Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
It was a unusually warm day today in Central Pa. so I did a video selection of the most popular choices of ammo for the Governor.
I test the new Hornady Triple Defense, Winchester PDX1 triple disc, Federal 000 buck, Winchester 45LC 225 Long Colt.0

My full review of the Governor here:
"http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/289833-governor-fires-judge-finally-taurus-free-governor-review.html"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mystro; 02/25/14.

The Lord loves humility.
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I feel sorry for any perp that gets killed by one of those things.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great review! Thanks

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Governor is on my short list of guns I need to own

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Centurion75

I think you need a new list.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Centurion75

I think you need a new list.

Travis

Bahaha! Agreed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Serious question for yall? Why would this not make an excellent self defense handgun? For one, its a revolver and for two, you can see from the video that it is accurate and apparently quite deadly. Not to mention you can use .45acp as well

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boococky
Serious question for yall? Why would this not make an excellent self defense handgun? For one, its a revolver and for two, you can see from the video that it is accurate and apparently quite deadly. Not to mention you can use .45acp as well
Excellent? In a word, NO!!

It's massive, and .410 looks really impressive when it hits paper. But what does it translate to when it hits tissue? How far do those pellets penetrate?

They're gimmick guns where defense is concerned. Outside of about 10 yards, the patterns open up pretty big, and both hits on target and penetration become even more of an issue.

For snakes, using Fiocci #9 shot in .410 they're absolutely awesome. But who has snake problems so bad they need a dedicated snake gun?

As a defensive revolver in .45 Colt; now it's decent. The .45 Colt is a first rate defensive cartridge, not some silly gimmick like the .410. But then you have to ask. If I wanted a large bore revolver for self defense, why saddle myself with a HUGE 5 shot with marginal accuracy? Why not just get a REAL revolver in the cartridge you want?

These things sell because they play off the ignorance of people who don't really know their guns (I'm not trying to be rude, just stating the facts...there's no shame in being ignorant of how guns really work; we all were beginners at some point).

Shotgun cartridges are most effective in long guns. Even in a long gun, .410 wouldn't be my first choice.

If you want a revolver for self defense, then just buy a real revolver and be done with it.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No one seriously considers a 410 shotgun an ideal weapon for self defense. The shotgun will get about 1200 fps the revolver 410 will be lucky to get 600 fps if that much. The huge cylinder to accept the shot she'll is overly long for the 45 Colt and that is not conducive to accuracy. These type weapons excel at nothing.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
KevinGibson and jwp475 nailed it! Good posts.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Awesome test! I need one of these!

Eric

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Having hunted small game with a .410 handgun at very close ranges, I can tell you, you'd be seriously hindering yourself by this choice.

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Meh...
I bought the Taurus Judge out of curiosity to go test it out. I have a large handgun collection and it wasn't untill I did some shooting and killing with it that I started to see the beauty and knew it was more than a novelty when used correctly.. At that point, it was time to step up to the much better quality Governor with night sights.
I have killed several farm animals with my Judge that I owned at the time. One hog we put down was shot (10 feet) in the head with the Federal 000 buck and it blew its skull into mush. Another pig we put down and it was smaller in size and it took the top of its skull completely off. Its all about the ammo you use in these. The shot pistol is like fire, scarry at first but very usefull when used correctly with the right ammo. It makes a great Personal Defense weapon when you stick to the 000 Buck, 45LC. Its even a better trail gun. I have killed countless grey squirrels with Federal #4 shot. After owning both, I can tell you the Governor keeps a much tighter pattern and was more accurate than my Judge.

The Federal 000buck does NOT open that much more past 10 yards. Even 20 yards its the size of a 5" circle. The 000Buck is where its at with these guns. The standard 410 loads are crap in these pistols. Even with Shot Pistol specific loads like #4 are not that great for a human and what I use for squirrels and small game at reasonably close distances.

The empirical data is there.... This is a 10 yard shot with 000Buck. 30 feet is longer than most anyone's room in their house. The idea is to stagger the cylinder with 000Buck and 45LC to handle the very rare scenario you are defending your self past the 15-20 yard mark. At that point you better have a hell of a lawer for engaging much past that.
Even old Hickock45 can see the beauty.

How can you possibly argue with 4 36caliber balls in a 2" group at 10 yards???
Its accurate as hell and very controllable. Its all about the ammo.

[Linked Image]

At 29.5oz, its lighter than its size would have you believe. Carry it on the belt in a good holster or good shoulder rig and you won't know its there.
[Linked Image]

The Lord loves humility.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think some of you experts are missing the point. Most self defense and police shootings are inside 7 yard and a large number are within touching distance. Any .410 ammunition you put in the chamber will work well at that range. The trouble with .45 colt or .45 acp ammo is over penetration. Make yourself up a fake studded wall with drywall on both sides and test your preferred ammo on that. Now just imagine, in the dark in the middle of the night in your house. Your kids might be on the other side of the wall from the burglar in your house. In that case bird shot might be the best. I can't imagine a better handgun for such a scenario. The only thing better would have been my trained police K-9, but he's long gone.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ccrifles
I think some of you experts are missing the point. Most self defense and police shootings are inside 7 yard and a large number are within touching distance. Any .410 ammunition you put in the chamber will work well at that range. The trouble with .45 colt or .45 acp ammo is over penetration. Make yourself up a fake studded wall with drywall on both sides and test your preferred ammo on that. Now just imagine, in the dark in the middle of the night in your house. Your kids might be on the other side of the wall from the burglar in your house. In that case bird shot might be the best. I can't imagine a better handgun for such a scenario. The only thing better would have been my trained police K-9, but he's long gone.
Well I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm not saying it's worthless, because for home defense at those sorts of ranges it will probably work; it's just far from ideal. If you're thinking birdshot out of a .410 you may be in for a rude awakening. In 16 years on the street as a Paramedic, I've had several people shot with birdshot. Including those shot in the chest inside of 10 yards. EVERY last one still had fight in them if they chose to. With 12ga buckshot, inside of 20 yards, I've yet to treat a single victim; all were declared dead at the scene.

Look up birdshot ballistics gelatin testing and you'll see that from a 12ga it MIGHT reach deep enough to hit vitals from a frontal shot. Now if it's iffy with a 12ga from an 18" barrel, how well do you think it's going to work from a .410 with a 3" barrel?

As for misses and walls...Simply put, if you have family in other rooms, you just can't afford a miss. ANYTHING that will penetrate soft tissue enough to reach the vitals will zip right through wall board. Actually wall board is easier to penetrate than living tissue. Fire a pellet gun at a ham, and then shoot it at a couple pieces of wall board; it's interesting.

So what you want to know for home defense is not so much will it penetrate walls if I miss (yes it will, if it won't; it's inadequate for defense); but will it penetrate a wall AFTER going through a human torso...now THAT's over-penetration for home defense.

Hey, before I became a paramedic I thought the same thing you do. I thought birdshot out of a shotgun would be perfect for home defense. When I started treating ACTUAL shooting victims, it was a real wake up call. In fact, I'm generally not real impressed with shotguns. Inside 20 yards with #4 or larger BUCKSHOT, they're devastating. Outside 20 yards, I've never seen a fatality from a shotgun with buckshot.

So for .410 buckshot, inside of 7 yards it's probably marginally adequate. Understand that you're talking very small round ball projectiles. Round balls have very little sectional density. 000 buck which is (IIRC) .36 caliber at about 70 grains per projectile. So think of a handgun shooting a 70 grain bullet at only 700 fps. That's a touch less than a .32 ACP, but with only about half the sectional density of the .32 ACP (stop and think about that...a .32 ACP that penetrates half as far; how much confidence do you have in that?). So even if there are a dozen balls (and there aren't in a .410), if none of them reach a sufficient depth, what then do you have?

So the Governor/Judge is an adequate defensive revolver. In .45 Colt, I would use a bullet in the 200-230 grain JHP load which should be just about ideal for a dedicated inside the home load. Use that and you have as good of a load as you can ask for from most any handgun. The Governor only has 5 shots, but if you make them count, it will get the job done.

So if that's what you have, you can be quite well armed. If I were buying a new gun, I would just buy a normal revolver in the caliber that suits me.

Just don't get caught up in the .410 hype because that's all it is. Sure it will get the job done at very short range. But what if someone's holding your loved one hostage at 10 yards away; you wanna take that shot with a .410 buckshot load? What if your assailant is 20 yards away shooting at you. I haven't seen a 12 ga shooing buckshot ever kill anyone beyond 20 yards; you really think a 3" .410's going to get the job done?

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The Governor has 6 shots. The skulls I shot were penetrated thoroughly and the smaller skull I shot penetrated completely through, blowing it apart.. It had enough kinetic energy. Shooting a thinner human head would equal a closed casket. The getting shot by 4 rounds at the same time in a very small point of impact is what amplifies its effectiveness. If you don't have confidence in your weapon then I understand. Having owned one and tested it out way beyond what the average owner can do certainly brings more clarity to its potential and actual field performance. I certainly would take a head shot at 10yards with 000Buck or 45LC if the opertunity called for it.
Considering the Governor can shoot 410, 45LC and 45acp, its almost a perfect weapon for a gun owner with multiple calibers and likes to reload. The versatility is unmatched by any other handgun. Consider it just another tool in the toolbox of handguns. Its just more of a multi tool.

