Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I know this has been beaten to death. Really wanting another 375 but i can't seem to find anything in and H&H that has CRF that doesn't weigh 10 lbs. I want one with backup sights and be around 8 pounds. I'd love to have an old Model 70 Classic or classic stainless, but they are hard to find. I really like the Hawkeye african, but still kinda leary of the 375 ruger and ammo. I don't reload as of yet, but working on it.

My main question is, has anyone heard whether any other ammo manufacturers are talking of picking it up? Everywhere i check is real low or out of all the hornady rounds. Figured if i get to go to africa in the next few years, i could take the ruger and my no 1 in H&H just in case something gets lost in the trip.

I want a new rifle, but just kinda doubting what i need. I just wish they would make the african in an H&H and that would make it soooo much easier.

Last edited by Phoneman; 03/14/11.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You've looked at Kimber in .375 H&H?

Or the new Win 70? Not sure what they weigh, but the Kimber feels pretty light.

Guy

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
not sure whether i can afford the kimber, but i do like the winchesters. They are made about 45 minutes from my house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get a .375 H&H if you can.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
I'm pretty sure Double Tap makes 375 Ruger ammo.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_99

Custom Cartirdge Inc.
http://customcartridge.com/order/list.php?gval%5BProdCaliber%5D=375+Ruger&gval%5BProdUseGeneral%5D=Hunting&pricing=&action=Search

KC Precision
http://kcprecisionballistics.com/375rubax.html

Several options available. And it's gonna get better. Good luck finding a 8lb. H&H off the shelf.

IC B2

W
wwy Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Double Tap is producing loaded ammo in the Ruger as well.
http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_99

I have not used it. I went with the Ruger as it was the only stainless, left hand, short barreled bolt I could find/that exists. I am happy with it in all ways so far. With 270 grain factory loads it shot a five shot 5/8th inch group at 100 yards. Plus the rifle cost 1/3 the price of any other left handed 375 bolt gun.

Edit:sorry X2mos didn't see your reply

Last edited by wwy; 03/14/11.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
i knew double tap made it, didn't know the other two. Might be the wway to go. I've not read anything bad about em except for ammo availability. Might make a great all around rifle, especially if i start reloading.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I handload for my 375 Ruger, easy to get good results. Perhaps you could get help from an experienced friend?
If you are going to RSA they only allow one gun of a given caliber, regardless of cartridge, ie: no 44mag with a 444, no 375 HH with a 375 Ruger,

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.375 Dakota?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by whelennut
.375 Dakota?

Now there is a round you can find at Gert and Izzy's Gas & Grub in Snake Navel ID on a Sunday night. crazy

wink grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ok Swampy The Horse&Horse action is better than what? Comback son

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I admit that most 375 H&H's are heavier than they need to be....that said,at least one member here had his M70 Classic barrel turned down....another had it fluted.Both methods cut weight considerably....

OR, you can build a 375H&H....you will get a rifle just as light as any 375 Ruger.I know....I have one.

Last Ruger African I weighed(nice rifle!)was 8 pounds naked. Add scope and rings, you're at 9 pounds.Still not bad for a 375 of any type, but a full pound hevaier than my 375H&H.

I like the Ruger 375 real well...great cartridge but not enough more of anything to make me switch over.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Sorry BobinNH more of 416 ger my self. Oh just giving our delta gecko a little crap.kawi

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Either the H&H or Ruger are equally effective IMO - I have both and like both. It comes down to fit and handling of the particular rifle, and what you like. I happen to like the Ruger version in the African - it's light, feels right, points very well, and won't break the bank. But I won't trade away my M-70 with a a 25" barrel - the pre-64 in the H&H is the ultimate classical medium bore. They're different but both do the job.

Always a good reason for a new rifle. smile

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I handload my ammo for the hunt so I don't need to buy it at a gas station. YMMV
whelennut

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hope you can get it where you need to use it. Many airlines won't knowingly transport reloads.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I hope you can get it where you need to use it. Many airlines won't knowingly transport reloads.

Which airlines would those be? I just checked the ones I fly on a regular basis and reloads aren't mentioned anywhere. I also checked with a couple folks who have/are doing Africa and learned the same. Packaging is addressed "securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges." but nothing about reloads.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
FWIW,

Since Ruger is to release the African in 9.3x62, my plan is to pick up one of those. My M70 375H&H will go in for a rebore/chamber to 458 Lott. It's weighted about right for that round IMHO. Combining the 9.3x62 with my 416 Rigby or the 458 Lott will give me a nice combo for anything across the globe with the 9.3 capable of backing up the other two in a pinch.

David

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most say in original unopened boxes.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
So which ones are "most" as I checked several?

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn good thing I am finding out now that I couldn't fly with handloads,so I can get off all those flights that I wasn't supposed to be on for the past 30+ years.....before they call and tell me I wasn't supposed to have done it...and before they take action retroactively....against me....

I coulda lost a lot of money that I would/should not have spent to get thrown off now.....instead...so thanks for letting me know back then...when I should not have done it....

Does this make any sense to anyone reading this? crazy

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
No, which is why I'm politely asking for clarification prior to calling bullchit. I have now upped my check from "several" to "a bunch" and can't find any such thing.

George

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Typical Swampcrotch bullshit. Reloads are fine as long as they are in boxes, cardboard, plastic or metal. A good question would be, how many times has he been on an airliner with guns & ammo?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rules have changed several times just lately.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
So which airlines are you referring to?

George

Last edited by NH K9; 03/15/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The swamp-itch is at it again....spouting crap he knows nothing about!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I handload my ammo for the hunt so I don't need to buy it at a gas station. YMMV
whelennut

Yeah, but what if you forgot to pack it, or the baggage handlers lost it? confused

Actually, I load all my hunting ammo too, and yours is a very cool round, IMO. wink

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I know this has been beaten to death. Really wanting another 375 but i can't seem to find anything in and H&H that has CRF that doesn't weigh 10 lbs. I want one with backup sights and be around 8 pounds. I'd love to have an old Model 70 Classic or classic stainless, but they are hard to find. I really like the Hawkeye african, but still kinda leary of the 375 ruger and ammo. I don't reload as of yet, but working on it.

My main question is, has anyone heard whether any other ammo manufacturers are talking of picking it up? Everywhere i check is real low or out of all the hornady rounds. Figured if i get to go to africa in the next few years, i could take the ruger and my no 1 in H&H just in case something gets lost in the trip.

I want a new rifle, but just kinda doubting what i need. I just wish they would make the african in an H&H and that would make it soooo much easier.
..........Yup! Been beaten to death and then some. So let`s have some more fun, debate and beat it some more. laugh

At one time, I did own a Win 375 H&H. It weighed about 11 lbs or so w/scope and was about 46" long. Although I`m quite strong, it nevertheless handled like a pig attached to the end of a shovel. Winchester and Browning have lightened their newer 375 H&H rifles up a bit, but still have the same `ol longer 375 H&H overall rifle lengths. The 375 H&H Kimbers are not exactly light either.

Then came along the 20" barreled, 40.75" OAL 375 Ruger Alaskan which I bought new in early `08. To say the least, a huge difference for the better in every conceivable handling dept; speed, handiness, shouldering, carrying; you name it. Many don`t care for its Hogue stock and it can be swapped! I just happen to like it. Mine weighs right at a hair over 9 lbs with scope. Listed weight for the Alaskan without scope and rings is 8 lbs.

While there is no killing difference between the 375 Ruger and 375 H&H, the 375 Ruger Alaskan nevertheless does duplicate any and all performance ballistics that any longer barreled and longer lengthed 375 H&H rifle can dish out. Much better handling from a shorter OAL rifle that gives up nothing ballistically to any longer 375 H&H rifle, is the Ruger Alaskan`s theme song. And it doesn`t disappoint.

As with all newly intro`d cartridges (especially those that have grown by leaps `n bounds in popularity) such as the 375 Ruger, many out of the way gun stores and other local gun stores don`t have ammo availability as of yet. As a reloader, I don`t need to worry about 375 Ruger ammo. Brass is available. In the future, I suggest you become a reloader.

Should you delight yourself and engage in a N/American or long ranged out of the country hunting trip, baggage handlers and airlines will not know the difference in whether you have a 375 Ruger rifle and its reloaded/factory ammo or a 375 H&H rifle and its ammo. One can get lost in transport just as easily as the other. In either case, your PH will have back up rifles and ammo for just such situations. Though it can happen, this losing of rifles and ammo in transport and,,,"therefore I should not buy any newer cartridge regardless of how popular",,,is a bunch of crap! This particular argument is always brought out when anyone comtemplates purchasing a newer round. I guess back in 1912 and through the late teens, people were afraid to pack up their newly intro`d 375 H&H rifles and ammo and trek to exotic hunting destinations too uh? Yeah right!

You can also call Hornady and learn from them, that they already have and are in fact still in the process of acquiring more distribtion approval permits for various So African provinces for their 375 and 416 Ruger factory ammo. Aside from Africa, Hornady`s worldwide distribution process is ongoing. And it happens to be a fact, that African PHs are getting their hands on 375 and 416 Ruger rifles. Does anyone think that Hornady would introduce two obvious winning cartridges, and then NOT have an going program for worldwide distribution?

