupold new in the box is going to be $500+ and I had a couple of used Leupolds there priced in that area not in boxes. I never instigated the sale, he called the shots.

Last edited by brad6ppc; 03/25/24.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Some people aren't aware that there are counterfeit leupolds. It says leupold on the scope itself even if it doesn't say anything on a box. My dad has been conned with one of them too.

My generation is far less trusting than my father's generation for good reason. The world has changed and people have too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where does the linked Craigslist ad flow into the timeline here? Hopefully not still up as shown.
It had Leupold in the title, but I don't know how that came to be.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by brad6ppc
I knew they weren't Leupolds and I figured he did. The word Leupold doesn't appear anywhere on the box and neither one of us even included the word in our conversation. He was looking at a quick flip for some easy cash. He looked them over and was happy with the trade. I never forced his hand and when he came back I asked him how he wanted to handle it and he just walked away. I never tried to sell the trade items I put them under the table in case he wanted to trade back. To me it was just another scope like the other dozen on the table. People looked at stuff on my tables all weekend, they asked questions, bought stuff, made offers and there was no issues. I have already made him the offer of trading back but he won't accept. I priced them at $250 with some room to accept offers and when I traded got around $200 to $225 in items at his price . A 4.5-14 Leupold new in the box is going to be $500+ and I had a couple of used Leupolds there priced in that area not in boxes. I never instigated the sale, he called the shots.

"I figured he did." That's a poor defense when knowingly peddling counterfeit wares.

"The word Leupold doesn't appear anywhere on the box"

Were you peddling boxes or scopes?

If you were selling the large lot of counterfeit scopes for a demented veteran, why did you trade? Were you planning on paying the veteran for that scope? Or selling the components?

Knowing they were counterfeit, why did you agree to sell them??????????

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad, You said "I took on the task of selling off a lot of items from a veteran with dementia that he can't use anymore" but then you traded them for bullets and primers. What was a veteran with dementia going to do with bullets and primers?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Surprising how many guys are quick to judge when they only hear one side of the story. I took on the task of selling off a lot of items from a veteran with dementia that he can't use anymore. A lot of the stuff was picked up on the Monday before the show and since I already had 2 tables I called and was able to get a third table for his stuff. I never had time to go thru everything I just took it with me. I was able to get most of the stuff on the tables but I spent the first couple of hours just trying to price items. Thanks to the help from some other dealers I was able to price items close to what they should sell for. The scopes in question were still in the box uninspected by me but priced with no description or labels just a price. The dealer came to the table and wanted a deal on one of the scopes so I traded for some bullets at less then what the scope was priced. During the whole conversation the word Leupold was never mentioned once, the only thing he asked was if it was a 4.5-14 and I had to look at the scope to confirm that it was. After he walked away I looked the other one over and the scope seemed well made. The glass was clear and all the adjustments were tight and smooth so I thought maybe I was under priced. About a half hour later he came back and wanted the other one and this time we traded for some primers and again I took less in trade then I was asking for the scope. I figured I must have really under priced them. Some time after that I walked past his table and saw the scopes on his table with a large mark up of price and figured I must have really traded cheap but he was a dealer and needs to make some money too. A couple of hours after that he comes back to my table with the scopes and said they aren't Leupolds and I said what would you like to do because I never said they were Leupolds so how do you want to do this. He just gave me a blank stare, never said any more and walked away. All he had to do was say he screwed up and we should trade back and it would have been over. I never said they were Leupolds, I never labeled them that way, they were in the original boxes, he looked them over himself, I left the trade up to him, there was no cash involved, I left the final decision up to him and he walked away. I had a couple of used Leupolds on the table next to these and he could have looked them over and compared apples to apples but he was looking at a quick flip and make some easy cash. You guys can condem me all you want but I offered him a chance to drive down and trade back but he would rather smear me with your help. I have done a lot of business on these forums over the last 20+ years and not once have I ever had an issue and I have never used it to smear any other member. There isn't a single person on here who hasn't made a mistake at some time but you talk it out and make a decision you don't walk away and then bad mouth the other guy. I'm not going to use this forum for a pissing match because that's not what it's for but I will stand up for myself and if he is anything at all he will admit his lack of judgement and we can go from there. Now you have heard how the transactions really happened and we can move on.