The Lord loves humility.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shotgun revolvers are an answer to a question that was never asked. Poor performance with bird shot, and why even shoot buckshot? The spread is not exactly going to clear any hallways. Just shoot a bullet and do the job correctly. But then you're packing a big, ridiculous, unwieldy proposition that is better suited to the set of Hellboy than the streets.

It seems like they sell well with the Bubba crowd; S&W will probably make some money off of them and their stocks will increase, so there is one upside!

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Poor performance with birdshort on humans. What buckshot is supose to clear a hall way anyway??? The gun is multi dementianal and can be used with personal defense, critter hunting. survival, pests in areas you don't want ricochets, etc,... They also make a hell of a swamp gun. It goes well beyond just the bad guy in my house scenario. I suppose you would actually have to own one to have any educated experience on its potential. Just because a gun may not fit "your" ideology doesn't mean its wrong or inferior.

What is the "Bubba" crowd??

Originally Posted by prairie_goat

It seems like they sell well with the Bubba crowd;

The Lord loves humility.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mystro
What buckshot is supose to clear a hall way???

Exactly.

The uniformed, typically overweight, Team Realtree clad, Outdoor Channel watching buyer with more money than sense who purchases the Taurus Judge, Butt-Out tool, and camo wallet. Bubba often can be seen in his natural environment, at the Wal-Mart gun counter spouting off complete BS to anyone who will listen. Alternatively he comes on internet forums to preach more of the same.

Regional variations abound, including Self-Defense Bubba, Tacticool Bubba, and Backpacking Bubba.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Hmm... Never occurred for me to classify someone that way....

[

The uniformed, typically overweight, Team Realtree clad, Outdoor Channel watching buyer with more money than sense who purchases the Taurus Judge, Butt-Out tool, and camo wallet. Bubba often can be seen in his natural environment, at the Wal-Mart gun counter spouting off complete BS to anyone who will listen. Alternatively he comes on internet forums to preach more of the same.

Regional variations abound, including Self-Defense Bubba, Tacticool Bubba, and Backpacking Bubba.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
What buckshot is supose to clear a hall way???

Exactly.

Can't forget archery only bubba, ATV bubba, or beer drinking bubba.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I once had a Thunder 5, similar concept.

It went down the road.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been around a Taurus Judge enough to know it's a silly concept. A regular revolver will take shot capsules for snakes, so there's really no advantage to the shotgun/revolver.

Another issue which I have yet to see addressed regarding shotgun revolvers is the lack of adjustable sights. If you decided to use one for hunting you are pretty much SOL if your loads don't shoot to POA. A full framed handgun that sucks for hunting, yet has a sight system normally found on concealed carry revolvers...which it's not worth a crap for either because it's huge.

I'm not real sure what the shotgun/revolver is good for, other than separating Bubba from his money.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've owned two Judges and a Governor. The Governor is the correct execution of the concept the Judge popularized. I've shot them extensively as some of the posters on this thread know.

The bottom-line on the Judge is that the ones I've owned are unreliable when fired double action. In fact, Hickok was mentioned and I think I've probably shot them more extensively than he has. IIRC he did little, if any shooting double action. I own single actions and obviously they will not shoot without being cocked. If I own a double action though, I expect it to shoot properly both single and double action. To me, there is no reason to argue further about patterning, 45 Colt accuracy, etc. I want a double action to shoot double action.

The Governor is a more versatile gun in some respects, than the Judge. If you want a gun with 45 auto capability the Governor is for you. I don't really care about that and I'd really rather have the 3" chambers of the Judge than the Governor's 2 1/2" chambers and the 45 auto capability. But that's how it is. The Governor is fairly light and is easier packing to me, than my 44 Mag. Mountain Gun. I have a DeSantis for the Judge I no longer own and it is a sweet holster, but it wasn't made when I got the Governor. I bought like the third Governor I ever saw. I've got a custom-made holster for mine.

The Governor's accuracy with 45 Colt's is adequate as is the patterning with most self-defense loads as long as the range is close up. The Governor is surprisingly light too. The recoil is not bad as long as the 45 Colt loads are cowboy or standard. I would not shoot hot loads in this gun as they are not recommended. The Governor also shades the Taurus on capacity, carrying six shots rather than five, as was noted.

I like the Governor and don't trust the Judge. As an aside, I don't trust the Tracker either. They are a cute gun and one I wanted until I've heard the exact same stories from owners that I experienced with the Judge.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been shooting rats when I bushhog with .357 shot capsules loaded with #8 shot. It often takes 2 shots for each rat if they are big ones...and often there will be more than one rat. I've used a short double 12 gauge and a single shot 20 gauge before but it takes to long to get them in action from a tractor and they are a bit of overkill. You can call me Bubba cause I'm dying to try a Governor for this... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd probably take this setup, over a shotvolver

[Linked Image]

smirk

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've been shooting rats when I bushhog with .357 shot capsules loaded with #8 shot. It often takes 2 shots for each rat if they are big ones...and often there will be more than one rat. I've used a short double 12 gauge and a single shot 20 gauge before but it takes to long to get them in action from a tractor and they are a bit of overkill. You can call me Bubba cause I'm dying to try a Governor for this... grin
I had never liked the concept of the Judge before one of my ponds, which is not far from the house and which the kids frequently walk around, became infested with snakes one year. I shot a few with my Smith .44 MG and the shotshells just shredded the bastards. However, when I went to get some more they were very expensive. Seeing an opportunity, I bought a Judge which I'd previously thought was fugly. I admit to falling in love with the gun. For about a year I carried and shot the thing more than any other gun that I have. I further admit that some here loved flaming it and I was constantly shooting and patterning it to prove them wrong, sometimes with success and other times not so much. One day it struck me that if I really was to use it for self defense, I should be shooting it as I would for that, in double action. I don't think many Judge users fire theirs double action because the problems I had were duplicated across two guns. There are many versions of the Judge and maybe others with different versions don't have these problems. I won't say mine were an anomaly however, since several fixes for these problems exist on the Judge site and also I talked to a gun dealer whose son had identical problems and who had the same ones with his Tracker. I tried a couple of the fixes and they improved reliability but not to an acceptable level.

IMO the Judge could do what it is supposed to if Taurus would just be more careful in their manufacturing and qc processes. Then they'd have the Governor.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice Randall and fabulous holster. I bought my wife a Walker. She always loved one I had and traded off. So a couple of years back I spied a nice one and got it for her. She's also got a Colt Navy reissue.

[Linked Image]

Folks here are probably tired of this pic but I like posting it. Apologies in advance for the re-re-post.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have killed several farm animals with my Judge that I owned at the time. One hog we put down was shot (10 feet) in the head with the Federal 000 buck and it blew its skull into mush.

You shot a pig in the head from the 4yd line and it died? While I don't make a habit of shooting pigs at 10', I'm going to go out on a limb and say a .40, .45, 9mm, .357, .224, or just about any other caliber bullet would have also resulted in a very dead pig.

Because there is no benefit to it. If I'm shooting something at 10yds I want the benefit of an expanding HP or the penetration of a hard cast. A .36 caliber ball going that speed is not an advantage.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by ccrifles

Yeah. Let me run out and buy a .410 handgun for all those intruders that warrant deadly force and hide in front of the wall that separates us from my son's room so that I can not penetrate the wall for fear of hitting my son.

This is obviously a niche that needed filling in the handgun world.

Travis

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I had never liked the concept of the Judge before one of my ponds, which is not far from the house and which the kids frequently walk around, became infested with snakes one year. I shot a few with my Smith .44 MG and the shotshells just shredded the bastards. However, when I went to get some more they were very expensive. Seeing an opportunity, I bought a Judge which I'd previously thought was fugly. I admit to falling in love with the gun. For about a year I carried and shot the thing more than any other gun that I have. I further admit that some here loved flaming it and I was constantly shooting and patterning it to prove them wrong, sometimes with success and other times not so much. One day it struck me that if I really was to use it for self defense, I should be shooting it as I would for that, in double action. I don't think many Judge users fire theirs double action because the problems I had were duplicated across two guns. There are many versions of the Judge and maybe others with different versions don't have these problems. I won't say mine were an anomaly however, since several fixes for these problems exist on the Judge site and also I talked to a gun dealer whose son had identical problems and who had the same ones with his Tracker. I tried a couple of the fixes and they improved reliability but not to an acceptable level.

IMO the Judge could do what it is supposed to if Taurus would just be more careful in their manufacturing and qc processes. Then they'd have the Governor.

I'm not understanding the reasoning in ammo being too expensive for one gun, so buying an entire gun to replace it? The money spent on a Taurus Judge would buy a lifetime worth of snake loads for a 44 mag.

I've seen the double action issues on a couple of other Taurus revolvers; the problem is certainly not limited to the Judge.
Taurus = Crap.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Considering the Governor can shoot 410, 45LC and 45acp, its almost a perfect weapon for a gun owner with multiple calibers and likes to reload. The versatility is unmatched by any other handgun. Consider it just another tool in the toolbox of handguns. Its just more of a multi tool.

