Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
How's the MR's fuel economy? Compared to a regulated stove like the Soto?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I haven't compared the two, but in general it's more about the user than the stove when it comes to fuel economy.

HJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slightly different topic;
I have and love my MSR Pocket Rocket but I'm considering a MSR whisperlite. The reason is, I question the availability of fuel for the pocket rocket. I'm considering an Idaho hunt this Fall and traveling with the fuel canisters isn't an option nor is shipping a few ahead of me for pickup. I have found the Coleman Peak canisters at WalMart on occasion which will work with the PR but the MSR canisters are somewhat limited to more specialized stores. It would be a problem to arrive at a strange area and not be able to locate fuel canisters before heading out.

However, Coleman Fuel is available almost anywhere.
Am I being overly cautious? How does the Whisperlite compare to the Pocket Rocket as far as fuel efficiency vs. weight? I also believe the fuel would be easier to backpack for the Whisperlite vs. the bulky canisters for the PR.

Any thoughts?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Good question... I suppose it depends where you're traveling to in ID.

As you say, Walmart sells the Peak1 butane/propane mix canisters, but there's not a Walmart everywhere.

You also make a good point not everywhere sells MSR or Snowpeak canisters. Our local Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse does) as well as all the climbing/backpackatorium's like REI sell them too.

White Gas will work better when the temps dip I can tell you that, and the old MSR Whisperlite is a reliable design. Wind will play havoc with most canister stoves too, increasing boil times and decreasing efficiency (fuel consumption). It does get pretty windy in the West, and the MSR WG stoves will be more efficient in cold and wind.

I prefer the Simmerlite as it's lighter... to me the reason to get the Whisperlite is the "International" version that will burn unleaded auto fuel, etc.

In your shoes I think I'd go WG. A little less convenient, but...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Good question... I suppose it depends where you're traveling to in ID.

As you say, Walmart sells the Peak1 butane/propane mix canisters, but there's not a Walmart everywhere.

You also make a good point not everywhere sells MSR or Snowpeak canisters. Our local Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsman's Warehouse does) as well as all the climbing/backpackatorium's like REI sell them too.

White Gas will work better when the temps dip I can tell you that, and the old MSR Whisperlite is a reliable design. Wind will play havoc with most canister stoves too, increasing boil times and decreasing efficiency (fuel consumption). It does get pretty windy in the West, and the MSR WG stoves will be more efficient in cold and wind.

I prefer the Simmerlite as it's lighter... to me the reason to get the Whisperlite is the "International" version that will burn unleaded auto fuel, etc.

In your shoes I think I'd go WG. A little less convenient, but...

I agree, Brad, but keep it quiet about not everywhere having a Walmart, or they will move on in. On second thought, where is this place without a Walmart, I wanna visit. It's the main reason I go on these sheep/goat hunts, to get far, far from a Walmart, for just a little while. I wouldn't be surprised to see Prince of Wales Island on their planning map, though.
Don grin

Last edited by docdb; 01/15/12.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by docdb
I wouldn't be surprised to see Prince of Wales Island on their planning map, though.
Don grin

I think POW is safe.. Even our local coffee/book shop is closing up and heading south in a few months due to lack of tourism to the area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ohh my!
That looks nice. Small enough to carry in my Camelbak. Amazing what they do nowadays.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by snubbie
I have and love my MSR Pocket Rocket but I'm considering a MSR whisperlite. The reason is, I question the availability of fuel for the pocket rocket. I'm considering an Idaho hunt this Fall and traveling with the fuel canisters isn't an option nor is shipping a few ahead of me for pickup. I have found the Coleman Peak canisters at WalMart on occasion which will work with the PR but the MSR canisters are somewhat limited to more specialized stores. It would be a problem to arrive at a strange area and not be able to locate fuel canisters before heading out.

