Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just 2 simple questions.

(1) How many actually have lost a Quality Scope (Leupold or better) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

(2) How many have actually broken a Weather Stable Stock (Not Wood) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

Answers only need to pertain to the 2 above questions and not turn into comments about your manly ability to shoot 1000 full house rounds out of an Elephant Gun in your Tee Shirt while leisurely passing time on a sunny afternoon grin

Just the facts, thanks smile

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
never..either one..not a problem!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rifle

This.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My .243 broke the lead sled.... grin

Actually, I've never used one.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My questions are obviously inspired by responses given to gahuntertom's post about these Lead Sled things grin

It's a direct question and I'd like to get a feel for the actual scope and stock destruction anyone has experienced due to the use of the Lead Sled.

I'm not talking about the Walmart blister pack scopes or the foolishness of plopping a wood stock in there. Heck,I've broke the wrist on a Winchester 1897 12 gauge by shooting from my shoulder (Wood ain't hard to break). No I am talking about an all weather type of stable stock (either laminated, fiberglass, carbon, etc).

I find it interesting that a few thousand 22 pound F-Class rifles, shooting a couple thousand rounds, don't seem to have the ill effects upon scopes that a similarly weighted Lead Sled is said to have.

So, let's have it guys...

Again...

Who here has actually blown out a "Quality Scope" (Leupold or better) or broke a "Weather Stable" stock (Laminate/Fiberglass/Carbon/Tupperwear) due to shooting in a Lead Sled.?

Just the facts..

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Nope and nope.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have repaired 3 or 4 laminated stocks that were damaged in a Lead Sled. The first had the rear swivel stud completely torn out. The butt support extension on the bottom came close to contacting the stud. When the recoil pad compressed from recoil the stud was torn right out of the stock. Two others developed tang splits, trigger web splits and recoil shoulder splits. These wre heavy recoiling rifles and were not partciularly well bedded before they were brought to me for repair. Two were Lapuas and one 378 WBY. I think there was a fourth but can't recall the specifics. No synthetics that have come to my attention. I have no idea how the users had the sleds weighted. I quit doing public stock work about 3 years ago so that`s the extent of my exposure to their effects.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Stocker,

Thank you for sharing these details.

Pretty obvious that this sloppy handling within the cradle (Butt Extension) of the Sled by the shooter in order to tear a sling stud out.

Okay, still waiting on those reports where synthetic stocks have been broken in the Sled... I've "heard" it's hell on stocks but now I can't get one single testimony where a quality synthetic stock has been broken. Anyone..?

Pics would be awesome grin

And where are all those guys that have had their good quality scopes broken by this destroyer of scopes..?

Let's hear about it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have seen 2 stocks broken on lead sleds. One a Ruger walnut stock and another a Tikka. Ruger was a 338WM and the Tikka a 30/06.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

Thank you Scott..!

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have 400 plus rounds through my 500 Jeffery, 100 or so using a lead sled. My standard load is a 570g TSX or A-Frame at 2300 fps, but have gone as low as 2150 and as high as 2510 fps. I've been lucky, my Leupold 1.5-5x scope is still fine as is my pretty wooden stock. I only use the lead sled for load development or initial sight in, but am too wimpy to do those things without it. I started without and got an Epic bruise! If the scope breaks I'll send it back to Leupold. If the stock breaks I'll put in a synthetic and CeraKote the metal. In every cloud there's a silver lining or a lightning bolt waiting to hit you!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by colorado; 08/30/12.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Repaired a Weatherby stock damaged by a Lead Sled. I hate the fuggin things.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A synthetic "Weatherby" Swampy..?

Like I said earlier. "wood ain't hard to break... I've broken it shooting from my shoulder.."

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

[Linked Image] [/quote]

I'm a little off topic here but.... THAT is a beauty.!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,

I use a lead sled with 40 lbs of shot. A conservative estimate, I've probably shot 25 rifles chambered from 17 hebee to 458 lott off this rest, both wood and synthetic in the last two years with nary' a problem.

[Linked Image]
I usually remove the rear stud before I shoot. Easy and saves problems.

The front support is adujstable front to rear.
[Linked Image]
Mauser 98, 35 Whelen

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A little pipe insulation that you can buy at Lowes, Home Depot or most hardware stores works fine for absorbing recoil.

[Linked Image]

Another tool, used judiciously, works fine.

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/30/12.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

geedubya,

What about the Redfield.. how do you keep the cross-hairs and glass in that optic.?