Most of what Brad said is true. There were papers in the boxes (in the original pictures) that were Leupold. All through our dealings, I referred to them as Leupold's and he never corrected me. I will readily admit that I am the first person in history to buy something at a gun show that I thought was underpriced and then try to resell it for more. Guilty as charged. As far as his offer about "What I wanted to do now", I don't remember his saying that at all. The blank stare was likely rage. If he had offered, I would have taken him up on it. Why else would I have brought them back to him? We were in the same room together for another 24 hours and you never came and asked what we could do to correct this. I will take some ownership in this. I did the trade because I thought I could make a few bucks but I never lied or misrepresented what I had.
As far as the pissing match, I never once mentioned your user name. You did that yourself.

Last edited by 160user; 03/25/24.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
EOTech went thru this (fakes) ~15 years ago. DOJ got involved and guys selling them at gun shows had their entire supply seized.

So did Coach purses. When ghetto stores were selling them at too good to be true type prices the store would get raided and everything was seized.

Red flag for me is when the prize is too good.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Seems to me the buyer bears some responsibility to do 'due diligence'. Sounds like he did and only afterward realized he didn't inspect as thoroughly as he should have. Not the seller's fault or problem in my mind.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
What about selling the scopes at your cost and disclose they are knock offs ? We are now in a world where this is becoming more common with little to stop it. Misrepresenting an item is plain unethical. About 4 years ago I was at a gun show and a couple sellers I knew had some new Leupold scopes in Leupold boxes at about half price of what they should have been. I almost bought one, but I had a strange feeling about it. He sold them. I never heard of fake Leupolds back then. I’ve since read that China has copied Leupold scopes including the boxes. Their are a few ways to tell a fake, but the Chinese are getting smarter. Buyer beware!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Brad, You said "I took on the task of selling off a lot of items from a veteran with dementia that he can't use anymore" but then you traded them for bullets and primers. What was a veteran with dementia going to do with bullets and primers?

I would expect that he would sell them eventually.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You guys can say what you want because you weren't there to witness what what was said or how the transactions went. He was fine with everything and when he brought them back I asked him what he wanted to do and he ended up walking away. I have offered to trade back so it's up to him. Like I said I never looked at any of the paperwork, I looked at the second scope after he took the first but I never went over it with a fine tooth comb. I quickly checked function and clarity in between customers and it seemed like a decent scope, better then some others on the table. If they were illegal where did the original purchaser get it, he doesn't remember anything about it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys can say what you want because you weren't there to witness what what was said or how the transactions went. He was fine with everything and when he brought them back I asked him what he wanted to do and he ended up walking away. I have offered to trade back so it's up to him. Like I said I never looked at any of the paperwork, I looked at the second scope after he took the first but I never went over it with a fine tooth comb. I quickly checked function and clarity in between customers and it seemed like a decent scope, better then some others on the table. If they were illegal where did the original purchaser get it, he doesn't remember anything about it.

Your defense is you assume everybody knows that they are conterfeit and you're ignorant of the fact that it is illegal to sell counterfeit wares?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never knew anything about this whole issue, it's not like it's on the nightly news. This is only the second gun show I have set up at since 1998. The kids are all out of the house so I figured I would start going again. But after all this crap it will be my last one. I will take everything back and the veterans wife will have to figure out something else.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

And what a genuine, heartfelt offer it is! I stand corrected guys.

If you want to drive your sorry ass down here and trade back that's fine but you better go back to every person you bad mouthed me to and go in every forum and admit you were stupid enough to not know the difference because when I get done everyone is going to know the truth about the whole transaction and not what you're telling them

Last edited by 160user; 03/25/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never knew anything about this whole issue, it's not like it's on the nightly news. This is only the second gun show I have set up at since 1998. The kids are all out of the house so I figured I would start going again. But after all this crap it will be my last one. I will take everything back and the veterans wife will have to figure out something else.

So you didn't know that there was an issue with fake scopes being sold? Then why did you price them so much less than genuine articles? Or did you not know that using another company's name, logo, branding, etc on a similar good was wrong?

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Do you see what I mean here?