However, Coleman Fuel is available almost anywhere.
Am I being overly cautious? How does the Whisperlite compare to the Pocket Rocket as far as fuel efficiency vs. weight? I also believe the fuel would be easier to backpack for the Whisperlite vs. the bulky canisters for the PR.
Snubbie,

I don't think you'll save a lot of pack space by going with a Whisperlite. The combination of Whipserlite + fuel bottle is generally going to take more space than a PocketRocket + gas canister. The Whisperlite is a good stove. I bought mine in 1987, and it's still going strong. But saving pack space isn't the Whisperlite's strength, and neither is simmering, which is difficult on a Whisperlite.

What are the Whisperlite's strengths? Well, it uses white gas, which is cheap, generally pretty available, and will run in any temperature. The W'lite is also pretty stable if you want to use a larger pot or pan. The W'lite comes with a windscreen which you should use even in relatively light wind. With the windscreen, the W'lite does quite well in wind -- far better than a PocketRocket.

If you spend I think $10 bucks more, you can get the Internationale version of the Whisperlite which will burn white gas, kerosene, and unleaded automotive gasoline which gives you more options. White gas will burn best, kerosene next, and unleaded should always be last -- use only sparingly. Unleaded won't burn clean, and you will muck up your stove if you do much of it. Bring a service kit if you plan to use unleaded. Switching between gasoline and kerosene does require that you change the little brass jet, but that's usually no big deal. The stove comes with a little wrench/tool for just that purpose.

If you're flying, I've heard some airlines have major restrictions on stoves and fuel bottles. Probably best to check. Some airlines reputedly will only allow new stoves still in the packaging on board. I don't believe that's TSA regs but rather individual airline policy.

HJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well I'm glad to know there is no space savings with the Whisperlite vs the Pocket Rocket so that throws that out as a consideration. (and one less arguement for buying one!)

My greatest concern was finding the fuel canisters in certain areas. Typically, coleman fuel can be found almost anywhere, sometimes even in convenience stores, hardware stores, grocery stores, etc. Not so the fuel canisters for the PR.

I know you can't fly with the mixed fuel gas canisters but you're saying some airlines won't allow a stove or empty fuel(white gas) bottle?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know you can't fly with the mixed fuel gas canisters but you're saying some airlines won't allow a stove or empty fuel(white gas) bottle?
That's my understanding. I'd check with the particular airline you intend to fly with and find out their policy.

HJ

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
HJ,
What is "white gas" exactly?
I look iy up in an English/Spanish dictionary and get a ver unespecific translation...
Is it specifically made for stoves or has other uses?
What kind of stores would you buy it in?
Gracias,
BBerg

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BBerg

BBerg:

It's naptha. Here's a great resource for identifying stove fuels:

http://www.welcomehome.org/backcountry/fuel.names.txt

Regards,
Scott

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HJ,
I look iy up in an English/Spanish dictionary and get a ver unespecific translation...
Is it specifically made for stoves or has other uses?
What kind of stores would you buy it in?
Gracias,
BBerg

This is a somewhat bad term and can be confusing. What it means in the context of stoves is fuel sold specifically for this purpose, like Coleman Fuel. I believe MSR and possibly other companies have their own brands.
It is what is commonly used in Coleman type stoves and lanterns. It is also used in some backpacking stoves.
Hikin Jim has a great site dedicated to stoves: http://www.adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

gpopecustomknives.com

FNG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've been through many stoves, mostly MSR. Starting as a single stove owner, I loved my dragonfly. Then I bought a pocket rocket and never carried the dragonfly, so I sold the DF. I learned my lesson about cold weather and cannisters, so I bought an XGK. Then I realized I couldn't really cook on either of my stoves. I then bought a superfly. Nirvana was attained. I then sold (nearly gave away) my PR. That was about 10 years ago and I am quite happy with my two stoves to this day, but.... I think I now need a micro in my quiver. The PR just wasn't small enough to be convenient IMO. This MR seems just the ticket.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"White" gas is a particular formulation of gasoline. Originally, white gas was just gasoline without the additives. They started adding tetraethyl lead to gasoline in the 1920's IIRC to prevent engine knocking. Leaded gasoline was colored (I think red) to distinguish it from plain gasoline which was referred to as "white gasoline." Later, Coleman came up with their own formulation for stove and lantern use. The Coleman formulation is a little less volatile than automotive gasoline from what I've read and includes rust inhibitors. So, what we have today isn't exactly the same as what was originally meant by the term "white gasoline," but the name stuck, and that's the way it is referred today.

