Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by abbydog
...See you doctor, get set up with a trainer at your local gym, hire a nutrionist....

That reminds me of an old saying: A fool and his money are soon parted.

For celebrities and other high earners, maybe, but a bit of web surfing and a few used books for us DIY'ers. Picked up my used bench and weights off c/l; muay thai bag and gear wholesale from manufacturer.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by abbydog
...See you doctor, get set up with a trainer at your local gym, hire a nutrionist....

That reminds me of an old saying: A fool and his money are soon parted.

For celebrities and other high earners, maybe, but a bit of web surfing and a few used books for us DIY'ers. Picked up my used bench and weights off c/l; muay thai bag and gear wholesale from manufacturer.

The doctor and the nutritionist will likely be lard-asses, don't waste your money. If you can afford a trainer, you can afford to go to a Crossfit "box" (gym). You'll get individualized instruction there, and you'll learn functional fitness that no anabolic injecting "personal trainer" type even understands.

Or, you can just do like I do, and work out in your garage. A squat rack/cage (CL), a quality bushing type olympic barbell and bumpers (about $6-700 or so), a #14 med ball, a glute-ham developer, a jump rope, and a Concept II rower will take you a lot farther than most will ever get.

As for books, Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe is a must read. ON diet anything by Barry Sears is a good start.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I agree with those who said 10 lbs / month is ambitious, especially at the later stages. I would focus on fitness and diet and let the weight take care of itself as you build muscle. You should definitely get guidance from your doc about how hard to push your heart. There's a time for intensity, but you'll need to lay in the foundations first. There's no substitute for time spent in the gym and walking. I hate to say it but an hour a day would not be unrealistic if you can do that given other obligations. But be sure your heart's OK first.

I
I
10 lbs a month is easily accomplished as long as you stay determined and disciplined.
I am a "crossfitter" however I would not reccommend this to someone who has not trained enough before hand, injuries are common and can easily ruin a hunting season.

Consider that if you are gaining strength at the same time you are losing weight, you are losing fat and gaining muscle. In other words, if you are losing 10 lbs of body weight/month, it is important to note that you are gaining lean muscle mass as well, so you may be losing 15 lbs of fat(F) and gaining 5 in lean mass(LM)
Keep your workouts simple but high intensity and low rest frequency. Focus on movements like:
Squats
Leg Press/Deadlifts
Bench Press
Pull downs or chin ups
Rows

these are the meat and potatoes of strength and fitness if you aren't in to olympic style lifting.
I would suggest no more than 3 days/week of weight training, with cardio training on seperate days.

set some small goals for yourself and reward yourself when you hit them.
You dont need to hire anyone, you have it in yourself to change. Good on you for taking the first step. As cheesy as it sounds, take some before pics now. Men are visual learners (why do you think we always want pics with the stories on here) seeing your progress will help spur you on.
Best of Luck

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Calcoyote,

I have a couple questions. You are in your mid-40s from later posts right? And exactly what is your height and weight? What is your level of activity and your background on working out?

As far as weight loss goes you can lose weight either lifting or running or cardio or whatever. Diet is 90% of it, don't let anyone fool you into thinking otherwise. Another thing to keep in mind is that what type of lifting you do matters AND that as long as you have a good bit of extra weight in the form of fat your body is going to add muscle pretty easily unless you are running a pretty steep calorie deficit. You may want to add a bit of muscle but as far as weight goes it still counts.

10 pounds per month is a pretty steep calorie deficit btw.

Of course you may be a hard gainer who doesn't put on muscle easily. Thing is that running a steep calorie deficit along with a large increase in training intensity in high impact activities is a very good way to get injured. For instance going from where you are to running 20+ miles a week, or lots of heavy weights in multi-joint movements, etc in a few months is not a good idea.

I lost 50+ pounds over a two year period (I ballooned up on too much heavy resistance training and too little cardio over a few year period) and know a few of the pitfalls. The key is to stay on course diet wise, get plenty of sleep, and slowly push your fitness activities forward. Get a routine you are comfortable with and slowly and methodically ramp up intensity and time.

As far as programs go I went with the Men's Health Abs Diet, which is really not a diet at all. It is eating sensibly for life not something to drop 20 pounds in a month or two. I ran 3 times a week going from a light jog for 20 minutes up to some pretty aggressive hill training (treadmill) & trail running a couple years later with a couple resistance training sessions a week thrown in for good luck. The resistance training was all circuit/superset type stuff.

