Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
25 horse power on the dynamometer ain't worth schit to engine longevity. It means more dirt and dust can get past your filter until it loads up to peak efficiency.

Your usual advise and knowledge is worth about as much as Shefires.

Ding ding ding...
Those oil filters you self clean are only about 90% efficient and pass a lot of dirt compared to a 99.99 % efficient cellulose element.

They don't become efficient until they are loaded.

Its amazing 25 HP shows up for a little restriction... which means people are running them well past the engine restriction limits.

There's been a lot of stuff written about this and several tests. The filtration difference between GM/OEM diesel filters and wet (cotton) filters is nowhere near 10%. It's anywhere from 1/3 of 1% to 3/4 of 1% depending on which one. Tests I've read, most are over 99% efficient at catching grit except for a couple......worst being K&N.

The oil in wet filters is what catches particles. They do NOT gain efficiency by being loaded. They're not like those original foam K&N's from 50yrs. ago.

Dry filters, wet filters.........I like the re-usability of wet filters. Mine are AFE and S&B.

I was surprised also. A couple pulls around 690.....the filter looked ok but it was taken off and cleaned anyway......next pull was 717. A modified engine, but It's about air volume. It's quite a bit more now but even a stock diesel engine will feel if the air filter is really dirty. Same with a fuel filter.