Incidentally, in areas where Amish live, I've heard you can get true white gasoline (automotive type gasoline without any additives).

In Spanish white gas would be "gasolina blanca." Sometimes white gas is referred to as bencina. If you're hunting down in Mexico, I understand that Coleman Fuel is available in some locations (albeit pricey) based on a conversation I had with one gentleman.
[Linked Image]

HJ

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
If you want to learn a lot more about white gas/coleman fuel, take a look at the link I posted earlier. It is an excellent source of info on coleman fuel...

Scott

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Thank you for your replies.

HJ,

I am in Spain, not in Mexico, and here "gasolina blanca" would be the literal translation of "white gas" but it does not make any sense as there is no such a thing as gasolina blanca.

From Scott's link I see it is "Bencina" which is a very volatile petroleum destilate used as a solvent. No idea where to buy it, though...

Using my stove here is not a problem as I can buy Coleman Fuel, but the reason for asking has to do with traveling to remote destinations in central Asia and not being able to take the fuel with me on the plane.

Which stove should work better with unleaded gasoline?
Unleaded gasoline I will be able to buy anywhere, I guess...

BBerg

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is a somewhat bad term and can be confusing. What it means in the context of stoves is fuel sold specifically for this purpose, like Coleman Fuel. I believe MSR and possibly other companies have their own brands.
It is what is commonly used in Coleman type stoves and lanterns. It is also used in some backpacking stoves.
Hikin Jim has a great site dedicated to stoves: http://www.adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/
There are four brands in the US that I'm familiar with:
Coleman
Crown
MSR
Sunnyside

MSR is typically very expensive, particularly when you consider that it is only sold by the quart whereas the other brands are all sold by the gallon.

WalMart used to carry Ozark Trail brand white gas (their in house brand), but are now carrying Coleman.

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ScottBrooks
If you want to learn a lot more about white gas/coleman fuel, take a look at the link I posted earlier. It is an excellent source of info on coleman fuel...

Scott
Excellent link. There's an updated version of the International Fuel Names List maintained by Doron Papo.

HJ

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thank you for your replies.

HJ,

I am in Spain, not in Mexico, and here "gasolina blanca" would be the literal translation of "white gas" but it does not make any sense as there is no such a thing as gasolina blanca.

From Scott's link I see it is "Bencina" which is a very volatile petroleum destilate used as a solvent. No idea where to buy it, though...

Using my stove here is not a problem as I can buy Coleman Fuel, but the reason for asking has to do with traveling to remote destinations in central Asia and not being able to take the fuel with me on the plane.

Which stove should work better with unleaded gasoline?
Unleaded gasoline I will be able to buy anywhere, I guess...
Kerosene is generally considered the most widely available fuel internationally. The MSR XGK EX stove is a very sturdy stove that can burn kerosene. In a pinch, it can burn diesel, but you wouldn't want to do much of that. Diesel is a dirty, nasty business.

The XGK EX can also burn white gas, Av gas, jet fuel, and unleaded auto gas.

I'd say the XGK might be a good option if you're headed to remote places in Asia. It's not cheap ($150 MSRP and you have to buy a fuel bottle for ~$20), but if you're traveling to Asia for a hunt, it would probably be a small fraction of your budget. I'd probably get the expedition service kit if I were going somewhere remote.

HJ

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,548
Posts18,510,226
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.