If your priority is the more traditional and/or more on the nostalgic side, then get a 375 H&H and live with the added rifle length, weight and the more difficult handling. But if you want a powerhouse with the same or slightly better ballistic performance chambered in a shorter and better handling overall pkg which is just as accurate, then the 375 Ruger is your choice chambered in either the Ruger Alaskan or African. Both are extremely durable, accurate, and both feed flawlessly as well. Mine is and does!

The 20" barreled Howa M1500 chambered in the 375 Ruger would also fall into the great handling, accurate and durable categories and at a great price too.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by luv2safari
whelennut

Yeah, but what if you forgot to pack it, or the baggage handlers lost it? confused

Actually, I load all my hunting ammo too, and yours is a very cool round, IMO. wink

My wife works as a travel agent and I think it is probably just as likely that they would lose your rifle. Then what would you do without a rifle? Probably either wait at the airport for it or borrow from someone else.
We flew to Alaska for our wedding anniversary to hunt caribou and we both used reloads. Nobody cared!
whelennut

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think what Swampy is thinking is not reloads, but what is stamped on the cartridge. For instance if you have 35 Whelen reloads in a 30-06 case, South African officials may frown on this. Whatever the gun has stamped as caliber, ammo has to have the same stamp on it. So, if you reload, you must use proper brass. I also think Federal is going to make the 375 and 416 Ruger rounds now. Both are very popular in Alaska. I read where someone is going to neck down the 375 ruger to .338 to try, and also 35 caliber.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Last April, SAPS never even asked about or to see our ammo (reloads btw, in plastic 20rd boxes). All they did was give the serial#'s a cursory look, took all of 5 min, out the door. Of course, Chris & Bruce from Gracy were there making things go very smoothly!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
CDNN is making the decision easier, if you can live without the barrel band.

.375 Ruger Africans for $650.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Rules have changed several times just lately.

Now that is a GREAT post!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I hear the "what if they lose your ammo" thing on this forum a lot.
I flew to Colorado to hunt elk a few years back and one of the guys had a rifle get lost on the way to Colorado?
Why is it that nobody ever asks that question?
What will you do if your rifle gets lost on the way to Africa?
I had a rifle confiscated in Amsterdam when changing planes 5 years ago.
It really sucks!
whelennut

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I fly internationally at least every 2 years and my work collegue flys annually. In addition to that, i have work teams come over here to Europe every Summer and in the last 6 years we've never, never had any of the airlines permanently loose a bag.

I live in Bosnia and the types of airlines who fly here are not always the most up-to-date in their technology. However, individual bar-codes on every checked bag makes the tracking headache go away. The longest we've waited for a bag was 3 days...

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
3 days would suck on a 7 day hunt in africa

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
why coming from so far for only 7 days ???!!!

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
just saying. Some are 7 day hunts. Might be all i'll be able to afford if i ever get to go!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am pretty more than sure the 375 Ruger is not going away. I am in the market for a 375 also and the CZ 550 in H&H is too long and heavy so it'll probably be the R Hawkeye African in 375 R which I may then do some twin king to. The Ruger cartridge is too well designed--ie, "30/06 length" action size--to disappear into the dustbin of history. Us lefties are very limited.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I admit that most 375 H&H's are heavier than they need to be....that said,at least one member here had his M70 Classic barrel turned down....another had it fluted.Both methods cut weight considerably....

OR, you can build a 375H&H....you will get a rifle just as light as any 375 Ruger.I know....I have one.

Last Ruger African I weighed(nice rifle!)was 8 pounds naked. Add scope and rings, you're at 9 pounds.Still not bad for a 375 of any type, but a full pound hevaier than my 375H&H.

I like the Ruger 375 real well...great cartridge but not enough more of anything to make me switch over.

Bob, what stock is your 375 custom in? if you dropped the wood from the Ruger and dressed it in an ultralight stock, you might be able to save a few ounces....what about bottom metal, is your custom ultralight aluminum?
on top of that... and no knock to customs at all... the cost per ounce in that pound of weight difference are pretty expensive... a Ruger 375 can be had for around $700... my guess is that is about what you have in the barrel alone.

I'm not even sure what is out there for the 375 ruger but maybe the OP is best off to grab one and make some mods to lighten it up.

Andrew
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lovemy99

Bob, what stock is your 375 custom in? if you dropped the wood from the Ruger and dressed it in an ultralight stock, you might be able to save a few ounces....what about bottom metal, is your custom ultralight aluminum?
on top of that... and no knock to customs at all... the cost per ounce in that pound of weight difference are pretty expensive... a Ruger 375 can be had for around $700... my guess is that is about what you have in the barrel alone.

I'm not even sure what is out there for the 375 ruger but maybe the OP is best off to grab one and make some mods to lighten it up.

lovemy99:My 375 is built on a pre 64 M70 action,custom contoured barrel and Brown Precision stock.It was built back in the 80's and is on it's second barrel.With two piece base,rings, and 4X scope it weighs 8 pounds on the nose.

We can confuse factory rifles and custom here.Like I said,most factory H&H's have heavier barrels than needed. The bottom line is that the difference, in weight,between any 375(whether H&H or Ruger),is in barrel contour,and stock.

Ruger did a great job in the African and Alaskan,using a nicely contoured barrel,and in the African,a nicely shaped stock to give the rifle a trim contour and reasonable weight.I don't care for the Alaskan stock at all but that's a matter of preference.

My only point is not to disparage the 375 Ruger,nor the rifles.....only to point out that if you are building a rifle,you can build one just as light as the other in either caliber by getting a lighter barrel and stock.That is where the weight savings will be.....not in the "shorter action" of the Ruger chambering,as I have seen erroneously stated on here.The actions are not shorter on the Ruger; the magazine length and bolt throw are shorter....that's all.

In a factory offering, the Ruger is lighter than, say, a M70 Classic in 375.OTOH custom makers have been building H&H's that weigh exactly what the Ruger rifles weigh, for decades,in both synthetic, and higher end wood stocks.

It would be dead nuts simple to build a factory offering in 375H&H tomorrow that is just as light as the 375 Rugers;but manufacturer's are sometimes slow to catch on with many things.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/04/11.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BigS-

I pretty much see it that way too. As much as I'm nostalgic for the H&H and love it's excellence in moderation, the Ruger is the H&H in a more compact package and that includes the Hawkeye African rifle. I used the H&H in Africa and came to an appreciation for what's been known for decades now. That said I'm a lefty and am getting a Ruger African in their version of 375. The CZ 550's specs sound more appropriate for the 416s--too long and heavy for me. Of course I'm talking OTC rifles not custom.

The stuff about traveling with cartridges that get lost I think is over blown; I can think of 5 or 10 things that concern me more on An international flight than that.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/06/11.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
BigS-

I pretty much see it that way too. As much as I'm nostalgic for the H&H and love it's excellence in moderation, the Ruger is the H&H in a more compact package and that includes the Hawkeye African rifle. I used the H&H in Africa and came to an appreciation for what's been known for decades now. That said I'm a lefty and am getting a Ruger African in their version of 375. The CZ 550's specs sound more appropriate for the 416s--too long and heavy for me. Of course I'm talking OTC rifles not custom.

The stuff about traveling with cartridges that get lost I think is over blown; I can think of 5 or 10 things that concern me more on An international flight than that.
...............Yep! It`s not just the 375 Ruger round, it is also the rifles too. A shorter, better handling, and handier packaged 375 rifle such as my Ruger Alaskan with its 20" barrel which duplicates 24" and 25" tubed 375 H&H ballistics, was and still is quite appealing.

And imo, lost rifles and ammo, is over blown. The African PHs have the situation covered should that occur with their back-up rifles and ammo.

But anytime new cartridges are intro`d that easily overlaps the `ol tried, true, and proven standbys etc, there are always going to be those detractors saying either,,,,"the new round won`t last",,,"there`s no need for it",,,"why for",,,"we have too many 375`s already",,,"what if you can`t find ammo?",,,"what if the rifle and ammo is lost in transit?",,,and on, and on, and on.

The 375 Ruger already has and will continue to blow its detractors (so called marketing geniuses) and their predictions completely out of the water. cry mad.... A few or maybe many diehard H&H fans imo, are just a foaming at the mouth waiting for the day when the 375 Ruger dramatically declines in popularity and/or goes bye-bye for good. whistle

You know who you are, and you`ll be waiting a very, very, very, very long time. sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep

Booowaa,,,hahahahahahahahahaha!............... laugh laugh laugh laugh

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
BigS-

..............The 375 Ruger already has and will continue to blow its detractors (so called marketing geniuses) and their predictions completely out of the water. cry mad.... A few or maybe many diehard H&H fans imo, are just a foaming at the mouth waiting for the day when the 375 Ruger dramatically declines in popularity and/or goes bye-bye for good. whistle

You know who you are, and you`ll be waiting a very, very, very, very long time. sleep sleep sleep sleep sleep
...........I can think of one!..........HI SWAMPY!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am not bashing either the .300 H&H or .375 H&H rounds as they are classics with a proven track record but when the .375 Ruger came out I predicted that it would eventually supplant the .375 H&H for the same reason that the .300 Win supplanted the .300 H&H. It does everything the H&H design does, is a more modern design and fits in a standard length action.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It does everything that the 375 H&H does except feed as well

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I can't make a direct comparison as I've never had an H&H. I will say that my Alaskan has yet to have any feeding issues.