I don't see the benefit to it. I don't understand why you wouldn't just want a .250gr. Keith (as an example) hitting that target, as opposed to some .36 cal balls.

Travis

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I want a Governor or Judge in 12 ga 3.5 inch

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have killed several farm animals with my Judge that I owned at the time. One hog we put down was shot (10 feet) in the head with the Federal 000 buck and it blew its skull into mush.

You shot a pig in the head from the 4yd line and it died? While I don't make a habit of shooting pigs at 10', I'm going to go out on a limb and say a .40, .45, 9mm, .357, .224, or just about any other caliber bullet would have also resulted in a very dead pig.

Because there is no benefit to it. If I'm shooting something at 10yds I want the benefit of an expanding HP or the penetration of a hard cast. A .36 caliber ball going that speed is not an advantage.

Travis

The pig shot with the ridiculous handgun tells me a lot.

For one, when butchering hogs, one doesn't want to kill them outright, you're only looking to stun the hog so you can hang them, slit their throats, and bleed them out. When their hearts are still pumping it acts sorta like a sump pump, and does a much better job of bleeding them out than if they are dead...which results in nasty pork.

For another, a 22 LR or even a short will do the job. I've killed several pigs outright with skull shots from a 22 LR at <10ft, so that must mean it's an awesome self defense weapon?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked for a Meat Packing company in the killing room when i was a teen and i killed 90 % of the Sausage Hogs and Beef Cattle with a Remington Single Shot 22 with Shorts , Bang Flop.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yea,yea...You know everything. Bla,bla,bla... I cant tell if you are just confrontational or just stupid.

One 380fmj might not be the most effective tool but when 4 are shot simultaneously in a 2-3" area extrapolates its effectiveness considerably.

You either get it or you dont. You obviously are not in the market for one so give it up and stop wasting bandwidth.
The shotpistol is alot like giving a Bic lighter to a caveman. 8 out of 10 will see its usefulness but there will always be those 2 caveman that will scratch their ass with the lighter as they rub two sticks together.

Travis

The pig shot with the ridiculous handgun tells me a lot.

For one, when butchering hogs, one doesn't want to kill them outright, you're only looking to stun the hog so you can hang them, slit their throats, and bleed them out. When their hearts are still pumping it acts sorta like a sump pump, and does a much better job of bleeding them out than if they are dead...which results in nasty pork.

For another, a 22 LR or even a short will do the job. I've killed several pigs outright with skull shots from a 22 LR at <10ft, so that must mean it's an awesome self defense weapon?

Watch what Hickok45 says about the Shotpistol (and this is with a lower quality Judge).....

Last edited by mystro; 02/26/14.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The irony of Smith & Wesson copying Taurus makes me smile...... grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yea,yea...You know everything. Bla,bla,bla... I cant tell if you are just confrontational or just stupid.

You either get it or you dont. You obviously are not in the market for one so give it up and stop wasting bandwidth.
The shotpistol is alot like giving a Bic lighter to a caveman. 8 out of 10 will see its usefulness but there will always be those 2 caveman that will scratch their ass with the lighter as they rub two sticks together.

That's a very poor analogy because a Bic lighter would make fire more efficiently than two sticks.

Travis

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In the old days, a .36 caliber round ball settled many an argument but also caused quite a few lingering deaths. When well-placed, it worked reasonably well. However, they were also running 1000fps and therein lies a substantial difference between an 1851 Navy and a .410 with a barrel shorter than its cylinder. Especially if that .410 is firing hardened shot. Percussion guns use softer swaged balls and usually expand at least a little bit. That, coupled with their velocity makes them far more effective than any .410 scatterpistol. No amount of wishful thinking is going to change that.

Originally Posted by KevinGibson
These things sell because they play off the ignorance of people who don't really know their guns (I'm not trying to be rude, just stating the facts...there's no shame in being ignorant of how guns really work; we all were beginners at some point).

Sad but very true.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My take on this thread is, you either like the concept of a handgun that fires shot shells or you don't

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Bahaha.

Roundball loads can be fired from a normal revolver - for instance a 44 Mag will take three .429" sized and flattened balls, a 38 Special three 35 caliber balls.

Normal revolvers can fire shot capsules for snakes.

So just where is the huge step up in usefulness?

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks Bea175, your take is exactly correct. Its been that way with this idea. I was on the other side of the fence until I experimented with one. I am fine with the take it or leave it argument. What is so disturbing is how the "My way is the only way" mentality is forced down from such a condescending place from only a few. The "I'm right and have to have the last word". Its rather pathetic. If you like the idea, great because this is the right thread. If you dont, move on and find something else to contribute positively to.

Originally Posted by bea175
My take on this thread is, you either like the concept of a handgun that fires shot shells or you don't

Watch what Hickok45 says about the Shotpistol (and this is with a lower quality Judge).....

The Lord loves humility.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Not really my way is the only way...more like my way is the only one that makes sense.

The Judge and Governor are examples of a pi$s poor fix to a problem that never was.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think the carbine version (of the judge anyway) is neat.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What is so disturbing is how the "My way is the only way" mentality is forced down from such a condescending place from only a few. The "I'm right and have to have the last word". Its rather pathetic. If you like the idea, great because this is the right thread. If you dont, move on and find something else to contribute positively to.

I don't understand why disagreeing with your opinion regarding a handgun is "disturbing."

What I'm saying is that this handgun is simply a poor choice for anything at all. It does nothing well, and everything poorly. If you can explain why .36 cal balls are an improvement over modern day HP's, or why bird shot surpasses a Keith style wadcutter, I'm all ears.

Who is Hickock 45?

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ah yes, the enduro motorcyle -- both on and off-road capable. Can do both, but neither well........ I would rather bank on an "ordinary" revolver, but that's just me.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Who is Hickock 45?

An old TN guy with a penchant for shooting Glocks very well, has a steel plate range in his backyard, and makes a lot of video's covering a lot of handguns.

I don't think he's ever shot a gun he didn't like so his opinion on them all is pretty much "they're fun"...

Not exactly a quality reviewer...

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HugAJackass
Who is Hickock 45?

An old TN guy with a penchant for shooting Glocks very well, has a steel plate range in his backyard, and makes a lot of video's covering a lot of handguns.

I don't think he's ever shot a gun he didn't like so his opinion on them all is pretty much "they're fun"...

Not exactly a quality reviewer...
He's a pretty good old boy. Him not being a quality reviewer may be a bit harsh, but he's probably more on the "fun" side than the hardcore one. His range is pretty awesome. I've seen him do woodswalks before shooting zombie targets and such with AK's, shotguns, Garands and what-have-you. He must have a bit of land besides just the range. I thought he'd been a teacher who retired but then there have been people who've said he's an ex LEO. Maybe he's been both.

His Judge YouTube video is pretty good, but he missed some things. The beginning is awesome though. My kids loved it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bea175
I want a Governor or Judge in 12 ga 3.5 inch
Smith actually produced one in 28 gauge. I know 'cause I saw pics of it on the internet...

Anyway, I did see some pics. The story I got was that the 410 was acceptable to the ATF because it was the same bore diameter as an existent cartridge, the 45 Colt. They supposedly declined the 28 ga. because no existent cartridge would fit. To the best of my recollection anyway.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe I'm wrong. Here's a link to the Raging Judge in that gauge. I sure thought I saw pics of the Governor in that gauge but maybe it's the Raging Judge.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ng-judge-counters-smith-wesson-governor/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" defense is always a good one when there are no facts to fall back on. whistle

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
What are you talking about??? What facts are you babbling about?? 4 projectiles produce more trauma than one when executed at the same time. Especially in a concentrated area. Thats physics at work. The same would apply to any 000buck in a 12gauge but obviously in a more powerful level.
I give a actual video of performance. Like it or not, it was a example of what ammo is out there and how it performs with the Governor. At least I am doing somthing constructive.
Its not my or any other members job to convince you of anything. You seem to think everyone owes you this. You also seem to relish confrontations and pissing matches. Do you ever contribute anything other than to flutter about giving your 2 cents?? From what I can tell that's all you ever do and put up nothing on the forum.

The "If you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all" defense is always a good one when there are no facts to fall back on. whistle

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Post the results of your penetration tests.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

I like the version where the rounds are tube fed rather than using a cylinder and it has a stock and a 28" twelve gauge barrel and an inertia driven semi-auto action.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Youtube is full of them. Not that its my job but....
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Post the results of your penetration tests.

One with a Judge

One with a rifle

One in a Derringer.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Just a novelty piece.

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've never been drawn to these type of revolvers. I have some Glocks, and a Rem 870.

But a couple positive thoughts I have about them,

- Between all the varieties of 45acp, 45Colt, and 410; a person might be likely to score SOME type of ammo it could be fed when supplies are lean.

- With the long cylinder, the 45acp/colt ammo is getting a long running start before hitting the gap. Velocity should be fairly good, and flame-cutting at the gap should be very low seeing how pressure is going to be well past peak.