I hear that the "tool" destroys scopes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't know why splitting wood stocks "doesn't count" in your poll.

Being that most rifles are still stocked using the stuff.

For the record, I've seen a Sako 75 in 300WSM that split at the wrist whilst being shot on one.

Was shown a 700 stock in .300 WM that was split right behind the slot for the recoil lug. They took the rifle apart and discovered this after the groups started opening up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much destroyed the laminated stock on a RMC 50 caliber flintlock. 6 pound rifle, 410 grain conical over 100 grains of Swiss FFFg in a lead sled with 2 bags on board. Should have known better, but I really wanted to shoot a bison with that rifle.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John Moses,

I eliminated wood stocks simply because I have split, cracked, and completely broken them while shooting them against my shoulder. (Wood ain't hard to break)
I have not split, cracked, or completely broken synthetic stocks by shooting them against my shoulder.

So, to keep all things equal, I want to see if those things (synth stocks) which have NOT broken against my shoulder are breaking when shot from the Lead Sled.

Hope that helps in the understanding as to why smile

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
This rifle was built by a fellow named Wayne Barnett. He was a long time gunsmith in the Pasadena, Texas area. I do believe this rifle was built in the eighties. I've owned it close to 10 years.

It has made at least a dozen trips to the range. Before I started using a lead sled, I used a similar rest and strapped it down to the bench with ratchet straps. I usually take 5 or 6 rifles to the range when I go and make at least a 1/2 day of it.

The old redfield seems to work fine in the field

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I took it to the range last Sunday, two groups out of a clean barrel. First is with 225 gr Spitzers
[Linked Image]

The second is with 225 gr Nosler Accubonds

[Linked Image]

I'm using the Accubonds.

And a couple of adjustments to get ready for pokin' porkers this weekend.

Shot one, too far left, so back right a touch (no clicks on this scope)
Shot two, good, but up a touch just for grins.

Shot 3 is where I left off

[Linked Image]

I'm off to the lease tomorrow. See if I can't poke a hill country hoglet or two with it this weekend.

Best

GWB

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been a regular shooter for well over 60 years and have never even SEEN a lead sled.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by zimhunter
I have been a regular shooter for well over 60 years and have never even SEEN a lead sled.

So then, It's safe to say that you've never broken a synthetic stock or blown a scope due to using one... grin

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
GWB,

Thanks for posting more pics, Great Hog.

Best to you on your hunt tomorrow..!

I hope you have success with that awesome 35, I too love my Whelen..!!!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
358wsm,
Thanks for the kind words.
Had hoped to get away today but that didn't work out. Will stay through Monday though. Dove Season opens the 9/1 so I'm taking a shotgun, some bacon and some jalepenos. Hard to beat bacon wrapped, jalapeno stuffed dove breasts grilled over mesquite coals. Do a little varmint calling, maybe bust a hog or two. We also trap and snare hogs and that can be fun also. All and all, hoping to cure the symptoms of SDD (Shooting Deficit Disorder).

Best

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/30/12.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I said I didn't envy every aspect of that, more than just a little, I'd be lying. cry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

We all should be so lucky.

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swampman700

We all should be so lucky.

How so Swampy, and why..?

Seriously, I've conducted a little Campfire poll here to gain honest information based upon experiences of members, and guess what.

Here's the facts that have come in so far..

(1) Not one report of any solid stock (other than wood which is often broken, split, or cracked when simply shot from the shoulder) being damaged.

(2) Not one report of a quality scope being damaged due to the Sled.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Just 2 simple questions.

(1) How many actually have lost a Quality Scope (Leupold or better) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

(2) How many have actually broken a Weather Stable Stock (Not Wood) due to shooting from a Lead Sled.?

Answers only need to pertain to the 2 above questions and not turn into comments about your manly ability to shoot 1000 full house rounds out of an Elephant Gun in your Tee Shirt while leisurely passing time on a sunny afternoon grin

............Answer to #1...........No scopes lost!

Answer to #2..........Never damaged a stock.

Why?.........Because I have never used nor will I ever use any lead (pussy) sled.

If anyone needs a lead sled to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groupings because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn`t for that individual.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bigsqueeze,

That philosophy would also suggest to include that,

".... if anyone needs a recoil pad, a PAST pad, and even hearing protection to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groups because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn't for that individual..."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Bigsqueeze,

That philosophy would also suggest to include that,

".... if anyone needs a recoil pad, a PAST pad, and even hearing protection to enjoy bench shooting and/or to tighten up the groups because of flinching, then that cartridge really isn't for that individual..."