George

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

A model 70 in 375 H&H will feed empty cases. The sloping body taper aids in feeding and extration both of which are big PLUES in a dangerous game rifle, something that Phil apparently has forgotten

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
given Phils opinions tend to be tempered in use while actually going after dangerous game i tend to give his opinions some weight....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rattler
given Phils opinions tend to be tempered in use while actually going after dangerous game i tend to give his opinions some weight....

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding. The jam could have had an unhappy ending if the bear had of pressed on,

But of coures you can follow that path if you wish

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

A model 70 in 375 H&H will feed empty cases. The sloping body taper aids in feeding and extration both of which are big PLUES in a dangerous game rifle, something that Phil apparently has forgotten

I have used the 375 H&H for over thirty years and am quite familiar with it's virtues. I have also done considerable shooting with the 375 Ruger and for my use - which is actually hunting big bears rather than speculating about it , and I don't see any reason to load empties, I'll take the Ruger.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win

I have used the 375 H&H for over thirty years and am quite familiar with it's virtues. I have also done considerable shooting with the 375 Ruger and for my use - which is actually hunting big bears rather than speculating about it , and I don't see any reason to load empties, I'll take the Ruger.

And the jams? Straight wall cases do not feed as well as tapered cases, no speculation just a fact

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding.

that is pure speculation and BS as I have been on a stalk with another of my guides who was using a M-70 375 H&H and when the bear charged the bulet jacket of his second round caught on the sharp edge of the damned coned breech and he bent the round so bad that after I had finally killed the bear with the third shot it was only 20 feet from him he was still trying to extract the bent round. the problem I mentioned about my daughter's rifle was simply due to the shape and construction of the Hornady DGX bullet. they cause problems in both of my 375 H&H's as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And the jams? Straight wall cases do not feed as well as tapered cases, no speculation just a fact

Is that is why 45acp pistols are much less reliable than 9mm's ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Now you want to compare a center feed hand gun round to a staggered feed bolt gun. You are a funny amn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought we were talking feeding issues and cartridge shapes and you said it was no speculation but "fact". Care to elaborate and explain to all of us why your favorite pistol is different?
Are you in the habit of loading empties in it as well?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a question about the Ruger Alaskan. Can you close the bolt on a round hand fed into the chamber giving you 3+1 capacity?

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can on the one's I have tried and for your information you can as well with even military M-98 actions if you pinch the middle of the extractor as you close the bolt.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
as soon as i can find an alaskan with the barrel band, i'm gonna get one and slap it in a paddle stock with either a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 leupold and be ready for anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Phoneman
as soon as i can find an alaskan with the barrel band, i'm gonna get one and slap it in a paddle stock with either a 1.5-5 or 2.5-8 leupold and be ready for anything.

that makes about as rugged, light, lithe and lethal a rifle as you can make - but you can see I used the Ruger sling swivel rather than the barrel band.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I thought we were talking feeding issues and cartridge shapes and you said it was no speculation but "fact". Care to elaborate and explain to all of us why your favorite pistol is different?

If we are talking about oranges, then apples are not in the subject even though they are both fruit

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

And rewmeber his daughter had a jam with a Ruger and the Hornady ammo, that would not have happen with a M-70 and its cone breach which also aids in feeding.

that is pure speculation and BS as I have been on a stalk with another of my guides who was using a M-70 375 H&H and when the bear charged the bulet jacket of his second round caught on the sharp edge of the damned coned breech and he bent the round so bad that after I had finally killed the bear with the third shot it was only 20 feet from him he was still trying to extract the bent round. the problem I mentioned about my daughter's rifle was simply due to the shape and construction of the Hornady DGX bullet. they cause problems in both of my 375 H&H's as well.

Idf that happend with the M-70 then it is "low feeding" and there is sopmething wrong with it. A M-70 that is in perfect order will not jame with any bullet one wants to use. You do know this do you not?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If we are talking about oranges, then apples are not in the subject even though they are both fruit

So if you were able to fit a 375 H&H in a pistol it would feed better than a 458Lott? Or the slick little silenced 45acp carbines being made in England on SMLE actions probably don't feed well? It was you who brought up "facts" that you don't seem to have any understanding of.
I have had more feeding problems with the 375 H&H than with my .458 Win. Care to share your experiences?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So if you were able to fit a 375 H&H in a pistol it would feed better than a 458Lott? Or the slick little silenced 45acp carbines being made in England on SMLE actions probably don't feed well? It was you who brought up "facts" that you don't seem to have any understanding of.
I have had more feeding problems with the 375 H&H than with my .458 Win. Care to share your experiences?

Humor is more your strong suite than facts I see

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
You can on the one's I have tried and for your information you can as well with even military M-98 actions if you pinch the middle of the extractor as you close the bolt.

Thanks for the info Phil, I wasn't aware of that. My experience with the "boat paddle" stocks is that they seemed to translate quite a bit of recoil to the shooter. Have you found that to be the case with the 375 as compared to the Hogue stock?

Also whats the deal with the barrel band? Do they have a useful advantage? Or just for looks?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only advantages i can think off is that it allows the rifle to sit lower on the shoulder if going through brush and your hand cant hit the swivel stud under recoil....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
With all this discussion about feeding issues regarding the 375 Ruger, I can state that I have never had one problem in the 3 years I`ve owned my Alaskan.

I always fully size my cases.

It is automatically assumed that if the casing is more tapered like the 375 H&H, it means that less feeding issues will occur.

Well yes,,,and no.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
[quote=rattler]only advantages i can think off is that it allows the rifle to sit lower on the shoulder if going through brush and your hand cant hit the swivel stud under recoil....[/

That makes sense.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Here's another question, is the black model just a stainless rifle with a black coating on it? What I'm getting at is if the black one is every bit as weather resistant as the stainless model?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger makes the black model and claims it is also stainless

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
I am not bashing either the .300 H&H or .375 H&H rounds as they are classics with a proven track record but when the .375 Ruger came out I predicted that it would eventually supplant the .375 H&H for the same reason that the .300 Win supplanted the .300 H&H. It does everything the H&H design does, is a more modern design and fits in a standard length action.

More moderen design? It is a 300 Newton case which dates back many many decades

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
jwp,

how interesting. do you have the 300 newton case specs on hand? i think it would interesting to compare the two side by each.

The way life should be.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll not get between the pissing match except to offer this: Straight walled cases like the 458Lott present more of a feeding problem that tapered/sloped shouldered cases in bolt action rifles. That is a fact,espoused by many and among them none other than D'Arcy Echols.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'ved owned two production 375Ruger rifles and both fed extremely slick and reliable straight out the box which I thought was a plus. Every 375H&H production rifle I've owned, to include Ruger RSM, CZ, and M70 required some tweaking out the box to feed as well to my satisfaction. I don't see anything inherently bad about the 375Ruger cartridge design, and if anything, I'm of the opinion that it inherently feeds very well. IMHO, either chambering can be made to feed well in a good rifle, and I don't see either having a big leg up on the other in that requirement.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That may be true - at least in theory - but have you ever used one of D'Arcy's 458 Lott's? They feed about as slick as a bolt rifle can. And the 375's are not straight cases as they are necked down and even less likely to hang up.
From what I have learned the main reason for the tapered H&H cases was to ease extraction in hot climates. Not to ease feeding.
The facts are that virtually all the Ruger 375 rifles feed very well with everything except the DGX bullets. which D'Arcy will tell you are hard to make feed in anything. He is not a fan of FN bullets in bolt rifles for this reason

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
458- are both those rifles in the picture 375 rugers? The top one appears to me to have a thinner barrel is why I asked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The top one is a 22 and the bottom one is a 416. but I have used the same stock with the 375 Ruger as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sure I have, hence my comment just repeating what he said regarding straight walled vs tapered/shoulder cases.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Phil,

Just took possession of a Ruger African in 375 R and for the money I'm pleased. The wood is plain as expected, the bolt a little rough in the raceways, some gaposis in wood-to-metal fit, but the upside is... a rifle proportioned to the cartridge, all of which is old news, but good just the same.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I'll not get between the pissing match except to offer this: Straight walled cases like the 458Lott present more of a feeding problem that tapered/sloped shouldered cases in bolt action rifles. That is a fact,espoused by many and among them none other than D'Arcy Echols.

It is indeed a fact that is lost on some

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The top one is a 22 and the bottom one is a 416. but I have used the same stock with the 375 Ruger as well.
Thanks! Guessing that pair could keep the larder full of all sizes of game.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bluefish
jwp,

how interesting. do you have the 300 newton case specs on hand? i think it would interesting to compare the two side by each.