- simple manual of arms, and versatility in ammo might serve a non-enthuast well enough for home defense tool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shooting buckshot with a rifle has zero bearing on the conversation.

Shooting gel with the Judge and not measuring penetration or the wound cavity isn't a penetration test.

I'm talking about an actual measurable penetration test that we can compare to other rounds and commonly accepted minimum standards for penetration.

Not that its my job but....

You're the guy asserting that this is a viable self defense weapon, so yeah....it is your job to verify what you're saying.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4 projectiles produce more trauma than one when executed at the same time. Especially in a concentrated area.

That's only true when comparing like projectiles. Buckshot and HP's ain't like projectiles.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Meh, I blew a 165lbs pigs skull apart. That was good enough for me.
The job of your own convincing is up to you and if you are really interested in knowing.

The purpose of the thread and video was for owners of this and similar shot pistols. Not to convert the non believers.
I am totally fine of any forum member chooses not to use it. I respect their choice just like I hope they would respect the choice of those members that like the shotpistol concept.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mystro-----I've got Federal's 000 buck in my Poly PD Judge. The Judge is my nite stand gun. My Poly PD Judge has a little wider "pattern" than your Governor----but I'm happy with it.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Just a novelty piece.

Travis

Some said smokeless powder was just a passing fad... cool

BTW, I'm on your side in this argument... grin

I got rid om my .410, Thunder 5 gun. It was just too clunky and heavy for any practical use, IMO.

DF

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd be curious to know what kind of velocity those 000 Buckshot loads are getting from the revolvers. I can understand why folks are not putting their chronographs out in front of those loads though.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Very hard to chronograph but I did managed to get it done. Federal had 1200fps on the box two years ago and now has 850fps on the box. I knew they were not going 1200fps and chronoed them out of a Judge Public Defender that I owned at the time at 850-870fps. Not bad for 290grains of lead from a snub nose.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'd be curious to know what kind of velocity those 000 Buckshot loads are getting from the revolvers. I can understand why folks are not putting their chronographs out in front of those loads though.

The Lord loves humility.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd bet 1200 is probably about right in a typical .410 shotgun.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

- Between all the varieties of 45acp, 45Colt, and 410; a person might be likely to score SOME type of ammo it could be fed when supplies are lean.

My youngest boy bought a Governor, and only then priced factory ammo for it.

He didn't shoot it much.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The specific shotpistol ammo makes a big difference. I bought some typical #4 shot from SG a few years back and it spread way to fast. The Federal Personal Defense #4 holds tighter and is very effective on grouse and gray squirrels at 12-15 yards. In the end its still only a 410 and shot doesn't go very much further.

Originally Posted by tjm10025

My youngest boy bought a Governor, and only then priced factory ammo for it.

He didn't shoot it much.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thing's a [bleep]' gimmick. Marketing it toward the self defense crowd is nothing short of total bullschit and the marketing of it as a viable hunting arm is also bullschit.

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yea, we heard ya the first time. Your not pheelin the shotpistol concept. I didn't think you were gonna buy one, try one, or even experiment with one, so your vast experience with one and opinion is well noted.
Thing's a [bleep]' gimmick. Marketing it toward the self defense crowd is nothing short of total bullschit and the marketing of it as a viable hunting arm is also bullschit.

Travis

The Lord loves humility.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm betting the Governor is a 1/4" revolver.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So a single 000 buckshot round has 12% less weight and 15% less velocity than a 90 grain .380ACP round, in a non-expanding projectile. Just for conversation.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I'm betting with 63516 post you have waayy too much time on your hands..
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm betting the Governor is a 1/4" revolver.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I like the version where the rounds are tube fed rather than using a cylinder and it has a stock and a 28" twelve gauge barrel and an inertia driven semi-auto action.

hmmmm is that kinda like the El Camino's I've seen that have more ground clearance, bigger payload area, etc. ?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
But there is 4 of them at the same time. Germans officers didnt have any problem with a 380 FMJ.
So a single 000 buckshot round has 12% less weight and 15% less velocity than a 90 grain .380ACP round, in a non-expanding projectile. Just for conversation.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know there are four. But a death of a thousand cuts isn't as dramatic as a machete to your noggin.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yea, we heard ya the first time. Your not pheelin the shotpistol concept. I didn't think you were gonna buy one, try one, or even experiment with one, so your vast experience with one and opinion is well noted.

I prefer my opinions to be very well noted.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
But there is 4 of them at the same time.

Does that mean they'd be good for deer and coyotes?

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
True, but four 380fmj shooting you in a 2" area all at the same time is a gonna get the job done. It also takes that 2" area and concitrates the entire area into a mess.
I know there are four. But a death of a thousand cuts isn't as dramatic as a machete to your noggin.

The Lord loves humility.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Coyotes close distances, sure. Deer? Who would purposely hunt deer with a 410 out side of a extreme survival situation.????? That said, I would hunt deer with a 22lr if I had to and get the job done every time. Shot placement is what kills deer, not caliber.
But there is 4 of them at the same time.

Does that mean they'd be good for deer and coyotes?

Travis

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Coyotes close distances, sure. Deer? Who would purposely hunt deer with a 410 out side of a extreme survival situation.????? That said, I would hunt deer with a 22lr if I had to and get the job done every time. Shot placement is what kills deer, not caliber.

So they work on coyotes at "close distance" but they are a poor choice for deer and a better choice for deer would be the 22LR but at the same time a .410 fired out of a Governor is a viable defense round?

Gotcha.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
True, but four 380fmj shooting you in a 2" area all at the same time is a gonna get the job done. It also takes that 2" area and concitrates the entire area into a mess.

Ummm... no. If what you advocate were an ideal defense load, we'd all be carrying 3 round balls in our .44 mag casings.

The reality is a good HP, LBT, or semi-wadcutter is going to do a far better job and not be hindered by range.

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I never said a 22lr is a better choice, I said it would get the job done. All things being equal with shot placement, a 410 000 buck can kill a deer if close enough, just as a 22lr CAN if you really had to. Shot placement is what kills deer. So will a 9mm and I wouldnt recomend hunting deer with a 9mm. What does hunting large game have to do with a Personal Protection pistol??? Where you are missing the mark is the ability to shoot 45LC or even 45acp right along with the 000buck. The possibilities and choices are there all in one cylinder. You don't have to limit the gun to just one type of ammo.

So they work on coyotes at "close distance" but they are a poor choice for deer and a better choice for deer would be the 22LR but at the same time a .410 fired out of a Governor is a viable defense round?

Gotcha.

Travis

The Lord loves humility.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Those are impractical.

MAGA
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Where you are missing the mark is the ability to shoot 45LC or even 45acp right along with the 000buck. The possibilities and choices are there all in one cylinder. You don't have to limit the gun to just one type of ammo.

I can do the same thing with a regular revolver, though with bigger round balls. So what is the advantage of the shotvolver?

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
To shoot 410 ammo if you want to. The 45LC and 45ACP is always a option and the Governor shoots them very accurately. Its a high quality, light weight revolver with tritium sights so its not like you have shoot a 410. Many including myself feel staggering the cylinder with 45lc and 000 buck gives you the greatest option especially not knowing when and how you may have to deploy the gun.. POI with 45LC and with 000 Buck are the same so its easy to open the gun up with a very controlled recoil.

Here is a good video of Guns and Ammo testing the bird shot and PDX1 discs.
Birdshot is getting 8" of ballistic gel penetration. PDX1 buckshot is getting 14" of ballistic gel penetration.

I think this is the video many want to see..

Guns and Ammo test

Where you are missing the mark is the ability to shoot 45LC or even 45acp right along with the 000buck. The possibilities and choices are there all in one cylinder. You don't have to limit the gun to just one type of ammo.

I can do the same thing with a regular revolver, though with bigger round balls. So what is the advantage of the shotvolver?

The Lord loves humility.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I found some gelatin tests with various ammo out of a .410 Judge here:

http://www.410handguns.com/410_gel_results.html

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
From the linked article, it looks like those 000 buck pellets really get smooshed into pellets from setback on firing, and penetration suffers.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Check out this balistic test done by Guns and Ammo
Guns and Ammo 410 Ballistic test

From the linked article, it looks like those 000 buck pellets really get smooshed into pellets from setback on firing, and penetration suffers.

The Lord loves humility.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The Federal Premium plated 4-pellet 000 went all the way through 10" block.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
This is probably what you want.

The elusive 410 penetration tests:
Guns and Ammo 410 penetration test in ballistic gel

Shooting buckshot with a rifle has zero bearing on the conversation.

Shooting gel with the Judge and not measuring penetration or the wound cavity isn't a penetration test.

I'm talking about an actual measurable penetration test that we can compare to other rounds and commonly accepted minimum standards for penetration.

Not that its my job but....

You're the guy asserting that this is a viable self defense weapon, so yeah....it is your job to verify what you're saying.

Last edited by mystro; 02/27/14.

The Lord loves humility.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I am telling ya, it obliterated a pigs skull. Penetration of the Federal 000 buck wasn't even a concern of mine after I saw what it did to thick bone.

