Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by ironbender
When the filter is loaded?

Ding ding... when it is super loaded. Ideally it should have a restriction gauge or filter minder telling you its at 25 in h20 restriction.

Most cars dont have them, but I assume military vehicles do. Off road equipment normally does.

I was hoping the military trained guy would tell us how the army does it and how he does it.

Changing air filters too early or too often lets more dust in the engine than running them really really dirty.

I try to change the one on my diesel before the turbo collapses the intake. But sometimes I wait until after.

Is the theory that changing the air filter too often exposes the clean side to accumulated dust in the airbox/housing? Or does a new filter not filter as well as one that is "seasoned"?

Both. A new air filter has to load a little bit to get its best efficiency. The dust actually holds dust to itself better.

I would avoid the air intake hose collapse if you can. They should be designed for 35 in h20 or more and you start to flex fatigue the hose and risk dusting eventually. Air filters I spec usually have 100 in-h20 collapse so the hose will go before the filter.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?