CARTRIDGE: .30 Newton
OTHER NAMES:
DIA: ,30S
,30 Adolph Express
BALLISTEK NO: 30SZ
NAI NO: RXB
12333/4,799
DATA SOURCE: NAl/Ballistek HISTORICAL DATA: By C. Ne\Nton for F, Adolph in 1912, NOTES:
LOADING DATA:
BUUlET wr,/TYPE l80/Spire
POWDER wr,/TYPE 73,0/4831
IVELOCITY (,/SEC) ISOURCE 2890
Barnes
CASE PREPARATION: SHELLHOLDER (RCeS): 28 MAKE FROM: S x 6SS. F/L size the Sx6SS CBSe in the Nevvton die. Trim to length and chamfer. Fireform in the chamber.
PHYSICAL DATA (INCHES): CASE TYPE: Rimless Bottleneck CASE LENGTH A =2,515 HEAD DIAMETER B =.524 RIM DIAMETER D=.519 NECK DIAMETER F=.340 NECK LENGTH H= .310 SHOULDER LENGTH K=.185 BODY ANGLE (OEG'S/SIDE): .220
I DIMENSIONAL DRAWING: I F r-i --(3
CASE CAPACITY CC'S =5.78 LOADED LENGTH: 3.29 BELT DIAMETER C=N/A RIM THICKNESS E= .05
J E I
SHOULDER DIAMETER G=.51 LENGTH TO SHOULDER J =2.02 SHOULDER ANGLE IDEG'S/SIDE): 24.67 PRIMER: IJR
.BLU'�� �" ~, .: ,;~L-L ~ rOl
CASE CAPACITY (GR'S WATER): 89.20
-NOT ACTUAL SIZE-
DO NOT SCALECARTRIDGE:

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Ruger cartridge and the Newton are very similar but when I talked with Steve Hornady and asked him how he came up with the idea he said he simply asked his guys to design a standard length case with no belt and the .532 rim diameter of standard magnum.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

They did, off of the 30 Newton no harm in doing so. But to claim a more modern case for the 375 Ruger is just not factual.
A tapered case aids in feeding and extraction, to deny this basic fact is just wrong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no doubt it "aids" feeding and extraction but a well tuned bolt rifle can be made to work perfectly with straight sided rounds like the 458 Win and Lott so what is your point?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Ruger cartridge and the Newton are very similar but when I talked with Steve Hornady and asked him how he came up with the idea he said he simply asked his guys to design a standard length case with no belt and the .532 rim diameter of standard magnum.
.................The Ruger case is similiar to the Newton. But in the developing of the 375 Ruger, I don`t believe that it was Hornady`s original intention to design a case based on the Newton. Instead imo, it just happened to turn out that way and was co-incidental.

And now that I think about it and in looking over my 375 Ruger casings now right in front of me, what other 375 caliber non belted case design could anyone have possibly developed, which would have accomplished Hornady`s intended goal? Which was; a 30-06 lengthed cartridge with increased case capacity over the H&H, for the purpose of achieving the same ballistic performance from a shorter 20" barrel as the longer barreled 375 H&Hs.

Obviously to increase the powder capacity for the 375 Ruger and to keep it at a 30-06 length, the H&H taper had to go away straightening the case walls, and they had to increase the casing diameter.

Things being as they are and either through the Newton case or otherwise, I really don`t care how or what the influence was as to how Hornady came up with the 375 Ruger case design.

The bottom line, is that this round is a wonderful cartridge, shoots as accurately as any 375, and does so with as much ballistic horsepower as the longer barreled 375 H&H rifles......That is what matters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is no doubt it "aids" feeding and extraction but a well tuned bolt rifle can be made to work perfectly with straight sided rounds like the 458 Win and Lott so what is your point?

That sums it up pretty well and is hard to argue against; therefore, I declare a draw grin

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My point is with off the shelf factory rifles (which are not well tuned) a tapred case is an aid to good feeding and extraction. I thought that point was obvious and a given, but I guess not

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Talked to the people at Ruger today and contrary to what their website and catalog says the Alaskan black model is NOT stainless steel. Dangit I found a smokin deal on one too.......

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
.................The Ruger case is similiar to the Newton. But in the developing of the 375 Ruger, I don`t believe that it was Hornady`s original intention to design a case based on the Newton. Instead imo, it just happened to turn out that way and was co-incidental.

And now that I think about it and in looking over my 375 Ruger casings now right in front of me, what other 375 caliber non belted case design could anyone have possibly developed, which would have accomplished Hornady`s intended goal? Which was; a 30-06 lengthed cartridge with increased case capacity over the H&H, for the purpose of achieving the same ballistic performance from a shorter 20" barrel as the longer barreled 375 H&Hs.

Obviously to increase the powder capacity for the 375 Ruger and to keep it at a 30-06 length, the H&H taper had to go away straightening the case walls, and they had to increase the casing diameter.

Things being as they are and either through the Newton case or otherwise, I really don`t care how or what the influence was as to how Hornady came up with the 375 Ruger case design.

The bottom line, is that this round is a wonderful cartridge, shoots as accurately as any 375, and does so with as much ballistic horsepower as the longer barreled 375 H&H rifles......That is what matters.

Are you saying that Hornady re-invented the wheel? New and diferent cartidge are brought out and they all are bsed on an existing case. Sometimes that existing case is almost in oblivion

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The main purpose of tapered cases for both military and sporting rifles has always been to aid extraction - not feeding. When you are using spitzer bullets a lightly tapered case has virtually no bearing on how well they feed, but it does make a difference with dirty, corroded or hot loads. The original 300 and 375 H&H rounds were loaded with cordite, which was temperature sensitive and in the tropics could cause pressure spikes. A tapered case helped.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Are you saying that Hornady re-invented the wheel? New and diferent cartidge are brought out and they all are bsed on an existing case. Sometimes that existing case is almost in oblivion

.............No. I did not state that Hornady re-invented any wheel. Intentionally based on the Newton case or not imo, really doesn`t matter and is irrelevant. My belief is, is that Hornady didn`t have the Newton casing in mind during the creation of the 375 Ruger. They did what they needed to do in order to accomplish the goal they and Ruger wanted. It just happened to turn out that way as the 375 Ruger is a close comparison or similiar to the Newton.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
416 oops I do that? Dang

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
The main purpose of tapered cases for both military and sporting rifles has always been to aid extraction - not feeding. When you are using spitzer bullets a lightly tapered case has virtually no bearing on how well they feed, but it does make a difference with dirty, corroded or hot loads. The original 300 and 375 H&H rounds were loaded with cordite, which was temperature sensitive and in the tropics could cause pressure spikes. A tapered case helped.

To make the claim that a tpered case "does not aid in feeding" just shows how little you know about feeding. You need to give up as you are completely wrong on this.
The gunsmiths that I talk to apparently are all wrong they believe a tapered case aids in feeding.

I guess Ryan Breeding doesn't know what he is doing, at least according to you

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=375+h%26h+magnum&fr=slv8-yie8&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=375+h%26h+magnum&d=4671210912482276&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=a36cf378,509e76fe&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=25iOWgs5THzck0T0lHlG0w--

The .375 H&H Magnum case design was conceived to use cordite; a stick type propellant used widely in the United Kingdom. The tapering cartridge body design and the small shallow shoulder are typical aspects of cartridges optimized for the use of this propellant.[7] An advantage of such a case design is that it will feed and extract smoothly thus contributing to the cartridge's reliability in the field.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/375-hh-magnum?page=2

By Terry Wieland

With its pronounced taper, the .375 feeds smoothly;

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/375-hh-magnum?page=2#ixzz1J25ZYj7E

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You can't make up your mind, you posted this on page 4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hard for either of two life long experts to argue the other into a point of view contrary to his experience or what he's been taught-- and that's face-to-face, let alone thousands of miles apart sparing by key board.

Still, always something someone holding the coats can learn from. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly don't consider myself an expert and don't claim to know everything. I am simply one individual willing to share my experiences here in Alaska.
There are some very knowledgable folks who read and occasionally post here but most of the real experts seem to live on the internet in the lower 48. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The "MAIN" purpose of a tapered case is to aid extraction. That is a accurate statement. It was its "MAIN" purpose. Phils statement it "AIDS" feeding & extraction is also correct as the angle of release off the rails is slightly less (and preasure on the spring). Where's the problem? The point of release is the critical factor as in all cases the bullet is now inline with the chamber. Once the actual case hits the ramp only about 1/4 of the back part of the case is in contact with the rails till release. What's the difference in taper between the H&H and a 458 Win in the last 1/4 of the case? Think about it???? At this point the shape of the bullet again is important just as it was with its interface with the loading ramp. As you can see taper doesn't play much of a roll in loading, just extraction.

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Claiming that a tapered case doesn't play much of a factor in feeding is just FLAT OUT WRONG

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Claiming that a tapered case doesn't play much of a factor in feeding is just FLAT OUT WRONG

+1 -- To claim otherwise is absurd.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
that is certainly in writing from many sources; the tapered case aids in feeding, especially in a M70 with the cone.

