Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Butch and Jeff,
A topic you guys brought up earlier in this thread about cut rifled barrels lasting longer than button rifled barrels....this topic was discussed many times this past year on the benchrest circuit I was shooting in.
Most of the shooters were in agreement that current barrel steel among all the top barrel makers is of poorer quality today than it was say 5 years ago.For example I have a 5 year old Krieger barrel 1-14" twist chambered in 6ppc that died at about 2000 rounds, the one I bought last year puked at 1200. Some claimed Bartlein and several others doing the same thing.
One of the best shooting barrels I saw last year was a Hart that Dan Dowling had that lasted the season

Now that's a cheery bit of info. frown If that's the case with custom barrels, gawd knows what the factories are using for mass production.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Which is interesing because the last years,more than 5 tthough, factory guns have become more and more accurate off the shelf...

Curiously, I don't see that the accuracy was different???? Just barrel life?

But IMHO there have have always been blips like this. I just hope its not an indicator of the future. And God knows I"d pay even more for a barrel if I knew it would last longer.

I know a friend had a Schneider some years ago that was put on a 223 bolt gun and he never shot hot loads in it, and that one was dead for highpower requirements in 1700 rounds or even less as I recall.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Didn't Crucible die a couple years ago? I believe the barrel makers are scrambling to find good steel.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm putting a #1 Stainless Krieger on my next lightweight 250AI. Oops, I meant a #7, they don't go lighter than that in stainless. Silly [bleep].

Lol.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is a proven fact that the slow the rifle twist you can get by with the longer the barrel will last.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm putting a #1 Stainless Krieger on my next lightweight 250AI. Oops, I meant a #7, they don't go lighter than that in stainless. Silly [bleep].

Haha!

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
My 35 Whelen carries a Shilen barrel; #4 contour, stainless, 25" long. It routinely shoots factory ammo with 225 grain Trophy Bonded bullets into 3/4" at 100 meters. Also, I've been able to get 225 grain Ballistic Tips in handloads into 5/8" at the same distance. Certainly not a target rifle, but then she kicks back at 'cha a bit more than most target rifles do too. I like Shilen barrels.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have three rifles with Match select Shilens and they shoot great.

25-06AI
7mm-08

Recently built a 280AI with a Benchmark barrel and it outshoots the Shilens hands down. Easier to clean and temp doesn't affect it as much. Just a tad cheaper.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The last couple of barrels I have used were Shilen match grade. They shoot every bit as good as the $300+ barrels that I have previously used. I have used Schneider this past year as well. They didn't shoot any better than my Shilens. I really like the ratchet rifling that they have.

I won't, however, use a button rifle barrel on a contour smaller than #4. I have found on HUNTING rifles, that a cut rifled barrel in smaller contours has a tendency to shoot different bullets to the same point of impact at 100 yards and don't seem to wander as much when they heat up. From #4 on up I haven't noticed enough difference to worry about it.

As for the barrels listed, I wouldn't use a Hart or a Lilja if they were given to me on a dare. There- I've said it. Barrel makers tend to be arrogant and these two are by far the worst I have encountered.

And I have two #1 contoured Stainless Kriegers. I talked them into it because I told them I hunt where it's hot. They are both pretty good barrels but not earth shattering.

Seems like when a top name bench shooter does well with a particular piece of equipment, the masses can't get out of each others way fast enough to see who can get their head up his arse furthest. I think that is why you see one barrel brand dominate for a few years and then someone else finds better snake oil and all of a sudden, brand X is not good enough anymore.

One thing is for sure, when building a hunting a rifle, worrying whether to by a Rock or a Shilen or a Krieger or whatever is the least of your troubles- they are ALL better than what a typical hunting rifle can ever shoot. Switching barrel brands is not going to change a thing. Just like Butch, I won't use a select match for a hunting rifle; that's like putting super unleaded in your Yugo- not going to make it run any better.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Seems like when a top name bench shooter does well with a particular piece of equipment, the masses can't get out of each others way fast enough to see who can get their head up his arse furthest. I think that is why you see one barrel brand dominate for a few years and then someone else finds better snake oil and all of a sudden, brand X is not good enough anymore.

One thing is for sure, when building a hunting a rifle, worrying whether to by a Rock or a Shilen or a Krieger or whatever is the least of your troubles- they are ALL better than what a typical hunting rifle can ever shoot. Switching barrel brands is not going to change a thing.

That about sums it up right there.

IC B3

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 300_savage, 5sdad, 257robertsimp, 348srfun, 15 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 990 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,552
Posts18,510,398
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.