The Federal Premium plated 4-pellet 000 went all the way through 10" block.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Those are impractical.

Mine holds thirteen rounds, which is a gagillion busckshots.

I win, I win, I win!!!!!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Thirteen rounds! Nice! Sounds like a serious competition gun.

My 870 is 6+1, but bbl is only 18.5" I keep it stoked with 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Very impractical.....grin

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
But of course, I can shoot shotcapsules out of a regular revolver, and practically duplicate 2.5" .410 performance.

Since we are putting up videos....check this one out:

[video:youtube]wuYInjR3DGg[/video]

Here's a pretty cool deal DocRocket posted a few years ago about making shotshells from 444 Marlin brass:
45 Colt "Magnum" Shotshells

Soo...there's really nothing a shotvolver does better than a normal revolver, except for being able to use factory .410 ammo. BFD.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Show me where you are getting a shot shell to penetrate 8" of ballistic gel???? Then there is the 000 buck at 16" of ballistic gel penetration issue....
I've loaded shot shells up for my 44mag. Great for snakes but no where near the level of a 410.

But of course, I can shoot shotcapsules out of a regular revolver, and practically duplicate 2.5" .410 performance.

Here's a pretty cool deal DocRocket posted a few years ago about making shotshells from 444 Marlin brass:

Soo...there's really nothing a shotvolver does better than a normal revolver, except for being able to use factory .410 ammo. BFD.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL, mine's a bit more unwieldy than yours. 18.5" with six rounds or 21" with eight rounds is a world handier than my beast. But if I can catch the ninja invaders out in the open, I'll put a world of hurt on em!!!

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Oh yeah, you could repel boarders with that!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Show me where you are getting a shot shell to penetrate 8" of ballistic gel???? Then there is the 000 buck at 16" of ballistic gel penetration issue....
I've loaded shot shells up for my 44mag. Great for snakes but no where near the level of a 410.

JFC you are dense.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOAD THE 45 COLT WITH LARGER SHOT.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Which is academic anyway, because using a .410 revolver, or a 45 colt loaded with shot, is a stupid and poor self defense weapon.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My 870 is 6+1, but bbl is only 18.5" I keep it stoked with 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Very impractical.....grin

[Linked Image]

That is frickin' sweet. I don't know what it is about it, because there are tons of configurations of riot gun types out there, but for some reason, that one really takes the cake. I'm not a shotgun guy. All I have are pumps. I've got an old-school 870 bird gun but that almost makes me want to re-configure it that way.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Lets see your proof. You really believe you can load a 45LC shots shell with the same power and volume level as a 410????? Lets see the penitration tests????? Your whole argument was that you could do the same with a conventional revolver that you can do with a shot pistol. There is no way in hell you can. You will never get the power behind a unsupported shot shell.
Not that I am personally a fan of the birdshot but the folks at Guns and Ammo has proven that in a carjacking situation, birdshot from a shotpistol shot under 9 feet is a very effective personal protection option getting enough volume of shot with 8-9" of ballistic gel penetration.

JFC you are dense.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOAD THE 45 COLT WITH LARGER SHOT.

The Lord loves humility.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Just my opinion, but for self defense it's a no brainer to run 45 ACP in it. Moon clips are awesome for quick reloads. ...but I've got little interest in the Governor as a self defense revolver or to shoot buckshot.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Best goddamm pig head blower upper money can buy!

Keep the ranges around the 3yd line.

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I might add "people" head blower upper to that as well. It just depends how much rage you got to destroy your target. grin

Travis

With a Governor, you can move back to 10 yards if you want and still give adequate cranial ventilation.
[Linked Image]

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
http://www.thesunnews.net/scene/214...r__uncovering_the_legend_of_Pigman_.html

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

With a Governor, you can move back to 10 yards if you want and still give adequate cranial ventilation.
[Linked Image]

That truly is a classic photo.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

grin

Yep. A real revolver shoots those patterns at 50 yards smirk

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well let's see here. Similar sized shot fired from a wad carrying load, at similar velocity equals similar performance. Not that hard to figure out. I suppose I could go shoot some non-climate controlled, untested Ballistics Gel, and post the video on Youtube, but I have better things to do with my time.

Like I said earlier, the shot argument doesn't mean a darned thing, as it is an extremely poor self defense load. The "Kills a pig at 10 feet, must be good for self defense" argument is ludicrous.....I've killed pigs at similar distance with a 22 LR, so that must mean it's a top notch self defense weapon? Hardly.

Reference KevinGibson's earlier post about how hot shot loads work on people.

Funny thing about 24hourcampfire....when the vast majority of posters are diametrically opposed to a subject, there's usually good reason for it. Posters here have a lot of real world experience not garnered from Youtube videos...it might be a good idea for you to step back and heed some of their advice.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Burden of proof is your responsibility. I put up when asked to....
When you blow a pigs head apart with a 22lr then it might be viable comparison.
I suspect there's no amount of videos or ballistic gel proof regardless of how many independent sources that were given that you would concede you may be wrong.
. Its a shame you are so closed minded. You ask for independent specs, you got em, you even have multiple videos. You are choosing to ignore them so at this point. Your done, done, and over with this topic.

Poking fun at something new and different is generally a common trait. When a majority does it in these settings is more herd mentality for entertainment purposes.

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Travis

grin

[Linked Image]

I'll see your 50 and raise you 40yds.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When you blow a pigs head apart with a 22lr then it might be viable comparison.
I suspect there's no amount of videos or ballistic gel proof regardless of how many independent sources that were given that you would coincide you may be wrong.
. You ask for independent specs, you got em, you even have multiple videos. You are choosing to ignore them so at this point. Your done, done, and over with this topic.

Poking fun at something new and different is generally a common trait. When a majority does it in these settings is more herd mentality for entertainment purposes.

Poking fun?

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Not at one time though. grin I suspect even farther than 50 yards when carefully shot one at a time. Good shooting.

Travis

grin

[Linked Image]

The Lord loves humility.
M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I see your 50 for 175.

Story at Hornady.com.
Hornady web site trophies.

I go way back with Hornady (and Safariland) in my IPSC Limited class days as a sponsored shooter. Gunsite two times and the first IPSC sponsored shooter to use the 10mm in limited class in the 1990's. You all didn't think I just walked off the playground with a handgun did ya?????? wink Just cause I presented the merits of a shot pistol doesn't mean I am not a 1911 guy with a passion for handgun hunting. I said I have a extensive handgun collection and understand both sides of the shotpistol argument.

Travis

grin

[Linked Image]

I'll see your 50 and raise you 40yds.

[Linked Image]

Travis

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
The 10mm in competition makes about as much sense as a revolver chambered in the .410.

Nice deer.

Travis

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Yea,... If you knew that a 180gr loaded to 1000fps is a damn near perfect IPSC Limited "Major Power" class and I was doing this pre 40S&W days. Now the 40S&W doing the same thing is now the norm. Don't talk about schit you have no idea about. My reputation on many other forums is well established and verified by other competitive shooters so explaining why the 10mm was so attractive is probably pointless.

The 10mm in competition makes about as much sense as a revolver chambered in the .410.

Nice deer.

Travis

The Lord loves humility.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Ok, no more talk about 10's or 40's.

What about that Governor? Can we still talk about that?

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yea,... If you knew that a 180gr loaded to 1000fps is a damn near perfect IPSC Limited "Major Power" class and I was doing pre 40S&W days. Now the 40S&W doing the say thing is now the norm. Don't talk about schit you have no idea about. My reputation on many other forums is well established and verified by other competitive shooters so explaining why the 10mm was so attractive is probably pointless.

Nice deer.

Travis

Okay, back to the Governor. Dang, mystro, 146 posts in a mere 20 days. You rock!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I opened this thread to see if knowing what ammo worked best in the Governor would make me want to have one.

So far, no. But I'll continue checking in from time to time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about a Cabela's 20 gauge Howdah pistol, myself smirk

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Wimp. Get you a 10-gauge double and cut it down at both ends.

M
mystro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I think we presented all the videos, links to balistic gel performance, and opinions that we probably have reached "cow bell" stage.

Like I said earlier, the initial thread was to show other shot pistol owners some viable choices. I never wanted to or convert the skeptics. I know all too well it is a up hill journey.

I respect some ones choice not to use the shotpistol, its certainly not my main choice. It does have some unique advantages in some situations.
If you are competent with your 9,40,10,45, then you shouldn't replace any of them but if you want to ADD a new element to your arsenal, you may be suprised what the shotpistol can bring to the table. Most of us don't NEED a excuse to buy a new gun if we can afford it. I hope the gun sickness is still alive and well.

. I am going to leave the topic and conversation on that closing note. I appreciate everyone's participation for such a spirited thread. We all are gun guys in the end and that's all I really care about..

Ok, no more talk about 10's or 40's.

What about that Governor? Can we still talk about that?

Travis

I think we have reached the cowbell stage.