The way life should be.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Wikipedia: "The .375 Ruger (9.5 x 65.5mm) was designed to be a shorter replacement for the .375 H&H. Being a fatter case, it actually has about 8% more volume giving it a velocity edge over the older cartridge. The shorter length allows it to be chambered in standard-length actions, reducing cost as well as firearm weight."
It is very nice caliber and work probably well in Africa where in most countries .375 is minimum allowed caliber for dangerous game.
But it will stay only American caliber if some other (or many) producer will not start to produce ammo for that caliber. I know what I'm talking because have 9,3x64 brenneke and there is only two producers (RWS and Brenneke) in world who produced ammo for that caliber...and in US I heard that A-Square...
If there will be only one ammo producer as today Hornady this caliber will stay for freaks as I am...LOL...not looking for super technical dates. Ammo's availability is main what make caliber well-known and popular. In this case 375 H&H have advantage.
Read history about 9,3x64 brenneke and will understand...it is short case ammo like 375 Ruger and was worked out 1927 for Africa. But never come well-known world wide as ammo production stay's in Brenneke hands and later RWS....But is well-known in Germany...
375 Ruger as caliber is super and I will wait when this cartridge will be available in Europa for "normal people".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Speaking of all the rifles worked over in the shop throughout the years, I've never seen a single rifle where the tapered case of the 375H&H was enough of an advantage to overcome the feeding and/or extraction issues. Some would require more work than others to correct, but once feeding and extraction was corrected, you'd see no marked advantage between a 375H&H compared to a 458Win as all would be reliable to the extreme. In addition, the tapered case of the 375H&H was no guarantee that the H&H would require a lesser amount of work to correct issues, as I've experienced quite a number of 375H&H rifles that required a good deal of work for proper feeding and extraction.

I WILL say however that when I overly load my rounds way too hot, there may be some situations where it is easier to extract a tapered case from the chamber compared to a straight case. But based on my experience, the latter semantic pissing match within this thread is moot when it comes to the 375Ruger. Boots on the ground from vetted rifles, the 375Ruger has proven outstanding in performance in most every measureable aspect when compared to the H&H.

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
GaryVa, stop confusing these guys with actual hands on experiences. You may cause irreversible damage to their already fragile egos and disrupt the internet "Professional" world! LMFAO

I am 100% against waterboarding. Splatter their brains out the back of their heads.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ummmm, 458Win qualifies as "professional world - boots on the ground" in my book. Phil tells me it's raining, I'm bringing a raincoat. wink

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tombo
GaryVa, stop confusing these guys with actual hands on experiences. You may cause irreversible damage to their already fragile egos and disrupt the internet "Professional" world! LMFAO

You made a very broad generalization there sir, but the worst of it is, your implication is wrong. smile

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/11/11.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Ummmm, 458Win qualifies as "professional world - boots on the ground" in my book. Phil tells me it's raining, I'm bringing a raincoat. wink

Absolutely.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gee..............and I thought I was agreeing with Phil??? OK one more time....taper in cartridges are for extraction primarily, the only time the taper is in play is when the case is coming off the rails which has little effect. Tuning and timing is what really counts along with the shape of the bullet. If I'm not mistaken that is what Phil and Gary both stated???

I was not referring to Phil (or Gary) as internet professionals as they are real world professionals who occasionally post. I was referring to jwp and others. I own a 375 H&H and a 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger wouldn't chamber a round to save its live when I bought it but after hours of work it never fails now. The case shape had nothing to do with its problems as I learned through hours of working on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

No harm, no foul, but, jwp I think has been around the block once or twice also; I think you'll find that if you do some research.

The point is some issues are not just black or white and personal experiences will vary.

It's not just you--folks tend to get very dogmatic on the Internet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tombo, my mother always taught me that if the shoe fit to wear it. It sounded like we were in agreement to me as well.
I have talked with jwp on the phone a few times and got the impression he was a long haul truck driver. If I am wrong jwp please do correct me and tell us all about your background and experiences.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Mr Shoemaker,
I would like to ask you a question pertaining to muzzle blast.
I now own a 24" barrel 375H&H Magnum.
If I were to compare it to a 20" barrel Ruger .375 wouldn't there be quite a difference in muzzle blast since the Ruger has a bigger powder charge and a shorter barrel?
I had a friend who owned a custom .300 Winchester magnum with a 19" barrel and it was pretty raunchy in the muzzle blast department.
Thanks,
whelennut

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I would be interested in feedback about the muzzle blast on the 20 inch barrel as well.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Gee..............and I thought I was agreeing with Phil??? OK one more time....taper in cartridges are for extraction primarily, the only time the taper is in play is when the case is coming off the rails which has little effect. Tuning and timing is what really counts along with the shape of the bullet. If I'm not mistaken that is what Phil and Gary both stated???

I was not referring to Phil (or Gary) as internet professionals as they are real world professionals who occasionally post. I was referring to jwp and others. I own a 375 H&H and a 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger wouldn't chamber a round to save its live when I bought it but after hours of work it never fails now. The case shape had nothing to do with its problems as I learned through hours of working on it.

One more time tapered cases also aid in feeding to say other wise is just flat wrong

Phil, no way in the world am I a "truck driver of any kind"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp, When we talked You seemed to travel a lot but I obviously was mistaken when I assumed you were a driver. What do you do for a living? And please do tell us about your hunting experiences.
From our talks you also obviously have quite a bit of experience with large bore handguns. Do you think tapered 9mm's feed better than the 45 acp as well? Or is that just in rifle cartridges?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
No Phil, I don't think 9mm is more reliable than a 45 ACP but we are not in the handgun forum and I do not know why the handgun rounds keep coming up. The SUBJECT is the 375 Ruger and feeding of BOLT action rifles let's stay on subject

I am not the only one that knows that the tapered case of the 375 H&H aids in feeding

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/375-hh-magnum?page=2

By Terry Wieland

With its pronounced taper, the .375 feeds smoothly; case sticking is never a problem

Yea I have taken a bit of game with a handgun but again this is not the forum for that subject

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was referring to jwp and others.

Well, you'd be wrong about that assessment. Seriously, to say that the tapered case primarily aids in extraction is absurd, and ignoring the obvious.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
jwp, When we talked You seemed to travel a lot but I obviously was mistaken when I assumed you were a driver. What do you do for a living? And please do tell us about your hunting experiences.
From our talks you also obviously have quite a bit of experience with large bore handguns. Do you think tapered 9mm's feed better than the 45 acp as well? Or is that just in rifle cartridges?

Hey Phil, is this a shot at truck driving as a profession? He is no truck driver, but it sure reads like you are patronizing jwp. You don't have to guide hunters to have a significant amount of hunting experience and quite frankly, a lot of guides I have met, including African PHs, don't necessarily know a heck of a lot about guns. Being a guide doesn't necessarily elevate ones status with regards to knowledge about firearms -- of course there are exceptions to every rule.

How about bringing this discussion back on topic.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Whitworth1,
Have you ever read Rifle magazine? Did you notice Mr. Shoemakers article in there. I think it is obvious he is above average to say the least.
As far as average guides, my wife and I hunted caribou and got stuck with some guy who worked on a fishing boat until he could buy a .338 Magnum and then Voila he became a PH.
I am glad it was only for five days. On the same trip I met one of his co-workers and he was night and day different.
Personality and attitude can make up for a lot of shortcomings in other areas IMO. It seems like on the campfire there are more Chiefs than Indians.
I wish Phil would write a book on bear hunting in Alaska.
It would sure help to pass the time here in the long cold winters we have in Minnesota. We don't have any warm wind coming off the ocean. grin
whelennut

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I come from a technical background and have worked on high speed processing equipment. To say something is obvious or absurd without backing it with experience and technical information means absolutely nothing to me. Your rebuttal to our claim and experiences is "your wrong", "its obvious", and "it's absurd". When I get a detailed analysis of your claim you will then get some validity in your opinion.

High speed mechanical processes are based on repeatable movement due to structure just like your rifle. See how fast and problem free the ammunition companies load those "straight walled cases" an you will understand your thinking is flawed. What really is in play here is surface tension and deflection angles. Books have been written on this subject......you might want to read one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look,

I will put this all to rest.

In a few months I will buy a .375 Ruger.

It will be discontinued next year...

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I come from a technical background and have worked on high speed processing equipment. To say something is obvious or absurd without backing it with experience and technical information means absolutely nothing to me. Your rebuttal to our claim and experiences is "your wrong", "its obvious", and "it's absurd". When I get a detailed analysis of your claim you will then get some validity in your opinion.

High speed mechanical processes are based on repeatable movement due to structure just like your rifle. See how fast and problem free the ammunition companies load those "straight walled cases" an you will understand your thinking is flawed. What really is in play here is surface tension and deflection angles. Books have been written on this subject......you might want to read one?

Well, with all of your technical expertise, I would think that your approach wouldn't include making assumptions about someone you don't know by claiming -- and I paraphrase you -- that jwp is essentially an internet warrior. Again, you would be wrong. Oh, and I don't owe you a detailed analysis. How about providing me with one?

