Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Do the German and non-German Wusthoffs use the same steel?
Probably not but German knife steel is almost universally pretty cheap shyt 440A or comparable. There are a few exceptions, like the higher grade Linder hunting knives that use 440C and ATS34 but they are few and I don't think any of the kitchen cutlery is anything but relatively soft, inexpensive steel. Look, 440A simply has it's metallurgical, edge holding limits and they are not high, even with the best heat treating and blade grind geometry. That's a fact that CANNOT be changed no matter how good Cutco's marketing hype may be. I have examined the Cutco knives in person and they are WAY overpriced for what they are.

It sounds like you know quite a bit more about knives than I do. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I do know that there can be appreciable variation in quality within the same grade of stainless. For example, 316 stainless is generally regarded as top quality for marine stainless fasteners. All 316 isn't created equal though. I have used 316 in some mounting applications and it rusted fairly readily. I have had 316 from other sources that was perfect. Boat manufacturers do NOT want their stainless to rust, yet it happens every now and then that they get a batch that does. A batch of the same grade that came before it that didn't rust.

I have read none of Cutcos marketing hype. Prior to you mentioning the grade, I didn't know what grade they were. If they are the same grade as my Dexters, they appear to be better within grade steel. As far as holding an edge goes that is. They also use a type of serration that I had never seen before, and that may have something to do with how well they cut and hold an edge. There's more to quality than holding an edge. Strength, corrosion resistance, ease of sharpening, warranty, and support come to mind.

You have examined them and think they are overpriced. You have 3 people here who own and use them who appreciate their value. It seems the greatest critics of Cutco are those who don't own them and the greatest supporters are those who do own them. Anyone who is considering Cutco should take that into account.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 08/21/15.