[Linked Image]

Guns and Ammo test and video of the 410 shotpistol

410 ballistic gel tests

The Lord loves humility.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

[Linked Image]

That is frickin' sweet. I don't know what it is about it, because there are tons of configurations of riot gun types out there, but for some reason, that one really takes the cake. I'm not a shotgun guy. All I have are pumps. I've got an old-school 870 bird gun but that almost makes me want to re-configure it that way.

I really like it too. Tried to keep it fairly clean. I just swapped out the issue stock/forend for Magpul. Other than that it's a plain 870 Tactical.

The only thing that sets it apart from most 870 models is that the magazine is one piece, where most are 4-round mags with extensions added on. The only downside to this setup is I don't think there are many (any?) aftermarket barrels with the magazine lug that far forward. For me it's no biggie as this is just a house-gun/fun gun.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Please let the record reflect that I only respect my opinion.

Thanks,
Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
That magpul hardware is pretty cozy.

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I like how it handles, and the recoil pad is a big improvement over the issued one.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I hate the pistol grips so many shotguns have today. The magpul design feels like a happy medium between the pistol grip and granddads 870.

But holy schit they don't give that stuff away!

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm not a big fan of the pistol grips on shotguns either, that's why I went this route.

The buttstock comes with four 1/2" spacers one can use to give 2" in LOP latitude. Roughly 11.5"-13.5". I've got this on at 12" with one spacer. That works out pretty good for June and myself.

There are also some optional comb pieces available to raise it up for optics use. I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm not a big fan of the pistol grips on shotguns either, that's why I went this route.

The buttstock comes with four 1/2" spacers one can use to give 2" in LOP latitude. Roughly 11.5"-13.5". I've got this on at 12" with one spacer. That works out pretty good for June and myself.

There are also some optional comb pieces available to raise it up for optics use. I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.

I didn't know that about the adjustable LOP. That's pretty bad ass.

Bead all the way....

Although I do sorta like a rear ghost ring too.

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Before you spend a lot of money for a better shot revolver, try loading your own shot cartridges with #12 shot. The problem isn't the shot size, it's the number of shot on target. With 7.5-8 shot, I've always had to shoot a snake 2 or 3 times. With #12 shot, rarely do you have to pull the trigger twice.

The Governor solves the problem by just putting more shot on the target, but you can get that without going to that goofy revolver.

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

I've been looking for #12 in local shops ever since...

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Ah yes, the enduro motorcyle -- both on and off-road capable. Can do both, but neither well........ I would rather bank on an "ordinary" revolver, but that's just me.
Bad analogy...the enduro motorcycle actually fits a need and performs a service.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep, the Venturino article was in Handloader #234, April 2005.

Was quite interesting and eye opening.

These guys have #12 shot:Linky
If you were closer I'd split a bag with you, as I don't see me using 10 lbs. of snake loads up anytime soon!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Bad analogy...the enduro motorcycle actually fits a need and performs a service.

I hate agreeing with Kevin but I did think Whitworth was being a little hard on enduro's when he wrote that...

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yep, the Venturino article was in Handloader #234, April 2005.

Was quite interesting and eye opening.

These guys have #12 shot:Linky
If you were closer I'd split a bag with you, as I don't see me using 10 lbs. of snake loads up anytime soon!

Daaaamn, Johnny on the spot!

Travis

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I didn't know that about the adjustable LOP. That's pretty bad ass.

Bead all the way....

Although I do sorta like a rear ghost ring too.

Travis

Ghost rings are easy to like. I've got the XS version on my 45-70. Real fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yeah - bad analogy. I kicked some crotch-rocket ass on enduros back in the '80's.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
....My reputation on many other forums is well established and verified by other competitive shooters...

I'll bet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think Venturino did a test on this years ago and found #12 to simply pulverize prairie rattlers.

Travis
I don't know if I read that one, but he's right. I got onto it when I noticed that .22 shot cartridges killed every bit as good as .45 ACP shot cartridges; and I just couldn't understand that. Neither one was really impressive. So I took each apart and that's when I found the difference in shot size. Then I remembered when I was a kid visiting a logging outfit and damn near everyone carried a High Standard DA .22 mag in their pocket and they all said the .22 mag shot cartridge killed snakes better than any other commercial shot cartridge. Again, #12 shot, but much more of it.

So a friend and I went halves on a set of RCBS .45 ACP dies for making shot cartridges out of .308 brass. And when loaded with #11 or #12 shot, it was the hammer of Thor on snakes; even big diamondbacks. We then used that same set of dies to make .45 Colt shot cartridges out of .303 brass, which allowed us to extend the brass out to the distance of a seated bullet, which means you can hold a LOT of shot. OMG it just blew snakes into pieces...again with #12 shot.

Since the .303 brass thing took a good deal of work, and the case mouths 9 times out of 10 would split upon firing, I decided to see if there was an easier way. So I just loaded up to the end of the case with shot. Charge powder, seat a gas check with the cup facing up down against the powder being careful not to compress the powder. Now take the round, scoop up the shot and shake off the excess, then cap with a gas check with the cup facing down, and then roll crimp the gas check in place. Be subtle on the roll crimp or it will buckle the gas check...have to fiddle a little to get it right, but it's not tough.

That load was 90% as good as the extended cartridges made from the .303 brass, and was easy-peasy to make. So I let him have the dies and I didn't bother with the extended cartridges anymore. When I need some .45 ACP shot rounds, I just call him up and have him send me a dozen.

So what I learned; most any handgun (typically revolver) cartridge can be turned into a very efficient snake killer with the above listed method. Obviously the larger you go, the more dramatic the performance. .45 Colt was very impressive, but .32 H&R was no slouch by any means. Most times one shot is all you need when you use #12 shot.

So you noticed you can't ever find #12 shot; not surprised. The only place I've found to get it is Ballistic Products: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

The last bag I bought was over 15 years ago and it tends to last decades. IIRC they come in 12lb bags, and I'd still be using mine if I didn't lose it when I moved (it's there somewhere).

#12 shot only comes in those 12lb bags, and gas checks only come in 1,000 boxes; so the initial investment is a little stiff, but you have a near lifetime supply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And on snake loads in regular revolvers...

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/27/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sticking with the simple bead front sight though.
Agreed...I think many people gunk up their shotguns trying to make it into a rifle. If you need a rifle, pick up a rifle. If you need a shotgun, use a shotgun. With the exception of sabot slugs with rifled barrels/chokes, a bead will get you by perfectly for ANYTHING you want from a shotgun. I like the furniture you have on your gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
It's like I said several years back, CCI shotshells from my Mountain Gun will shred a snake. I haven't shot a snake yet with the Governor and I'm out of Judges.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While few of us agree with mystro on the usefulness of the Judge/Governor; I think he is correct in asserting that his chosen revolver is up to the task. Out to 10 yards, the .410 buckshot appears to be adequate. For anything else, we all know the .45 Colt is more than up to the task.

If I wanted a dedicated snake gun, and I wasn't a reloader; I'd consider a Judge if I could get one cheap enough.

As a primary defensive arm, the Judge/Governor would never be my first choice (or 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th....). If it's all I had, I'd get some .45 Colt ammo and feel adequately armed. I cant think of a situation where I'd EVER choose the .410 for self defense over the .45 Colt.

So mystro, you have an adequate defensive arm, and anyone who disputes that is just barking into the wind. HOWEVER, anyone who would assert that the Judge/Governor is somehow superior or even advantageous; again, you're barking into the wind.

It is what it is. They are selling a ton of guns on the PERCEPTION that it is somehow better. It is NOT better, but it is adequate. So the people who got drawn in on the hype at least end up with an adequate handgun for self defense.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

I may be too easily influenced by gunwriter celebrities, but if Brian Pearce ever writes an article for Handloader magazine, saying that he now carries a Governor as his preferred everyday carry when working around his ranch, I'll take a greater interest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seriously, folks - this stuff has all been done. Internet thread challenges to "prove it yourself" are a meaningless deflection attempt. The reason so many are so much against the Judge/Governor as all-around defense gun concept is that it has been so thoroughly disproven. A refusal to disprove it once again proves nothing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's simple, anything that is sufficient to stop an aggressor, WILL shoot through walls...it absolutely WILL. So you just can't afford to miss if your children are on the other side of those walls.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Travis
I don't know if I read that one, but he's right. I got onto it when I noticed that .22 shot cartridges killed every bit as good as .45 ACP shot cartridges; and I just couldn't understand that. Neither one was really impressive. So I took each apart and that's when I found the difference in shot size. Then I remembered when I was a kid visiting a logging outfit and damn near everyone carried a High Standard DA .22 mag in their pocket and they all said the .22 mag shot cartridge killed snakes better than any other commercial shot cartridge. Again, #12 shot, but much more of it.

So a friend and I went halves on a set of RCBS .45 ACP dies for making shot cartridges out of .308 brass. And when loaded with #11 or #12 shot, it was the hammer of Thor on snakes; even big diamondbacks. We then used that same set of dies to make .45 Colt shot cartridges out of .303 brass, which allowed us to extend the brass out to the distance of a seated bullet, which means you can hold a LOT of shot. OMG it just blew snakes into pieces...again with #12 shot.