I knew they weren't Leupolds and I figured he did.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never seen Leupold anywhere on them and I never priced them that way. I was really busy taking care of people and trying to price things, answer questions and such. If I would have had more time to inspect all the items in the totes it would have helped. As soon as I started unpacking the dealers were there asking about items and the public shortly after. I was by myself doing the best I could. If you guys have never set up at a gun show, especially after so much time has passed, it was overwhelming with 3 tables full of stuff.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I made the offer to trade back repeatedly now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My ignore list groweth.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everything is being counterfeited today not limited to , Zeiss, Swarovski, Eotech's, Leupolds, and other brands. They show up at flea markets, Ebay, and Amazon from sellers.
Evidently U.S. Customs are not doing a good job of stopping them at the port of entry.
I have no dog in this fight but I strongly suggest you 2 MEN get together and get this straightened out , whatever it takes , especially since Brad admitted to committing a crime publicly here.
A persons reputation and "friendship" are worth more than any amount of Money , and I personally would do whatever it took to make my "customer" happy , even at my own expense.
Fighting over Chinese crap is not productive or worth it.

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If that offer to trade back was worded that way to me I wouldn't meet with someone like that again either.

160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mrmattjohnson
If that offer to trade back was worded that way to me I wouldn't meet with someone like that again either.

Exactly! If I had an "unhappy" customer and wanted to make things right I would have taken a different approach. He is on ignore now, here and in life.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never seen Leupold anywhere on them and I never priced them that way. I was really busy taking care of people and trying to price things, answer questions and such. If I would have had more time to inspect all the items in the totes it would have helped. As soon as I started unpacking the dealers were there asking about items and the public shortly after. I was by myself doing the best I could. If you guys have never set up at a gun show, especially after so much time has passed, it was overwhelming with 3 tables full of stuff.

First you assumed he knew they were fake. Then it was "it didn't say Leupold on the box". Now "I never seen Leupold anywhere on them".

Hmmmm, ever changing story.

You sold counterfeit goods, end of discussion. You not only broke the law, but you also keep changing your story.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
He is not a customer, he is a dealer. He wanted to make some quick easy cash. He had them marked up over double what we traded for. I have offered several times to trade back no matter how it's worded. I found out he lied about the whole transaction at the gun show too. You guys can put any slant on it you want but he approached me to make the deal and I agreed to his terms and since he is not happy I have offered several times now to trade back. I will return the scopes to the wife and let her do as she wants with them. Any other issues you guys have state them now, let's settle them and move on.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

You saw them in person before buying? Were they in a sealed box or are you blind?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He is not a customer, he is a dealer. He wanted to make some quick easy cash. He had them marked up over double what we traded for. I have offered several times to trade back no matter how it's worded. I found out he lied about the whole transaction at the gun show too. You guys can put any slant on it you want but he approached me to make the deal and I agreed to his terms and since he is not happy I have offered several times now to trade back. I will return the scopes to the wife and let her do as she wants with them. Any other issues you guys have state them now, let's settle them and move on.

He most certainly was your customer.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by drop_point

First you assumed he knew they were fake. Then it was "it didn't say Leupold on the box". Now "I never seen Leupold anywhere on them".

Hmmmm, ever changing story.

You sold counterfeit goods, end of discussion. You not only broke the law, but you also keep changing your story.

Both let greed cloud their judgement. There's only about 100 red flags those weren't legit Leupolds. One was hoping no one questioned it, the other was hoping to turn a profit.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I never saw Leupold anywhere on anything and I didn't advertise they were. I never knew about the fake stuff until I read about it this morning. You guys just assume that everybody knows everything you do just because you do. I haven't been around this stuff for years and so much of it looks alike. I had three spotting scopes on the table that looked so much alike you couldn't tell who the manufacturer was without looking at each one really close. Yeah I traded him and when he came back upset I asked him what he wanted to do twice and he just walked away. I could have sold the trade items but I hung onto them in case he came back wanting to trade back.

Last edited by brad6ppc; 03/25/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I could have sold the trade items but I hung onto them in case he came back wanting to trade back.

Wow

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
It’s poor character to knowingly and willingly sell, trade or represent a counterfeit product without full disclosure from the start! They should have never been offered at any price. That’s criminal. That’s not a judgement. That’s a fact.

History repeats itself because it worked. If it didn’t work in the first place, it wouldn’t be history but another lost story of insignificance.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"I knew they weren't Leupolds and I figured he did. "

"I didn't know about this fake stuff till this morning."

