The gullible public, brainwashed for generations by Disney animal characters, talking and acting human, identify wildlife in that light. Cecil was people more than lion, a wicked hunter killing him was nothing less than cold blooded murder.

They have no concept of range capacity, population dynamics and true wildlife conservation.

Evidently this dentist has some compulsion for pushing the envelope. I say that because it's reported he had other game hunting issues.

Seems he was promised the hunt he was seeking and went with these guys, who took steps to produce a trophy without regard for rules and regs. A compulsive type will cut corners and seek those who think like he does.

The dentist may be an innocent victim, but I doubt it. He went with those who would produce what he wanted, no questions asked. But, I don't want to judge the doctor, just guessing until we know more.

I have a good friend who is a compulsive hunter (also a doctor), who went to Africa to kill an elephant with a spear. He had a special spear made, a take down type that would deliver curare. He wounded an elephant and the PH had to finish the animal with a .470 NE.

This guy got into a Lacy Act Federal prosecution because there is no spear season for elephants. The PH got in big trouble with his local government, seems he was fined and lost his license. My friend professionally videoed the hunt, his CD becoming prime evidence in Fed Court. His defense that the .470 NE actually killed the animal didn't hold water. He got zapped, lost his U.S. hunting license for 3 yrs. and paid a hefty fine plus big legal bills.

I see similarities between these two.

DF