Since the .303 brass thing took a good deal of work, and the case mouths 9 times out of 10 would split upon firing, I decided to see if there was an easier way. So I just loaded up to the end of the case with shot. Charge powder, seat a gas check with the cup facing up down against the powder being careful not to compress the powder. Now take the round, scoop up the shot and shake off the excess, then cap with a gas check with the cup facing down, and then roll crimp the gas check in place. Be subtle on the roll crimp or it will buckle the gas check...have to fiddle a little to get it right, but it's not tough.

That load was 90% as good as the extended cartridges made from the .303 brass, and was easy-peasy to make. So I let him have the dies and I didn't bother with the extended cartridges anymore. When I need some .45 ACP shot rounds, I just call him up and have him send me a dozen.

So what I learned; most any handgun (typically revolver) cartridge can be turned into a very efficient snake killer with the above listed method. Obviously the larger you go, the more dramatic the performance. .45 Colt was very impressive, but .32 H&R was no slouch by any means. Most times one shot is all you need when you use #12 shot.

So you noticed you can't ever find #12 shot; not surprised. The only place I've found to get it is Ballistic Products: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

The last bag I bought was over 15 years ago and it tends to last decades. IIRC they come in 12lb bags, and I'd still be using mine if I didn't lose it when I moved (it's there somewhere).

#12 shot only comes in those 12lb bags, and gas checks only come in 1,000 boxes; so the initial investment is a little stiff, but you have a near lifetime supply.

K, where did you get your homemade shot shell recipes? I am interested in reloading for a few different calibers

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I could have sworn that I posted this earlier, but I don't see it where I thought it would be - so here goes.

Box o' Truth on the Judge....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

The thing about using these Box o' Truth reports is that it's the same guys using the same methods with the same materials to compare various guns and loads. I think it's better than plucking various Youtube videos from various sources using various materials and methods, to compare various loads or guns.

As a collection, the B o' T reports don't support the idea of .410 handguns for home defense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh - and someone posted that the Judge and the Governor are answers to a question never asked.....but I disagree.

The question usually has a different answer - but it has been asked (by me, even). And that is - "what is uglier than a Glock?"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FreeMe
I could have sworn that I posted this earlier, but I don't see it where I thought it would be - so here goes.

Box o' Truth on the Judge....

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

The thing about using these Box o' Truth reports is that it's the same guys using the same methods with the same materials to compare various guns and loads. I think it's better than plucking various Youtube videos from various sources using various materials and methods, to compare various loads or guns.

As a collection, the B o' T reports don't support the idea of .410 handguns for home defense.
What is continuously amazing is that there is so much resistance to this in certain circles. IMO, post your reasoning as to why .410 handguns are not good for what you think they're not good for and let folks make their own choices.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is continuously amazing is that there is so much resistance to this in certain circles. IMO, post your reasoning as to why .410 handguns are not good for what you think they're not good for and let folks make their own choices.

I posted several links with some good information. My reasoning is an accumulation of the info from those and other sources. You can read the same stuff - and if you come to a different conclusion, there is probably nothing I can say to change your mind.

It's funny that those "certain circles" you vaguely mention are full of people who are pretty accomplished and knowledgeable shooters and defense instructors. Forty years ago, I might have agreed that the body of knowledge is limited and suspect - but not now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis

K, where did you get your homemade shot shell recipes? I am interested in reloading for a few different calibers

Well we just figured it out. Figure out how much your average charge of shot will weigh (it's been years since I've made them, but I wanna say my .45 Colt loads were around 230-ish grains of shot. So then I found a load for a 230 grain bullet for the powder I intended to use. At first I loaded on the light side, but as the years wen't by, I found that the patters were actually better the faster I pushed the shot.

You have to start somewhere. So estimate how much shot you'll use. Do this by pushing a gas check down to where you think it should be. Then scoop up some shot, knock off the excess, and pour it into the scale and weigh your charge. That's your "average" shot charge. Then find a corresponding load that will work. You need to make darned sure that when you come to your powder charge, you don't compress the powder with the gas check.

As a seating die for the inside gas check, adjust your expander (bell) die so it will press the gas check down the same depth every time; there's your inside gas check seater.

Make sense?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hate agreeing with Kevin but I did think Whitworth was being a little hard on enduro's when he wrote that...

Travis
We'll keep it a secret wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I posted several links with some good information. My reasoning is an accumulation of the info from those and other sources. You can read the same stuff - and if you come to a different conclusion, there is probably nothing I can say to change your mind.

It's funny that those "certain circles" you vaguely mention are full of people who are pretty accomplished and knowledgeable shooters and defense instructors. Forty years ago, I might have agreed that the body of knowledge is limited and suspect - but not now.
Honestly, I haven't looked at the links because I read everything there was to read on this subject several years back. That is not to be disrespectful of what they're saying. I've read a bit of the box o' truth's stuff on .410's and know that particular site doesn't favor them. You can generate "evidence" to support the other side too. Also there are other experienced shooters who like the concept. I'm probably the single most experienced shooter here when it comes to this concept. Anybody who doesn't believe it can do a search or simply disbelieve it. My take on the whole thing is this:

Doesn't matter about the concept, the basic Judge (I can't speak to every single variant) isn't reliable so the concept doesn't matter. It may be the design but my opinion is that it's the execution. Whatever it is, it is unreliable.

As to the Governor, it is reliable but my experience with it isn't as great as the Judge. But now we can get to the concept. The 45 part of the equation is fine and is surprisingly more accurate than one would expect given the 410 chambers. It is fine at typical self defense ranges. The 410 side is more iffy. With specialty loads designed for 410 handguns specifically, the guns pattern adequately at self defense ranges. With standard 410 loads, the individual load must be judged on its own merit. Collectively, the standard loads are not impressive at all.

I'll take real-world results over lab ones any day. That doesn't mean I totally discount lab results, it means that I think real world ones are in the main, more representative. IIRC there are a couple of instances of self-defense on record with these guns. I'll leave that to others to check on though. If you can believe the bit about the hog's head, I've been around enough hogs to know that a hog's head is tougher and more resistant to penetration than a human's is, unless you're talking a liberal. So anything that penetrates a hog head will definitely penetrate a human skull. To me this trumps talk of velocity and chronographs, etc.

The Judge isn't a worthy choice for anything much. The Governor is fine if you like the concept.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Make sense?

Yeah, actually makes perfect sense.....never thought about weighing the shot and loading it like a bullet

Thanks

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Make sense?

Yeah, actually makes perfect sense.....never thought about weighing the shot and loading it like a bullet

Thanks
The new avatar rocks, amigo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Honestly, I haven't looked at the links because I read everything there was to read on this subject several years back. That is not to be disrespectful of what they're saying. I've read a bit of the box o' truth's stuff on .410's and know that particular site doesn't favor them. You can generate "evidence" to support the other side too. Also there are other experienced shooters who like the concept. I'm probably the single most experienced shooter here when it comes to this concept. Anybody who doesn't believe it can do a search or simply disbelieve it. My take on the whole thing is this:

Doesn't matter about the concept, the basic Judge (I can't speak to every single variant) isn't reliable so the concept doesn't matter. It may be the design but my opinion is that it's the execution. Whatever it is, it is unreliable.

As to the Governor, it is reliable but my experience with it isn't as great as the Judge. But now we can get to the concept. The 45 part of the equation is fine and is surprisingly more accurate than one would expect given the 410 chambers. It is fine at typical self defense ranges. The 410 side is more iffy. With specialty loads designed for 410 handguns specifically, the guns pattern adequately at self defense ranges. With standard 410 loads, the individual load must be judged on its own merit. Collectively, the standard loads are not impressive at all.

I'll take real-world results over lab ones any day. That doesn't mean I totally discount lab results, it means that I think real world ones are in the main, more representative. IIRC there are a couple of instances of self-defense on record with these guns. I'll leave that to others to check on though. If you can believe the bit about the hog's head, I've been around enough hogs to know that a hog's head is tougher and more resistant to penetration than a human's is, unless you're talking a liberal. So anything that penetrates a hog head will definitely penetrate a human skull. To me this trumps talk of velocity and chronographs, etc.

The Judge isn't a worthy choice for anything much. The Governor is fine if you like the concept.

Okay - I'll play...

I don't like to rely on "lab tests" either. That's why I don't put a lot of stock into gelatin penetration demonstrations - which may or may not be calibrated, btw.

I haven't killed any people with a gun, or even tried to - but I've killed a lot of animals. Done quite a bit of it with the .410. Done even more with rifles and handguns of various calibers - including .22lr.

I look at the damage done with each and compare. The .410 has what it takes to kill small animals, but not much more. It just doesn't deliver the payload that other rounds do. Sure - at arms length or a little more, it's probably going to be enough (edit: ...for home defense). But that is too limiting for such use, IMO. And for what? All of the arguments that I see for a shot pistol as home defense just don't hold up.

Conversely - you can see that most of the fighting handgun rounds and all of the rifle rounds have an excess of what it takes to kill small animals (rabbits and such) or better.

You can kill just about anything you might find in a barnyard with a shot to the head with a .22. I watch the mobile butcher do it every year. So how do head shots on pigs prove anything in regards to defense? You gonna rely on getting a head shot as your only option?