............Well I`ll disagree with your analogy comparison.

Recoil pads are usually built in to the stock butt and come with the rifle. Slip on recoil pads and padded shooting vests are additional options for those who wish to own a heavier recoiling cartridge, which as aids will help with any recoil or flinching issues.

Compared to the simpler and far more convenient aids I mention above, lead sleds are bulky, inconvenient, a PIA to tote around, and do diminish imo the development of better shooting skills (eliminating bad habits) either with shooting positions or to correct flinching.

And regardless of whatever centerfire round is being fired, hearing protection should always be worn anyway.

Using a slip on pad, a shooting vest or both to correct flinching and to reduce felt recoil is all well and good. But if one has to use a lead sled to better enjoy bench shooting his particular cartridge, to reduce flinching and/or to achieve better groups, then that cartridge imo isn`t for that person.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too? Only way to shoot is free handed or from the hip like the "dead man"
The sled is merely a rest if you choose to load it up with weight and use it as a recoil suppressor then take what ya get

And no to broken scope or stock but I don't load her up with weight

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too? Only way to shoot is free handed or from the hip like the "dead man"
The sled is merely a rest if you choose to load it up with weight and use it as a recoil suppressor then take what ya get
................Hey Georgie! I never mentioned anything about not using shooting bags, sand bags or a tripod. I use them.

Those are shooting rests which shouldn`t be equated entirely to a lead sled. A lead sled is not only a rest, but it is also a complete recoil nullifier for the most part.

And to suggest from my posts that I meant any type free hand shooting from the bench is idiocy on your part.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
But anyway, getting back to the OP.... grin

Just 2 simple questions.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Put 20 rounds downrange from a bench with my 500 Jeffery without a sissy pad or other aid, and I guarantee you'll have either an epic bruise or flinch or both ...

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by colorado

Put 20 rounds downrange from a bench with my 500 Jeffery without a sissy pad or other aid, and I guarantee you'll have either an epic bruise or flinch or both ...
............That`s why just about all of us including me don`t own and would not own a a 500 Jeffy.

For the heaviest recoiling bigs, then I suppose the puzzy sleds would have their place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess sand bags and shooting bags are for puzzies too?

No, they are for people who actually want to touch their rifle when shooting it.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sooooooooo Swampy, when it comes to "touching," what part of the firearm do the sand bags contact, that the sled doesn't..?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Originally Posted by rifle

This.

this this

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can scarcely touch the rifle in one of those Rube Goldberg contraptions.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh... I see. Thanks for the response.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I shoot mostly offhand, haven't used the sled since I settled on a load. I can still hit soda cans almost every time at 100 yards with my Jeff (used to be able to hit them at 200 offhand with my 270 before I got old and shaky lol). I practice offhand because I don't usually have a benchrest where I hunt and it hurts less. As far as sissy pads go, I think some of you aren't putting them on your shoulder!

Last edited by colorado; 08/31/12.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I shoot mostly offhand, haven't used the sled since I settled on a load.

And I think this is exactly how it needs to be done for those who are going to be hunting those rifles whether from a Sled, sand bags, or the jacket wadded up on the hood of the truck. That is, to find the load, get dialed in, get off the bench, get into field positions, and practice.
-----------------------------------------------------------

In keeping with the OP...

I've tried to get an accurate accounting of damages caused from use of the Sled.

The findings so far over the course of 3 days now, from our small sampling of 'fire members, are as follows;

(1) Number of stocks damaged (other than wood) = None.
(2) Number of Scopes damaged (Quality Glass) = None.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You cannot eliminate wood stocks.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He can do what he wants it's HIS poll...now go play with your own pole

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mostly 7-8 lb Wingmasters with 3 inch 12 gauge slugs.......but never a hitch using my buddies Sled for more than a decade.

2 cents

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[/quote]............Well I`ll disagree with your analogy

Using a slip on pad, a shooting vest or both to correct flinching and to reduce felt recoil is all well and good. But if one has to use a lead sled to better enjoy bench shooting his particular cartridge, to reduce flinching and/or to achieve better groups, then that cartridge imo isn`t for that person. [/quote]

Sorry Sir, but I beg to differ....

My Dr. Recommended I buy a Lead Sled several year ago. Had a bad accident & cracked two vertebra in my lower back, & two in my neck.