Now, on to the issue of the tapered case. I made no statement of straight-walled cases and merely spoke of the fact that the H&H (.375 that is) has a tapered case, which aids in feeding as well as extraction. In no way do I dispute that extraction is a parameter that was designed into the case, but feeding was also part of the plan. This is not some new revelation, nor a controversial issue. That you would dismiss this fact does indeed warrant terms like: absurd, and obvious, to name but a few. It certainly aids in extraction, but it also aidss in feeding. There has been plenty written about this very subject. Just about any history of the .375 H&H mentions this.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Everybody thought the world was flat at one time too. lol Many wrote on it and called those that don't believe it idiots. So who looks dumb now?

At what point do you think the taper makes a difference?

As to your understanding of how things work.....explain (FN), (fs) and (fk) for if you can't it is "OBVIOUS" you have a limited understanding and it's "ABSURD" to discuss it any further.

As I said it is the shape of the bullet, the timing and the tuning. If you wish we can dissect the entire feeding operation and you will see the 375 H&H case is no more superior than the 375 Ruger in properly operating actions.

I'm no longer interested in your "OPINION" or anybody elses! Describe in detail why it feeds better and answer the above questions.

Last edited by Tombo; 04/12/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If a taper doesn't aid in insertion, why does a nail have a tapered end? Or why does a knife have a tapered edge? Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Now what's that word again? Obvious? LOL!

No reason to get huffy!

You mean the world's not flat? confused

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Everybody thought the world was flat at one time too. lol Many wrote on it and called those that don't believe it idiots. So who looks dumb now?

At what point do you think the taper makes a difference?

As to your understanding of how things work.....explain (FN), (fs) and (fk) for if you can't it is "OBVIOUS" you have a limited understanding and it's "ABSURD" to discuss it any further.

As I said it is the shape of the bullet, the timing and the tuning. If you wish we can dissect the entire feeding operation and you will see the 375 H&H case is no more superior than the 375 Ruger in properly operating actions.

I'm no longer interested in your "OPINION" or anybody elses! Describe in detail why it feeds better and answer the above questions.

Last edited by Tombo; 04/12/11.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If a taper doesn't aid in insertion, why does a nail have a tapered end? Or why does a knife have a tapered edge? Even Stevie Wonder could see that.

Now what's that word again? Obvious? LOL!

No reason to get huffy!

You mean the world's not flat?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, this is fun, can we do it again? grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Maybe later, I have to go to the dentist.......now I'm "Huffy"!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take good care of your teeth!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Here is your answer
The 416 Ruger wouldn't chamber a round to save its live when I bought it but after hours of work it never fails now.

The case shape has everything to do with it, because the mag geometry is wrong for the case. If the mag is worked on for hours then yea it will feed.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The is no doubt that a tapered case potentially feeds better than a straight wall case, however, if the straight wall case has a tapered bullet, all it has to do is get started and this stupid tit-for-tat is meaningless.

Once the bullet is out of the equation (after you pull the trigger) the tapered case is going to be easier to extract in the event something went wrong, ie. water drop in the barrel, spider web or something else increasing pressure, too hot loads developed on a cold day and fired in a hot chamber, grit pressed into the case wall...

It seems that if the magazine and feed geometry is designed for the case in point, it will feed just fine. I know that my pre-64 300 H&H feeds like a dream, you know what, my 30-06 feeds really good too! It would seem that within reason, this is a moot argument and the 375 Ruger is obviously within reason.

I guess we will have to lathe-turn the sharp edges off the Hornady bullet from now on...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp you still have not answered my question of what you do and how you came about your knowledge. You might also answer why pistol rounds feed differently than rifle rounds.

And Tombo, why do you think jwp claims that FN bullets penetrate better than round or spizer bullets but more taper helps penetration.
You two need to talk before you start defending each other's point of view.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

And Tombo, why do you think jwp claims that FN bullets penetrate better than round or spizer bullets but more taper helps penetration.
You two need to talk before you get into discussions that you obviously know little about.

Phil......????????? I'm talking about physics not bullets?????

(FN) is normal force, which is equal and opposite to weight. (on level)
(fs) is static friction which cancels applied force up to the point of the force of static friction.
(fk) is the applied force over (fs max) causing movement. (kenetic)
Uk=fk/FN is the coefficient for kinetic friction.
Us= fs max/FN is the coefficient for static friction.

You could right volumes on the physics of the loading of a cartridge in a bolt action rifle. In a nut shell, as dennis touched on, friction is caused by weight/preassure and angles. The bullet encounters most of the angles causing most of the friction not the case. Friction is what causes rifles not to load or impedes them in loading.

Take your rifles and hold them at a 45 degree angle, hold a round with the bullet just resting inside the chamber and let it go. You will see exactly what the difference is case shape makes entering the chamber..............not much.

Metal to metal interaction with no deforming of either contact media is a completely different conversation than bullet interaction with a soft median in which one or both are deformed.

You two can break out the physics book and hash it out together!

P+1/2pv squared +pgh comes into play with shooting an animal but what does it have to do with anything?.......I guess I know to little........lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Tombo, how did your appointment go at the dentist? grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Well the little lady gave me the wrong date, showed up and she said it's tomorrow? She is lucky she is cute! lol I'll be in the chair in about an 1/2 hour. Then the real fun begins........

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You two need to talk before you start defending each other's point of view.

You realy don't help your arguement with post like the one above. Are you joking? Flat nose bullet stay point on better during terminal penetration. You mean that you haven't followed the thread on AR in the Big Bore Forum titled
"Terminal Bullet Performance"? Conclusive prove that flat point bullets penetrated better.

A cartridge's ability to feed and the best shape for a solid is comparing grapes to apples, surely you didn't mean to do that, did you?

There is a very simple reason why the tapered cartridges feed best out of factory rifles, I am sure that you know the reason, do you not?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by temmi
Look,

I will put this all to rest.

In a few months I will buy a .375 Ruger.

It will be discontinued next year...

Ha Ha!!! laugh We have similar luck!!!!

Great sense of humor temmi!!! Way to lighten it up a bit!!!

Last edited by Stump Buster; 04/14/11.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
JWP, What is P+1/2pv squared + pgh? Whats is Re=vLp/n? Without a understanding of those equations (or even knowing what they are) you can't even engage in a logical debate.

Post answers to those two questions, and their relevance to the discussion.

Without it I might as well be talking to the wall! lol

So why do flat nosed bullets "stay on point better", Please express it mathematically to me.

Last edited by Tombo; 04/14/11.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Whitworth 1 I survived the dentist, once past the needle part I'm good! The gal giving the shot was a real pro!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp,
Your are quick with short quips but can you answer simple questions like
What do you do for a living ?
and
How do you know what you are telling everyone is true?

I am not ashamed to post who I am and how I come about my views and opinions.
It would be nice if everyone on here would do the same.
I don't answer anonimous letters or take legal or medical advice from anonimous folks so why should I argue with some anonimous "expert"

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

..the main reason I post with me real name and an "open" profile. I don't state anything I know not to be true or I don't want attributed to me all of which are easier if one stays anonymous. smile

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Phil why can't you stick to the subject?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
jwp,

How do you know what you are telling everyone is true?

It is on the subject. What methodology did you use in proving your hypothesis?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Phil why can't you stick to the subject?

Great idea. THE 375 RUGER OFFERS SOME MINOR - BUT REAL - IMPROVEMENTS OVER THE 375 H&H

Now, Why can't you answer simple questions ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The only advantage if one can call it an advantage is a shorter action and that don't interest a lot of the shooting public, me included

Phil, we all have a profile on these boards if it ain't on the profile then it is not meant for public comsuption and has no bearing on the subject matter of this are any other thread that's pretty simple

Last edited by jwp475; 04/19/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
jwp, Anonymity, like the masks worn be terrorists, give courage to cowards - but certainly does not add to any intelligent discussion. If experience and knowledge have no bearing on the subject matter on this forum then I guess I am on the wrong forum. But I guess I am at least arguing with the right folks.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
jwp, If experience and knowledge have no bearing on the subject matter............

........then I'm going to have the clerk at the mini-mart take me Brown Bear hunting! (after he crowns one of my teeth.) lol

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
jwp, Anonymity, like the masks worn be terrorists, give courage to cowards That's your opinion and like [bleep] everybody hgas one. I have spoken to you before and you know who I am so get off of the sopa box it is not becoming- If you want to tell me about guiding bear hunters I am all ears

but certainly does not add to any intelligent discussion.
I have posted my experience and I have posted pictures to back up same. Yo are graspingf at straws. I spent 45 minutes speaking to Brian at Echolls shop about feed issuse just a few days ago.

If experience and knowledge have no bearing on the subject matter on this forum then I guess I am on the wrong forum. But I guess I am at least arguing with the right folks.

Your experience with correcting feeding issues is?