When the vast majority of knowledgeable shooters are telling you something about a gun concept, it's probably best to listen. It's not like we're discussing a nebulous thing like the beginning of the universe.

Last edited by FreeMe; 02/27/14.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, okay, bad analogy! How about this. The Governor is much like the Taurus Judge -- .410 and .45 Colt capable. It can do both, but neither well. Is that better? grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, okay, bad analogy! How about this. The Governor is much like the Taurus Judge -- .410 and .45 Colt capable. It can do both, but neither well. Is that better? grin
That makes me feel better...Now my old Kawasaki KLX650 doesn't feel slighted.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well....nope.... grin I rolled my own using several different shot sizes (only up to #9) and for this use, the #8 is better than #9 (and there isn't much size difference there)...I don't think #12 would improve it. There is a big difference between shredding a snake at 2 steps and hitting a running rat (gopher) at 5,6,7 steps in thick grass, only shooting to the side that has already been cut, the high stuff is too hard to hit in and eventually they will run out of it. The heavier shot carries better and hits harder at distance...and distance is still pretty short. It spreads as the distance increases. I've played with my powder charges and settled on 1/2 of what I use for a 158 grain load in the .357...any faster and it seems like the shot spreads more.

I agree with your premise, faster, lighter, more on target...when it's close and it's a snake. For a rat in thick grass a little further out the extra weight helps....and a .410 would put more on target.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Okay - I'll play...

I don't like to rely on "lab tests" either. That's why I don't put a lot of stock into gelatin penetration demonstrations - which may or may not be calibrated, btw.

I haven't killed any people with a gun, or even tried to - but I've killed a lot of animals. Done quite a bit of it with the .410. Done even more with rifles and handguns of various calibers - including .22lr.

I look at the damage done with each and compare. The .410 has what it takes to kill small animals, but not much more. It just doesn't deliver the payload that other rounds do. Sure - at arms length or a little more, it's probably going to be enough (edit: ...for home defense). But that is too limiting for such use, IMO. And for what? All of the arguments that I see for a shot pistol as home defense just don't hold up.

Conversely - you can see that most of the fighting handgun rounds and all of the rifle rounds have an excess of what it takes to kill small animals (rabbits and such) or better.

You can kill just about anything you might find in a barnyard with a shot to the head with a .22. I watch the mobile butcher do it every year. So how do head shots on pigs prove anything in regards to defense? You gonna rely on getting a head shot as your only option?

When the vast majority of knowledgeable shooters are telling you something about a gun concept, it's probably best to listen. It's not like we're discussing a nebulous thing like the beginning of the universe.
You make some great points a lot of which I agree with. On the head shot thing it's not so much that you're relying on a head shot as it is if you get one it has to make it through a mass of bone. Even if you have to shoot through the rib cage there are gaps and if you have multiple projectiles even if it deflects there are others that don't hit bone. But it's not likely to deflect since it made through a skull it should make it through a rib.

Another point, Gelatin usually smacks of somebody taking the time to be pretty scientific.

But lastly, people can make their own decisions. Lots of these folks are using the 410 to make up for their own lack of marksmanship or confidence in their marksmanship. I think that's a bad mistake. Pretty hard to convince some of them.

I carry the Governor a lot because I consider it useful on the farm. It will have at least the first load as a 45 Colt if people defense is the main concern. In that guise, it's the same thing as a Mountain Gun in that caliber. If I have to fire twice at a human, the specialty 410 load will do some damage too and a third shot will be 45 Colt again. My normal use is different than other's though, because again, I'm on the farm.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IMO the Governor patterns better than the Judge, but I haven't done extensive side-by-side comparisons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well....nope.... grin I rolled my own using several different shot sizes (only up to #9) and for this use, the #8 is better than #9 (and there isn't much size difference there)...I don't think #12 would improve it. There is a big difference between shredding a snake at 2 steps and hitting a running rat (gopher) at 5,6,7 steps in thick grass, only shooting to the side that has already been cut, the high stuff is too hard to hit in and eventually they will run out of it. The heavier shot carries better and hits harder at distance...and distance is still pretty short. It spreads as the distance increases. I've played with my powder charges and settled on 1/2 of what I use for a 158 grain load in the .357...any faster and it seems like the shot spreads more.

I agree with your premise, faster, lighter, more on target...when it's close and it's a snake. For a rat in thick grass a little further out the extra weight helps....and a .410 would put more on target.
With my shot loads, I never had anything buy snakes in mind.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All kidding aside, my take on the shotvolvers is that some people automatically think of shotguns as fearsome defensive weapons, so the "pocket shotgun" seems real appealing. Certainly it's been a marketing hit for Taurus; at my local range I am always surprised at how many empty .410 shells are found laying around the pistol ranges.

They do seem to excel as snake killers. Maybe so-so for small pests like rodents. And probably not satisfactory as defensive revolvers - other than a bad guy who sees it may flee in terror smirk

Snake killing is a nice to have, but not essential feature. You can always just load a shot cartridge in a .357 or .44 revolver, and at ten feet, you're at a safe distance, and the snake is hamburger. A normal DA revolver I suspect will be a lot easier to fire fast, without that humongous cylinder turning, if the snake brings a gun of his own.

I have a few .45 ACP shot cartridges. One of these days I need to see if they can cycle the action satisfactorily. Maybe have the shot cartridge in the chamber, and a mag full of conventional ammo. That too might be a versatile setup.

There are so many of the Judges and Guvners sold that surely they've been used defensively in a few cases, so it would be interesting to learn if they actually do stop bad guys effectively. I hope they do for the sake of their owners, but I still don't particularly want one smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Make sense?

Thanks
The new avatar rocks, amigo.

Thanks! I kinda like it too grin

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I learned all I need to know regarding the usefulness of the concept with a 10" Contender barrel.

Would probably work pretty decent for JCCUBIC's running rat scenario, depending on the range.

Other than that, they suck. Nothing kills a snake more better than a bunch of lead shot. But at the same time, every snake I've shot died pretty [bleep]' dead from a single bullet.

Travis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I learned all I need to know regarding the usefulness of the concept with a 10" Contender barrel.

Would probably work pretty decent for JCCUBIC's running rat scenario, depending on the range.

Other than that, they suck. Nothing kills a snake more better than a bunch of lead shot. But at the same time, every snake I've shot died pretty [bleep]' dead from a single bullet.

Travis
I couldn't shoot a snake due to its location last year, so I speared it. I've got a big Harbor Freight survival knife. It ain't no Randall, but is of surprising quality for like $8. I unscrewed the cap on the handle, stuck it in a broomstick and quickly duct-taped it in place, then stabbed the offending serpent.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It would go great with a Governor. Kindly remove that Smith from the photograph. It deserves better.

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It would go great with a Governor. Kindly remove that Smith from the photograph. It deserves better.

Travis

Governor is a Smith so show some respect

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Travis

Governor is a Smith so show some respect

Ummm... No. It is a copy of a Tore-Ass and an embarrassment to both the company, and its loyal fans.

What's next? The RAGING 29 etched on the left side of the barrel?

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
HAHAHAHA

RAGING LADYSMITH

-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah the knife is funny but it's also useful. YouTube videos say so. smirk

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

You like this one better?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HAHAHAHA

RAGING LADYSMITH

Raging Lemonsqueezer.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You like this one better?

I like that the beauty of the Smith is blocking the Carbon V peasant steel.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Travis - you remind me that although I have carried shot loads in handguns from time to time, the only snakes I've killed recently were with a .22 bullet to the head. That's not bragging. Our snakes are slow, and I let 'em be if they aren't pretty close.

Ethan - lots of people think they're being scientific, but aren't. But your farm use makes some sense.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like slow snakes!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I like dead snakes (if they're poisonous).

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Travis - you remind me that although I have carried shot loads in handguns from time to time, the only snakes I've killed recently were with a .22 bullet to the head. That's not bragging. Our snakes are slow, and I let 'em be if they aren't pretty close.

Ethan - lots of people think they're being scientific, but aren't. But your farm use makes some sense.

Yep. They die same as anything else when a bullet hits the brain.

The ones in Texas were slow (not surprising) but the ones up here are fast and aggressive little [bleep]. Probably because they only have a 45 day window to get some chow. grin

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis
I have EE on ignore because he's a racist. But your comment made me take a look at his post, and your comment is just OH SO RIGHT.

Further confirmation of EE's douche-nozzle status.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

You shouldn't say mean things about people.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
HAHAHAHA

RAGING LADYSMITH

Cerakoted in Blood Red

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
I have EE on ignore because he's a racist. But your comment made me take a look at his post, and your comment is just OH SO RIGHT.

Everything was kosher until my Mountain Cur, would no longer go after Fox or Grey Squirrels. Once she saw one of those Black Squirrels it was all over. I'd always heard the term, "once you go black you never go back" and now that's all she'll hunt so...

I'm glad that you put me on Ignore rather than getting all pissy and leaving never to return again because I'd miss all your salient commentary.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 02/28/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Travis
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Travis
Not to negros.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Travis
Not to negros.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

-Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.