Was heading to Colorado Elk hunting a couple of months later & the Lead Sled was my ONLY option on working up new loads for my 300 RUM. With 180 Partitions instead of my usual 200gr load.

Definately saved my old ass another trip to my neurosurgeon, & saved my Elk hunt that year.
Just goes to show the Lead Sled can & does have practical applications.

And as far as using it as a tool to un-learn your flinch, are you suggesting just keep shooting until your shoulder is black & blue and your flinch will somehow disappear ???

Everyone has a flinch from time to time no matter what caliber they are shooting.
A Flinch is your body's instinctive reaction to noise & recoil. We all have it, but we must teach ourself mentally to overcome our natural reaction to noise & pain.

Anyone with a flinch could possibly benefit from using a lead sled to re-train themselves mentally. Especially younger shooters, whom don't get to spend enough time shooting & training because of their urban environment they now grow up in.

Not everyone grew up ranching & shooting every day like I did. And I still catch myself flInching occasionally no matter how many thousands of rounds I've put down range.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/01/12.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
............Well I`ll disagree with your analogy

Using a slip on pad, a shooting vest or both to correct flinching and to reduce felt recoil is all well and good. But if one has to use a lead sled to better enjoy bench shooting his particular cartridge, to reduce flinching and/or to achieve better groups, then that cartridge imo isn`t for that person. [/quote]

My Dr. Recommended I buy a Lead Sled several year ago. Had a bad accident & cracked two vertebra in my lower back, & two in my neck.

Was heading to Colorado Elk hunting a couple of months later & the Lead Sled was my ONLY option on working up new loads for my 300 RUM. With 180 Partitions instead of my usual 200gr load.

Definately saved my old ass another trip to my neurosurgeon, & saved my Elk hunt that year.

And as far as using it as a tool to un-learn your flinch, are you suggesting just keep shooting until your shoulder is black & blue and your flinch will somehow disappear ???

Everyone has a flinch from time to time no matter what caliber they are shooting.
A Flinch is your body's instinctive reaction to noise & recoil. We all have it, but we must teach ourself mentally to overcome our natural reaction to noise & pain.

Anyone with a flinch could possibly benefit from using a lead sled to re-train themselves mentally. Especially younger shooters, whom don't get to spend enough time shooting & training because of their urban environment they now grow up in.

Not everyone grew up ranching & shooting every day like I did. And I still catch myself flInching occasionally no matter how many thousands of rounds I've put down range. [/quote].........I didn`t mention or include any medical conditions where a lead sled would certainly be more beneficial. In your case and for medical reasons, then a lead sled is needed to fire the round you wish for big game.

But for those who are in good medical condition, I will still stand by my opinions. I believe that bench flinching can be solved without using a lead sled. I`ve done it and know other who have done so as well. And we aren`t exactly shootin pea shooters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He can do what he wants it's HIS poll...

So let's just ignore the fact that the wrist of these rifles was shattered by a Lead Sled. Only a democrat could think like that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm not saying that lead sleds aren't hard on stocks and scopes, they are. We don't use a sled for the 375 Weatherby except for sight in, because we don't need it, same goes for my older son's LH M70 in 416 Rem. I started out shooting the 500 Jeff "like a man", no sissy pad, no sled, no slip on recoil pad for initial sight in and load development. I quit at 18 rounds (all I had loaded). When my buddy and went to lunch, I suggested somewhere that had beer, because I could already feel the swelling. Here's a lovely pic to go with your breakfast or lunch, and don't tell me I was holding the rifle wrong, I've been shooting rifles for 40 years. It got significantly worse over the next three days. The bruise you see was the morning after, the blood migrated up and over eventually the bruise covered the entire right side of my chest and my right arm below the elbow. That's why I bought a lead sled Swampy. Feel free to come visit and put 20 downrange with my 500 Jeff from a bench wearing a T-shirt like I did with no sissy pads or slip on recoil pad and tell me how tough you are. I shoot the 500 Jeff that way offhand now, but not from a bench (just a T-shirt or a light jacket) because I practice like I hunt. It's my favorite rifle to shoot offhand, which I do everytime I go to the range, but I won't shoot it from a bench without the sled.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by colorado; 09/01/12.

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You cannot eliminate wood stocks.

You see Swampy, when you are trying to conduct a scientific experiment using comparisons, you MUST keep all the variables the same.

THAT is elementary, and no matter how ignorant of this fact you might want to appear, you know it is true.