Last edited by jwp475; 04/19/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=jwp475][quote=458Win] jwp, Anonymity, like the masks worn be terrorists, give courage to cowards
[color:#CC0000]I have posted my experience and I have posted pictures to back up same. Yo are graspingf at straws. I spent 45 minutes speaking to Brian at Echolls shop about feed issuse just a few days ago. [/color]

jwp, I propose a truce. You tell us all again about your experience since you claim to not be embarrased by it and also tell us what Brian told you about how much the taper on the H&H rounds helps feeding and we will all agree with his assessment as he has more experience on the matter than you and I put together.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This thread really reminds me of those who argued about which was faster, the Z28 Camaro or the Boss 302 Mustang. What really mattered was who breathed on the engine and who set up the chassie.

Who your mechanic is REALLY matters !!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
In the Sako Model 85 - a person can buy it in 375 H&H. It holds four rounds in the magazine and one in the chamber - for a total of five.

All this in a rifle that's 7lbs - naked.

Until someone else makes a 375 that holds five rounds in a 7lb rifle - in my opinion, Sako will take top spot.

As I hunt without a guide - I much prefer the extra round in a DGR rifle - to the extra 50 to 100 fps that the Ruger round might give in comparison to the 375 H&H. That, and the pleasure of having a 375 H&H that weighs less than a lot of people's 30-06's. After a day or more of packing it in the high-country - I can't tell you how much I appreciate the lack of dead-weight.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brian, I've seen a number of the 375 Sako M-85's in use here in Alaska and have been quite impressed with their design and function.Other than the Ruger they are the other 375 that I recommend to my clients.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
[quote=jwp475][quote=458Win] jwp, Anonymity, like the masks worn be terrorists, give courage to cowards
[color:#CC0000]I have posted my experience and I have posted pictures to back up same. Yo are graspingf at straws. I spent 45 minutes speaking to Brian at Echolls shop about feed issuse just a few days ago. [/color]

jwp, I propose a truce. You tell us all again about your experience since you claim to not be embarrased by it and also tell us what Brian told you about how much the taper on the H&H rounds helps feeding and we will all agree with his assessment as he has more experience on the matter than you and I put together.

Brain said and is correct IMHO that the H&H cases in factroy rifles feed beeter than say a a straighter wall case such as the 300 Wea. is because the wwidth of the mag box is correct for the H&H case. The factory rifles use the same width mag box for every round. The Echoll's company adjusts the width and size of the mag box according to the cartridge and this often require the bottom of the action needing to be machined in-order to accept the proper proportion mag box. Proper feeding work is time comsuming and expensive.

The proper execution of the work is paromaount in having a trouble free rig

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
duane wiebe has now come out with his own version for the H&H providing a 4+1 setup without going below the stock line allowing for a trim rifle.

The way life should be.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

[/quote]

Brain said and is correct IMHO that the H&H cases in factroy rifles feed beeter than say a a straighter wall case such as the 300 Wea. is because the wwidth of the mag box is correct for the H&H case. The factory rifles use the same width mag box for every round.
[/quote]

So, with the properly fitted mag box their is no mechanical advantage to the tapered case? I guess your right, round pegs fit better than square pegs in round holes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To all my fictitious nameless friends -- so in Brian's words tapered cases might feed better than less taperd cases if they are fed from magazines designed for them. But so long as the magazines are correctly designed for the cases being used there is no benefit to tapered cases ?
As I stated in the beginning, while a tapered case might be of some help the primary purpose of tapered cases is and was to aid in extraction.
That is why so many of the Russian cases are tapered - as they like to use steel cases which have to have considerable taper to work correctly.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As they would say on "Myth Busters" The "tapered case feeding myth" is "BUSTED"!!! lol

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I just had my Rem XCR II in 375 H&H rechambered to 375 Weatherby. The best of both worlds, faster than a 375 Ruger, can still shoot 375 H&H.

Last edited by colorado; 04/21/11.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by colorado
I just had my Rem XCR II in 375 H&H rechambered to 375 Weatherby. The best of both worlds, faster than a 375 Ruger, can still shoot 375 H&H.
...........From Hodgdon

375 Ruger 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2837 max fps
300 gr @ 2660 max fps

375 Wby 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2842 max fps
300 gr @ 2695 max fps

Yep! Looks like you`re gaining a bunch in the best of both worlds scenario.... laugh laugh laugh

Given the same barrel lengths, the 375 Ruger is much closer in performance to the 375 Wby, than is the 375 H&H to the 375 Ruger!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
375 Weatherby factory ammo. 300g Nosler Partitions at 2800 fps chrono'd. Don't let facts affect your opinion. It might be dangerous.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If the "advantage" of a 375 Wby over a H&H makes you giddy you are an easy man to please. I know; I've had a 375 Mashburn (same cap as a Wby) and the H&H and when loaded to the same pressures, other than the recoil, I doubt you will notice that "advantage" in the field. Now I have the .375 Ruger which splits that small difference even more but that's not why I have it. I'm long out of the race for the last 150 fps I can get.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Understand. The 375 Weatherby is rated at higher pressures and that does give it a 250 fps edge with 300g bullets. The edge with 350g bullets is about 200 fps. I can also shoot 375 H&H in a pinch. As far as velocity loss per inch of barrel, the standard has always been 25 fps per inch of barrel loss between 2500 and 3000 fps. That can sometimes be overcome with slightly faster powders and hotter primers.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
As they would say on "Myth Busters" The "tapered case feeding myth" is "BUSTED"!!! lol

Not in factory rifle magazines which is what this thread is about

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
375 Weatherby factory ammo. 300g Nosler Partitions at 2800 fps chrono'd. Don't let facts affect your opinion. It might be dangerous.
..............Well! Those #s I posted were from Hodgdon.

Well how about these factoid #s then, which support my opinion even better than what Hodgdon did!!

Go here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

From those 20 or so loads, notice the chrony results from the two 300 grainers.

Me dangerous? Naaaaa

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not in factory rifle magazines which is what this thread is about

I thought this was all about comparing factory 375 Ruger rifles with properly dimensioned boxes with other 375 H&H rifles - many with one size fits all boxes.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If the Ruger is "such of a properly fitted box" then why doesn't it feed any ammo that is loaded into the gun?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Understand. The 375 Weatherby is rated at higher pressures and that does give it a 250 fps edge with 300g bullets. The edge with 350g bullets is about 200 fps. I can also shoot 375 H&H in a pinch. As far as velocity loss per inch of barrel, the standard has always been 25 fps per inch of barrel loss between 2500 and 3000 fps. That can sometimes be overcome with slightly faster powders and hotter primers.

Are you sure about the higher pressure rating of the Weatherby?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
jwp - Never touched the box on my 416 Ruger, just polished the ramp and other friction surfaces, then shaped & adjusted the feeding rails. It feeds any factory spec ammo now, so it must be the right sized magazine box......right? I can also tell you that Ruger changes the dimensions on the magazine box used for different shaped rounds, so it's not a one shape fits all approach. On my Ruger 30-06, it's the same box (as the 416) but has been modified with a narrowing taper at the front. (Bent inward.)

So, the magazine box on the Ruger (which is the same for the 375 & 416) is correctly sized for the 375 Ruger case and the 375 H&H tapered case has no advantage over straight walled cases in properly fitted magazine boxes and that makes you WRONG in your assumption. lol

What is really interesting is a discussion I had with a ex - girlfriend who is a psychologist on this topic. Being able to admit you were wrong is the sign of a secure well adjusted person. I've been wrong before, many a time.......LOL.........but when a REAL expert backs what is said................time to fold your cards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There isn't a hunt that's harder than for most guys admitting they may be or are wrong about something.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Are you sure about the higher pressure rating of the Weatherby?

I looked it up Jorge, you are right, they aren't different both the 375 H&H and 375 Weatherby are spec'd to 62,000. I should've have checked. Weatherby states the 375 Weatherby gets 2800 fps out of a 26" barrel with 300g Nosler Partitions. RIP on the AR forum has several 375 Weatherby's and gets 2740 fps out of a 24" barrel which corresponds pretty closely to losing 25 fps per inch of barrel.

They're all good rounds, I just chose the 375 Weatherby.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
...........From Hodgdon

375 Ruger 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2837 max fps
300 gr @ 2660 max fps

375 Wby 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2842 max fps
300 gr @ 2695 max fps

Yep! Looks like you`re gaining a bunch in the best of both worlds scenario.... laugh laugh laugh

Given the same barrel lengths, the 375 Ruger is much closer in performance to the 375 Wby, than is the 375 H&H to the 375 Ruger!

I doubt this is true across the board....the Ruger has only 5 gr more capacity than the H&H.....this is not earth shattering...it was designed to equal or slightly exceed the H&H in velocity from a shorter cartridge...this it does.

But not by enough to matter.

After working with a 375 AI(just another form of Improved 375 like the Weatherby),and clocking a Ruger,I still don't see enough difference between the 3 to even bother with.

The Ruger gave a bit over 2800 with 270's.

The 375AI gave a bit over 2900 with 275's (22" tube)

The H&H gives 2750 with 270's;and over 2900 with 250's.

Looking at the load data for the 3 cartidges makes the lines in the sand even fuzzier....and so did shooting all three,which is why I never built an AI or Weatherby,and ditched the Ruger.