These are hard statements to square up in my mind.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X

Wow... that is some lowbrow crap there. You have your tit in a wringer over stuff that wasn't even yours.

If I talk over you, I apologize. I'm afraid I will lose my train-of-thought.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think both parties here are at fault and as such they should reverse the transaction and just BE FREAKIN DONE WITH ALL OF THE CRY BABY BU@$ CHIT!! PLEASE BE ADULTS AND GET IT DONE.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad stop talking

Get w 160 and trade back and be done with this.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

He knew exactly what he had and knew exactly what he was doing. Otherwise, why would he have hung onto the trade items in case the other party came back and wanted to reverse the deal?

That isn't someone thinking the buyer might have buyer's remorse, that's someone thinking there's a good chance they're going to be caught.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you knew that they were knockoffs, you should have identified them that way. Not doing so looks like an overt act of dishonesty on your part to me, but I'm a real black and white guy when it comes to the truth, no gray area.

They are marked "Leupold" and most people would assume that because they are marked that way, they are what they appear to be.

Or so it seems to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No way to square it. He has lied in this thread.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
If you “didn’t know what they were” how did you come up with a price? I would assume you would glance at a scope to come up with a value for your buddy’s stuff and not give his stuff away on them. And then you traded for other stuff for them, I’m sure they gave you stuff to put out cause they wanted/needed money not to get more primers and reloading bullets. Almost sounds as if you were trying to take advantage of the giver and the receiver which you were successful at which is why your getting flamed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give it up Brad. You keep digging your hole deeper and deeper. When you keep changing your story, they call that lying.

I have seen these scopes at gun shows several times. I always have pointed out to the dealer that they are fake. They always get the same attitude and get huffy with me. I have never pointed out that it is illegal to sell them. I will the next time. If you have those scopes on your table and no signage saying they are fake, you are a crook already. And Brad, you knew they were fake.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Ok you guys won. I'm not selling any more if his stuff, I will take it back and they will have to deal with it. I made several offers to trade the stuff back to 160user and he is just happy that all you guys beat me up like you did. I won't be on this site anymore.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
6 pages because the guy that thought he was going to take the other guy and it didn't work out like he thought it would. There's NO victim here, just 2 guys that thought they were going to take the other guy! Look at the pics on page 1, the bell shows GLARE III and the bottom middle shows VX-3i, not to mention the power ring. I've had 1 transaction with Brad, and for that 1 transaction, he was stellar. Good pics, good description, talked on the phone and fast shipping. But these are 2 gunshow cowboys, period! Shame on both of you, but first and always, buyer beware!

And some of you guys sure jump to conclusions awful fast, facts be damned! So blindly believe one, and so blindly disbelieve another.

On that note, I have some Leupolds to sell. Please PM me for details!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
KLM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Brad:
I will ask 160user to point you out to me to ensure I never do business with you at a gun show.
IMHO, regardless of who bares what percentage of the fault, as a dealer you owe it to the buying public to let them know when you are selling fake counterfeit items. It is dealers acting like you did that gives some of you a bad name.
Thankfully I know some dealers that I can trust and they get my business.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Not taking either one's side, they're both to blame. This was 2 dealers dealing, period. Too many decades of gunshows not to recognize it.

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 03/25/24.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
The biggest victim here is Leupold, another American company that has its struggles and has to deal with crooks capitalizing on their hard earned name.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Alan_C
The biggest victim here is Leupold, another American company that has its struggles and has to deal with crooks capitalizing on their hard earned name.
Amen, Brother Camper

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ok you guys won. I'm not selling any more if his stuff, I will take it back and they will have to deal with it. I made several offers to trade the stuff back to 160user and he is just happy that all you guys beat me up like you did. I won't be on this site anymore.

Boohoo

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got burned with one last week and all of the stuff you guys are saying is giveaways, on this one is correct. probably a new and better, more accurate batch. Brad said he didn't have time to inspect them before 160 tried to BEAT the public and make a few bucks. Maybe he was in too much of a hurry to SEE what he bought. I'll eat mine, use it on a 22 or something, the guy at Leupold said they are made in the same factories as several other scopes. BUYER BEWARE. LOL

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
160, dont blame you one bit for being upset i would be too. You're spot on that he knew he was swindling you. Shame what a fella will do to make a couple buck.