Not only can I eliminate wood stocks, for the sake of real science, I must eliminate them.

I know that I have explained the reasoning behind this to you (and others) before, but I am happy to do it again.

Here goes; "Wood stocks break, split, and crack when fired from the shoulder - Synthetic stocks do not break, split, or crack when fired from the shoulder."

You cannot use a variable that is known to fail outside of the test medium as a viable variable within the test medium, if wooden stocks did not break, split, and crack when fired out of the sled, we could then include them.

See, so simple that even (you) a Swampman can get it grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
............Well I`ll disagree with your analogy

Using a slip on pad, a shooting vest or both to correct flinching and to reduce felt recoil is all well and good. But if one has to use a lead sled to better enjoy bench shooting his particular cartridge, to reduce flinching and/or to achieve better groups, then that cartridge imo isn`t for that person.

Not everyone grew up ranching & shooting every day like I did. And I still catch myself flInching occasionally no matter how many thousands of rounds I've put down range. [/quote].........I didn`t mention or include any medical conditions where a lead sled would certainly be more beneficial. In your case and for medical reasons, then a lead sled is needed to fire the round you wish for big game.

But for those who are in good medical condition, I will still stand by my opinions. I believe that bench flinching can be solved without using a lead sled. I`ve done it and know other who have done so as well. And we aren`t exactly shootin pea shooters. [/quote]

Okay, we can agree to disagree. I know it can be done, I'm just saying it might not be the best option for everyone. Flinching can be solved without a lead sled. I'm merely saying it could be used as a viable option.
And I value the opinions of most others here on 24CF, as I do yours. I read the Forum daily, & if I can't learn something new every week from other members, I'm doing something wrong.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put many rounds through 378, 338-378, 338 Lapua IM, on my lead sled and no problems. If your breaking stocks and scopes it's probably due to having too much weights on the system.If it's good enough for the Marines shooting 50's in Muzzy land it's all the proof I need.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The damage I've seen was done without weights. It's just too much stress on the wrist of the stock. A rifle has to move freely. Plus what's the point if you aren't even touching the rifle. You may as well rig up something to pull the trigger too. Maybe you could sit in the truck and pull the trigger with your laptop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You have seen these I hope....

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/

You can't eliminate broken wood stocks....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Simple google search turned up a McMillian and a Remington Mountain Rifle (not wood) that were broken on Lead Sleds. Hey they are your guns......I wouldn't risk one of mine.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
WTF do you care? The man asked us to answer a question based on personal experience according to his particulars flawed or not

I did a google search and ten people saw the Boogie man last night too...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just trying the help those who might consider using one not to ruin their rifles. Their use should void any warranty.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The damage I've seen was done without weights. It's just too much stress on the wrist of the stock. A rifle has to move freely. Plus what's the point if you aren't even touching the rifle. You may as well rig up something to pull the trigger too. Maybe you could sit in the truck and pull the trigger with your laptop.

The rifle does move freely and is against your shoulder. Obviously you've never used or seen one. Set up your long range heavy hitter from 100 yds -- all the way to 1000 yds with 250-300 grain bullets, should take you most of the day and probably 80-100 rounds then come back and tell us how your flinch was at the end of the day and how sore your shoulder was. They aren't meant to be used all the time Sherlock, they're meant to set up a new rig, new scope, new bullets, different loads,for rifles that kick hard and shoot long ranges. Of course if you shoot a 30-30 you don't need one.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Lead Sled will end civilization.

358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
The Lead Sled will end civilization.

That's funny right there, Thanks JM grin

--------------------------------------------------------------

I've got no dog in the fight concerning the Sled.

I'm simply trying to get to the facts as best as I can based upon experiences had here by those who have/do use one.

So far, based on the experiences shared here at the Campfire, Quality Scopes and Synthetic Stocks simply are NOT being damaged due to the use of the Sled.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm not saying that lead sleds aren't hard on stocks and scopes, they are. We don't use a sled for the 375 Weatherby except for sight in, because we don't need it, same goes for my older son's LH M70 in 416 Rem. I started out shooting the 500 Jeff "like a man", no sissy pad, no sled, no slip on recoil pad for initial sight in and load development. I quit at 18 rounds (all I had loaded). When my buddy and went to lunch, I suggested somewhere that had beer, because I could already feel the swelling. Here's a lovely pic to go with your breakfast or lunch, and don't tell me I was holding the rifle wrong, I've been shooting rifles for 40 years. It got significantly worse over the next three days. The bruise you see was the morning after, the blood migrated up and over eventually the bruise covered the entire right side of my chest and my right arm below the elbow. That's why I bought a lead sled Swampy. Feel free to come visit and put 20 downrange with my 500 Jeff from a bench wearing a T-shirt like I did with no sissy pads or slip on recoil pad and tell me how tough you are. I shoot the 500 Jeff that way offhand now, but not from a bench (just a T-shirt or a light jacket) because I practice like I hunt. It's my favorite rifle to shoot offhand, which I do everytime I go to the range, but I won't shoot it from a bench without the sled.