Good luck,
Will

Smellin' a lot of 'if' coming off this plan.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by Calcoyote
In December I started dieting and hitting the gym and have lost 24 lbs but alas, I have another 50 to go. My plan is to lose 10 lbs per month and be healthy enough to start going on a few short 2-3 day pack trips in July and Aug for some preseason scouting and then do a full blown backpack hunt in Oct.

You lost 4.0 lbs per week since you started. Now you want to maintain a 2.5 lb. loss per week for five months.

All while increasing your strength training. And while not incurring any othopaedic injury. At age 48.

IMO, you should be thinking about 2013 for reaching your goal. You may just cripple yourself up good at this rate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree.

THE biggest key to long term development is consistency. Consistency in diet and consistency in workouts. Injuries can put an end to progress in a second. Stay cautious, stay on track, and stay active. And always remember that diet is the one variable that you are in complete control of. You may have good days and bad days in the gym but you and you alone are the one who controls your diet.

As an aside here is a piece of advice that may or may not start a [bleep] storm: Ignore anyone who advises you to start some very aggressive exercise program which involves lots of heavy lifting or gobs of high impact sprints or runs.

The people who advise this are fools and will get you injured and on the sidelines. These internet experts have sabotaged more beginning workout plans than all the idiotic fitness bloggers and marathon training plans written for 23 year olds ever have. IMvHO that is. Take it for what it's worth.

Will

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I checked my BMI about 15 months ago and was shocked at being overweight. Always thought due to my height that I was average weight.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm

I think these calculators give you a good idea of where you should be at. I cut out pasta, bread, ice cream and cheese, started running and lifting more and lost 24 pounds in last year. I am in my mid 40s as well. Goal is to be in good enough shape for another bighorn hunt one of these years.

Glad you are after it. I constantly remind myself that it took me years to get that far out of shape and to be patient with my training. I am back to 5.5 mile runs on weekends and feeling pretty good these days. You can do it but be patient.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Penguin

As an aside here is a piece of advice that may or may not start a [bleep] storm: Ignore anyone who advises you to start some very aggressive exercise program which involves lots of heavy lifting or gobs of high impact sprints or runs.

The people who advise this are fools and will get you injured and on the sidelines. These internet experts have sabotaged more beginning workout plans than all the idiotic fitness bloggers and marathon training plans written for 23 year olds ever have. IMvHO that is. Take it for what it's worth.

"The greatest mathematical risk with these movements (Crossfit) is in not doing them."

Gregg Glassman

I suppose he should just run right? The American College of Surgeons states that over %80 of runners sustain a running related injury every year, that really sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks for that link. Says I need to lose 17 pounds which is surprisingly near my preconceived target.

Since I last was able to exercise much I developed plantar fascia problems, bursitis in my achilles tendon, and buggered up my back something fierce.

Getting old sucks.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Running injuries occur because those that take up running push too hard and too fast. Again, the ligaments and tendions don't get stronger nearly as fast as the muscles. That and the fact that running puts 30 times the strain on the legs and hips that walking does.
The other thing is that loosing weight in the conventional manner of dieting involves going into starvation posture. Which means one consumes less in calores than the body consumes. In order to do this all calores consumed are burned, including the proteins needed to build new muscle tissue. In fact, those that loose more than 2 pounds a month are also consuming muscle tissue as well as fat. That's why no program, unless it's trying to sell it's diet products, recommends dieting when trying to improve one's condition. E

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Running injuries occur because those that take up running push too hard and too fast. Again, the ligaments and tendions don't get stronger nearly as fast as the muscles. That and the fact that running puts 30 times the strain on the legs and hips that walking does.

You've got it backwards E, most runners get injured due to too much volume/not enough recovery. Daily runs, like daily bench presses, aren't too smart. Also, running in cushy running shoes, on pavement, with poor form, will injure most anyone. Unfortunately that is exactly how most people run.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I doubt it's "running" that injures folks. Shuffling/jogging and striking hard with the heel ain't "running". Running means getting out over your toes and making headway. The metabolic demands required by running limit any potential for skeletal injury, at least for this guy.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I only see one runner in my neighborhood who actually "runs".

She's late 20's, with long legs and low body weight. She's fast and touches the ground like a cat.