I wasn't trying to call you out in any way when I mentioned about my fake, looking now i can see my post could have been taken wrong.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
160user Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
160, dont blame you one bit for being upset i would be too. You're spot on that he knew he was swindling you. Shame what a fella will do to make a couple buck.

I wasn't trying to call you out in any way when I mentioned about my fake, looking now i can see my post could have been taken wrong.

I never took it that way Sir. The whole intent was to make people aware that the new fakes are far better than the old ones and to watch out for them. The seller chimed in and it turned into a urination contest so I took the afternoon off and went and tried to make some room in the garage. We are all good my friend!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Craigslist ad previously linked, where the seller had them listed as "Leupold..." for $250 each has been deleted some time in the last few hours. At least this thread may have saved some others from being hoodwinked.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Fake Leupolds are such a thing right now that Leupold has a counterfeit warning on the home page of their website

I guess a guy will need to call them to verify with the serial number from here on out

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I've said it before from the counterfeit several years ago. I always wonder about the people that complain about the junk Leupolds if they got a real one or a counterfeit..

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fake Boobs are about the only Thing I would never complain about getting my hands on... just sayin ! lol

You know you might be facing your doom if all you get is a click when you are expecting a BOOM !
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by Mooseman684
Fake Boobs are about the only Thing I would never complain about getting my hands on... just sayin ! lol

I would second that!!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

What about if they were on a dude though? Haha

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Most anything related to guns and/or shooting is usually removed pretty quickly from CL. They don't allow guns or ammo to be listed/sold there. List it and their forum police are all over it like stink on chit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I think both parties here are at fault and as such they should reverse the transaction and just BE FREAKIN DONE WITH ALL OF THE CRY BABY BU@$ CHIT!! PLEASE BE ADULTS AND GET IT DONE.

He should return the bullets and other item and let him keep the scopes since they're fakes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TRnCO
Fake Leupolds are such a thing right now that Leupold has a counterfeit warning on the home page of their website

I guess a guy will need to call them to verify with the serial number from here on out

I don't see such a warning on their home page.

Best bet is buy new from a reputable source.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Kenwin

What about if they were on a dude though? Haha

You just Had to go there didn't you ....rain on my fantasy, DOH!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Enjoy life but remember, we are only practicing for something Better
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
China is coping so many things not only scopes. American hot rod parts, heads intakes distributors etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brownbear270
China is coping so many things not only scopes. American hot rod parts, heads intakes distributors etc.

It has gotten out of hand.

Spark plugs, fuel injectors, etc.

Packaging and product look 99% in many cases. Can't buy any of this chit online anymore.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont even buy his “selling for a sick veteran” line.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I called Leupold yesterday regarding a scope. Within a few minutes, they verified a S/N as being legitimate. It was pretty quick and easy.
donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ldholton
I've said it before from the counterfeit several years ago. I always wonder about the people that complain about the junk Leupolds if they got a real one or a counterfeit..
Yeah, I always wonder if the fake Leupolds might actually hold zero and adjust correctly, unlike many real Leupolds that need regular trips back to Oregon for erector replacement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Clara Barton: I distinctly remember forgetting that.

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SKane

Clara Barton: I distinctly remember forgetting that.

The truth is much easier to remember…..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I dont even buy his “selling for a sick veteran” line.

X2

He was trying to use the veteran and the other guy trying to make a buck to justify him selling fake shiit!

Last edited by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG; 03/26/24.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Earlier you wrote:

I knew they weren't Leupolds.

And now, you say:

I never knew about the fake stuff until I read about it this morning.

Sounds a bit contradictory to me...

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Good! The more you type the easier it is to see how crooked you are. Invariably, you will be back just to check on things so let me kindly ask you to just stay gone.

I've had nothing but honest and timely transactions with 160user.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tred1956

I wonder how much it costs Leupold to return counterfeits. Would they be justified in destroying them? Or should they require a fee to return them?

Last edited by antelopedundee; 03/26/24.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
It should not cost Leupold to send back counterfeits.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rmb721

I've never sent them anything for any reason. When you send stuff in for repair is there a charge for return shipping? Do they notify you before returning anything?