[Linked Image]

Man, that ole Jeffery really did kick your azz...

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yup, because I didn't respect her... "Baby" and I know each other better now. Took her to the range today and hit the 10 ring with each of five shots at 100 yards offhand. Didn't shoot it once from the bench lol ...

Regards,

Chuck

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1)Nope
2)Nope

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An RSM stock split with one rifle and a nice Diavari went south on another. Stock was replaced and the Diavari was repaired. Quite frankly though, I don't see lead sleds in use too often outside of maybe some accuracy testing or load development. Most I know would not use the lead sled for zeroing or practice because odds are holding the rifle down into the device would effect your resulting POI compared to other techniques and it is not realistic for trigger time. I don't think the device itself is the issue, but I do think its misuse can be a problem when too much weight is added to quell recoil. It becomes pure physics if you lock down and restrict the rifle too much as the forces are dumped back into the rifle. If you don't think this can damage a stock, scope or mounts, try shooting your rifle with the butt rested against a tree and report back on the results after a few hundred rounds.

As for the 500 Jeffery, I don't see any elephants in my future but I do see a Cape Buffalo or two left in me before its done. For those, recoil from the Jeffery makes me feel good about my choice to use a 9.3x62 smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Gary, Thanks for the video..!

I agree with you Gary, anything that bears against the stock as it recoils will increase, (by way of physics) stress/compression to the materials...

....much like a short stocky shooter laying prone behind a bi-pod laden rifle would add more stress/compression than a tall lanky shooter would while standing and firing off hand. grin

Very good to finally hear of a scope failing, whether the Diavari's failure was due to the Sled is questionable though, isn't it.?

I'd like to hear about how the physics of a Sled vs a Shoulder would be more stressful upon a Scope... curious about this dynamic.
---------------------------------------------------------------

As for the RSM (a wooden stock), I remember you sharing with us earlier that;

"...keep in mind that most will crack in the thin webbing between the mag box and trigger inlets. This thin webbing is the only material holding together the stock sidewalls between the front and rear action screws. You may consider adding either a hidden internal cross pin reinforcement, or a through and through external cross pin reinforcement at this location. I've yet to see an RSM without this added reinforcement survive long before this webbing area split from the forces of recoil pushing the sidewalls out."

Based upon your experiences, it seems that stock was bound to fail without any help from a Sled smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read this entire thread. Swampman and bigsqueeze seem very anti-lead sled and I'm not sure why even after reading their posts which to me are based on their perceptions more so than their experiences. I'll base my words on my experiences. I have used a lead sled extensively for initial sight in of slug guns. They kick like a mule and the sleds help alot when you're sighting in several. You may have to fine tune the scope slightly when shooting from the shoulder after but that is very infrequent. I have a DFT version and it is overkill. The original lead sled would be fine for most folks application. It saves a person from the bruises shown in the photos in this thread. How that cannot be beneficial is beyond me. I have heard or more distinctly, read, of scopes breaking and stocks cracking from a sled. Very possible. Neither has ever happened to me and I have had some guys use some pretty cheap scopes on slug guns that you would think may be a good candidate for breakage. Not all gun stocks are well laid out and many are anaemic in the grip area. Had a gun stock maker call that to my attention recently on a rifle the folks are asking $4500 for. He said if it were ever dropped it'd be a custom "two piece stock". I was looking at the beauty of the wood and his experienced eye went directly to the weak spot. If it can happen to be laid out that way on a rifle of that stature, I'm sure it happens with every big name manufacturer. My experience with lead sleds have been positive, they are a tool that when used as intended, is an asset not a liablility.

"I will remain what I am until the day I die- A HUNTER"......Sitting Bull
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (300_savage, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 673, 18 invisible), 1,249 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,994
Posts18,481,127
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.