Everybody else around here looks like they're hurting. Even the high schoolers.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tell you one thing, if we start talking about the merits of running shoes and the causes of running injuries I'm not sure Rick has enough memory to hash that one out. :p

This is one of the reasons I didn't make any recommendation for this fellow to run. Choose a few exercises regimens, (elliptical, treadmill, resistance, stairmaster, bike, jogging, whatever) and burn some calories. Work hard but under control. Changes your blood chemistry. Build up some insulin sensitivity. Get into shape.

But that isn't going to make you lose the kind of weight that this man wants to shed. 90% of what he wants to lose will be lost in the kitchen. What he uncovers once the weight is shed will depend on genetics and what he has been up to in the gym. And of course his ability to do high output exercise will increase dramatically once he is losing the weight... but don't rush it, demons live there.

My own opinion on foot strike, shoe type, etc versus injury has been molded a lot by a couple guys who have really studied it and my own experience. As a pretty large guy for a runner, someone who midfoot strikes, and my propensity for running trails... well I feel better and have a more natural stride with a moderately cushioned shoe with 6 to 8mm of drop from heel to toe. Seeing that I have a size 12 EEE foot you can guess that it has been really tough getting a shoe that works for me. That is changing though, a lot of good options coming online for me now.

Will

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
<snip> Seeing that I have a size 12 EEE foot you can guess that it has been really tough getting a shoe that works for me. That is changing though, a lot of good options coming online for me now.

Will

Will,

Can you post links to online sources of big wide shoes?

I too am blessed with dainty little feet like yours. wink

John

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I order from: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/

If you have a pair of shoes that fit well they have this nifty little shoe comparator that will show you how another shoe compares roomwise and recommend the best compromise in that shoe. It worked really well for me. They also have a function to search on size, width, heel/toe drop, etc.

Shoes that fit my needs are pretty rare but I have a couple that have worked well. Believe it or not the LaSportiva Crosslite in size 47.5 fits really well even though it is supposed to be a thinner shoe. The Asics 33 Series in 12.5 does alright though it is a tad tight and a tad long. I don't like the fit enough to keep them though, the drop on them feels less than the advertized 10mm though... probably buy a set of Saucony Triumph in the spring. And I'll have to go over on length to get the width I need but the heel/toe drop is about right. They feel good when I tried them on but I haven't bought them yet.

Will

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

This is one of the reasons I didn't make any recommendation for this fellow to run. Choose a few exercises regimens, (elliptical, treadmill, resistance, stairmaster, bike, jogging, whatever) and burn some calories. Work hard but under control. Changes your blood chemistry. Build up some insulin sensitivity. Get into shape.

But that isn't going to make you lose the kind of weight that this man wants to shed. 90% of what he wants to lose will be lost in the kitchen. What he uncovers once the weight is shed will depend on genetics and what he has been up to in the gym. And of course his ability to do high output exercise will increase dramatically once he is losing the weight... but don't rush it, demons live there.

My own opinion on foot strike, shoe type, etc versus injury has been molded a lot by a couple guys who have really studied it and my own experience. As a pretty large guy for a runner, someone who midfoot strikes, and my propensity for running trails... well I feel better and have a more natural stride with a moderately cushioned shoe with 6 to 8mm of drop from heel to toe. Seeing that I have a size 12 EEE foot you can guess that it has been really tough getting a shoe that works for me. That is changing though, a lot of good options coming online for me now.

Will

On this we agree. New Balance's Minimus line of shoes has a heel 4mm higher than the forefoot. Cautious use is advised for anyone who already runs any real mileage, as transitioning to these shoes will trash your achilles quickly. I'm using the MX20 and the MT20 currently, I can't run more than three miles without a dull ache in my lower calf/ achilles tendon. More stretching is needed. The New Balance shoes are all available in a wide now. They also have a minimus road shoe and they are coming out with "transition" shoe with a bit more padding that is basically their redesigned racing flat.

I am of the opinion that learning to run on the mid or preferably forefoot will strengthen the lower leg markedly, enabling one to use lighter footgear in the mountains without injury

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus - better website/BMI calculator

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Frankly, TAK, if "pushing too hard and too fast" isn't the same as "too much volume..." then what is it ?
I do agree that bad form or poorly designed shoes do make it worse. E

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 280shooter, 257_X_50, 22 invisible), 1,527 guests, and 1,088 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,123
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.