Last edited by antelopedundee; 03/26/24.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by antelopedundee

I've never sent them anything for any reason. When you send stuff in for repair is there a charge for return shipping? Do they notify you before returning anything?

Leupold does not charge shipping to return items in for repair or replacement if repairs can not be made. They do notify you about repairs or replacements.

You only pay the shipping to ship to Leupold.

Last edited by rmb721; 03/26/24.

NRA Endowment Member
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well since you asked for us to state any other issues now, It is my opinion you are done on this board and have no chance to salvage your reputation. Bye.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
brad6ppc, after reading through all this you're a mfk'ing thief in my opinion.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm not selling any more if his stuff, I will take it back and they will have to deal with it..

OK, my question to you, Brad, is this: You offered to help a "veteran with dementia" sell stuff he could no longer use. But because of what transpired with the scopes, you are now crawfishing on that and not going to help the family. Why would you back out on your offer to help a veteran? I just don't understand how that has anything to do with what transpired between you and the OP at the gun show.

Our veterans have been crapped on enough already. Maybe another forum member in that area of MN could step in and help him out since you no longer will do so.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Good point Bobby! Kinda sorta along the same line of thought I had.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I apologize for changing gears in this thread. I don’t wish to take part in the above mentioned story, but I have a question pertaining to fakes:

What models in the Leupold lineup have been verified as fakes? VX models, mark models, HD’s etc. I would like to be better educated on the matter. Thanks

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Maybe us sellers and buyers could utilize a Leupold company confirmation # tagged with the seller to confirm it’s company backed production. Just a thought

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I think it is mostly VX models. Probably other newer models too.

I have never seen a counterfeit Vari-x model. Same with gloss scopes.

NRA Endowment Member
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I think it is mostly VX models. Probably other newer models too.

I have never seen a counterfeit Vari-x model. Same with gloss scopes.

Typically VX and Mark 4s - I've seen both.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What models in the Leupold lineup have been verified as fakes? VX models, mark models, HD’s etc. I would like to be better educated on the matter. Thanks

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe us sellers and buyers could utilize a Leupold company confirmation # tagged with the seller to confirm it’s company backed production. Just a thought

A number that could be faked?? No thanks, I'll call Leupold myself.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
While they are getting more sophisticated with making the cheap clones, it's still pretty easy to tell real from fake. If you familiarize yourself with the product line, there's no need to call Leupold or Zeiss or whoever to confirm. A little diligence is all it takes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Someone paid $746 for this used scope on gunbroker. I guess AO, red-green illumination, fonts that Zeiss never used along with numerous other red flags weren't enough to tip off the buyer.

The seller clearly called it a Zeiss.

The Leupold clones posted at the beginning of this thread are much more convincing than the Zeiss clones.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

I completely agree. I was just creating conversation in the hopes that something could be created and streamlined to curb these issues going forward.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Someone paid $746 for this used scope on gunbroker. I guess AO, red-green illumination, fonts that Zeiss never used along with numerous other red flags weren't enough to tip off the buyer.

The seller clearly called it a Zeiss.

How does GB feel about their platform being used to facilitate the sale of counterfeit items? Do they require sellers to delete such listings? I supposed that I could read their TOS. If you notify a seller directly it might be like eBay where the seller may or may not take it down.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

As much as I hate to say it, there will probably come a day where calling Leupold isn't really going to help. If you sit back and think about it, you can get around that as well. There are plenty of pics floating around of legit scopes of every model showing the serial #'s.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SquibLoad

As much as I hate to say it, there will probably come a day where calling Leupold isn't really going to help. If you sit back and think about it, you can get around that as well. There are plenty of pics floating around of legit scopes of every model showing the serial #'s.

I'll not discount that as a possibility but Leupold CS has provided enough other details about the scopes I've inquired about to satisfy my curiosity of geniuneness.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Brad said he is gone, now we have to look at every new member from Mn being Brad, sad.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rather than suck it up and absorb the loss is it human nature to try to pass the loss onto someone else?

Something to ponder.

https://forums.collectors.com/discu...ll-on-craigslist-i-do-bought-this-for-1k

BB3 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a VX-3i 1.75-6x32 fake that I'd sell for cheap if anyone is interested.

"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean."

-Sir Isaac Newton
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I would ask the moderators, do we want a deceptive seller here ?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,601
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.