Of course the Ruger and the Weatherby are faster;they hold more powder....but we are talking a spread of only 100-150 fps, at most, between the 3....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thing is, the Ruger is in a well thought out AFFORDABLE rifle. I think that was the prime purpose of the 375 Ruger. A Hawkeye African and good VX II Leupold cost about what a bald Mdl 70 Safari Express costs, and to many of us it makes a Big difference. It gives the average guy a few more bucks in the budget when planning a safari or bear hunt.

I remember having to pass on a world class Coke's hartebeest, a rare trophy, because I just didn't have another $325.00 to spend.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good point!

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Thing is, the Ruger is in a well thought out AFFORDABLE rifle. I think that was the prime purpose of the 375 Ruger. A Hawkeye African and good VX II Leupold cost about what a bald Mdl 70 Safari Express costs, and to many of us it makes a Big difference.

Lu2: No question....my comments had entirely to do with the minor differences between them from a velocity perspective....not the affordability,nor the appeal of the package.

I think a Ruger African is as nice a 375 bore rifle as a guy could get for the money...and I MIGHT have been the first in my neighborhood to own one.....just discovered that it had nothing over what I owned and had been using for years....I could only use one at a time.... frown

Which of course has nothing to do with its' relative merits. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep... wink

The 375s all kill about the same, with the 9.3s close behind.

Individual rifles will cause a lot of overlap, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Luv2 and Bob, I think the 375s, excepting wby's 378, just bring a wonderful compromise in bore size, bullet weight, and velocity at a relatively low cost in recoil and therefore demand in rifle weight, all of which is about as new as a lump of coal, but it does bear repeating. All the iterations with the exception mentioned above come close enough in the rifle of your choice to really do it all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
George : Agreed.....I do like 375 bore....it has been tough to beat for a lot of years and better today,with the new bullets and powders, and all. wink

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
...........From Hodgdon

375 Ruger 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2837 max fps
300 gr @ 2660 max fps

375 Wby 24" barrel;

260 gr @ 2842 max fps
300 gr @ 2695 max fps

I doubt this is true across the board....the Ruger has only 5 gr more capacity than the H&H.....this is not earth shattering...it was designed to equal or slightly exceed the H&H in velocity from a shorter cartridge...this it does.

But not by enough to matter.

After working with a 375 AI(just another form of Improved 375 like the Weatherby),and clocking a Ruger,I still don't see enough difference between the 3 to even bother with.

The Ruger gave a bit over 2800 with 270's.

The 375AI gave a bit over 2900 with 275's (22" tube)

The H&H gives 2750 with 270's;and over 2900 with 250's.

Looking at the load data for the 3 cartidges makes the lines in the sand even fuzzier....and so did shooting all three,which is why I never built an AI or Weatherby,and ditched the Ruger.

Of course the Ruger and the Weatherby are faster;they hold more powder....but we are talking a spread of only 100-150 fps, at most, between the 3....

............After my post above and later on this thread, I did post this link.

http://gunblast.com/Ruger-Hawkeye375.htm

The Hodgdon loads for the 375 Ruger and probably the 375 Wby too are a little conservative. I can exceed the Hodgdon loads in my Alaskan and do so with no pressure signs.

Regardless, the 375 Ruger is much closer to the 375 Bee, than the 375 H&H is to the 375 Ruger. That said, the extra performance these two have over H&H will make no difference on big game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well If I was in the Market for a 375, I would go with the Ruger Safari and put a 1.5 to 5 x Leupold on it and call it a day. Its a very very good rifle for the money. And this is from a guy who shoots a Blaser R-93. On top of that In the Ruger Safari, you can get it in 9.3 x 62 or A 338 Winchester. Its all such a moot point as to the simple fact is how much big game are you ever going to shoot in your life time were the game in question needs a 375 to bag! Let face it, Most of the 375's that are bought in the US, end up as safe queens. And a good many 338 follow that bit of observation as well. With rare exceptions, most will only hunt brown bear one or not at all in a life time. Same for DG in Africa. For most and for 99% of the big game you would ever hunt a .30-06 is going to do the job, and you could make the case for about two dozen similar cartridges. In the end shoot what you want to shoot. I think the 375 Ruger will do well over time, after all it took almost fifty years for the 338 Winchester to become as popular as it is today. The real question for us to ponder is not this taste great less filling but what will hunting be like if at all in 50 years from now!

Last edited by gmsemel; 04/24/11.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Some very good points by a man who obviously is open-minded (shoots a R93-- I did too but converted to a K95) and very wise (I just bought a Ruger African in 375 and sent it off to Roger Ferrel for some tuning). grin

About hunting in 50 years-- it'll take many present trends to reverse themselves for folks at that time to even [/i] realize[i] it's gone.

About the 338 and the 375, it's been my experience shooting both for years that the 375 is no more unpleasant than than the former in full house loads. But of course YMMV. For guys like us on the 'Fire, it'll never be Just about [/b]need[b] but rather about, "I need to try that!" smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gmsemel speaks much truth and common sense.... smile We don't really need 375's that badly;and most don't get used much.

Little need here for anything of 338 and above.....but if a guy aspires to travel, and hunt,it is not a bad idea to have something in this category hanging around,as I learned early on when I needed a 375 and did not have one. frown blush

Because when you do need a 375,you need it pretty badly... eek

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/24/11.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if I am open minded or not, I tend to not over think stuff any more, I just want to hunt. I order to do that I need to have a few things, Time Money a place to hunt and a rifle I can hit a grapefruit with. Life it way to short, and these days there is never enough money. Need and want are two different things. There is nothing wrong with wanting a 375, I had three before I paired down my collection.

Anton Chekhov

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
gmsemel you must have or have access to private land seeing there is no rifle hunting in CT on state land outside of the .22rimfire for small game. I keep one or two rifles on hand here in CT just to shoot at the range. All my hunting deer and turkey here in CT is bow.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 04/24/11.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do indeed have acess to about 80 acres. One one side is nature conservancy land , another side town consivation land , then mine, I own it. It's a great spot.

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It's a good feeling to know that if there is an escaped circus tiger in your neighborhood.................

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have a friend that was hunting in Texas about 30 years ago and he killed an Afican lion that had escaped. He was shooting a 25-06 and I do not remember the bullet that was used.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"We don't really need 375's that badly;and most don't get used much."

Agree - but it sure is fun to own one, shoot one, load for one and occasionally hunt with a .375, just for the heck of it! I sure can't justify my .375 Number One in any practical way, but I like it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yep! For N/America, I don`t "need" my 375 Ruger. Really don`t "need" a 338-378 Accumark either.

Good `ol 30-06 or my 300 WSM with the right bullet, will take of everything on the N/A continent.

B O R I N G,,,,,,B O R I N G,,,,,,B O R I N G,,,,,,and,,,,,,B O R I N G.............YAWN!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gmsemel
I do indeed have acess to about 80 acres. One one side is nature conservancy land , another side town consivation land , then mine, I own it. It's a great spot.

Lucky you! East Haddam is a nice area with some good deer.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I have a friend that was hunting in Texas about 30 years ago and he killed an Afican lion that had escaped. He was shooting a 25-06 and I do not remember the bullet that was used.

We had some buffalo get loose from a meat packing plant here in Colorado Springs, the police unloaded on them with 223 semi autos, mainly pissed them off. A 30-06 would certainly have been a better choice.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20050519/ai_n14642550/

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

N
N
Yep! For N/America, I don`t "need" my 375 Ruger. Really don`t "need" a 338-378 Accumark either.

Good `ol 30-06 or my 300 WSM with the right bullet, will take of everything on the N/A continent.

B O R I N G,,,,,,B O R I N G,,,,,,B O R I N G,,,,,,and,,,,,,B O R I N G.............YAWN!

While I agree with Squeeze (usually do) taking this a bit further, I have a personal philosophy that I wish more folks would consider, so while off the original topic I'll share it here: Let�s take the concept of humane harvests head on, if humane is TRULY your goal [prime directive?]: Bring as much gun as you can shoot good; (well) And kill it as dead as you can get it. (with a premium hunting bullet) Oh, and ferchrissakes � practice, lean how to shoot well & consistently and take only shots that you are CERTAIN that you can make. The hunting fields are no place to just 'try it.' There should be no doubt in your mind about your result when you pull the trigger.

Too much gun ruins too much meat? So what? Our primary responsibility is to the animals, no? besides it still all comes down to shot placement � I clean shot through the boiler room, broadside, won�t ruin any good meat � even if you are shooting a howitzer! (who eats venison ribs?)

African PG hunters have a great deal of experience putting big holes in (through) deer-like game animals. I bet they see more DRT�s from good shots than us NA deer hunters.

Besides, it's good practice to carry your DG gun afield often so you can get/stay intimately familiar with it. For me, this is a 375 Ruger (so I guess not completely off topic) and hopefully soon, a light/stubby Ruger Frontier with as powerful a chambering as I can find it in (.300/.325 WSM -ish) for the really rough-going stuff.

-Joe

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

298 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 34 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,239
Posts18,485,860
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.