Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
I am a hobby maker who sells once in a while, been doing it for a few years now. It takes me at least 8 hours to complete a knife, some makers I'm sure do it much faster but I don't. There is zero chance I'm going to work 8 hours to settle an internet disagreement and send you a knife at cost. If you like your knife so much that is fine by me, and maybe you did get through the moose, I really might be wrong and I'm fine with that. But I know it would have been an S.O.B at the end because that knife had to be pretty dull. Listen to a few other people on here who have tried those knives( like myself) and then used other knives with better cutlery steel and have seen there is a significant difference in edge retention. That is the beauty of internet forums, you can learn from a lot of people who have more experience in fields that you may not in a very short amount of time. Alot of what I learned on becoming a maker I pulled off this forum from guys who have been doing it along time. Not ONE of them would spend time making a custom out of 440A, and there is a reason for that. You should ask yourself why guys who make a living based upon a knife's performance won't use that steel. Its not because Cutco knows something they don't.

MM

Cutco delivers a great product and a great service and the indisputable truth is that most people who actually use them are very happy with them. I think you were the only one on this thread who said you had tried one and didn't like it. Cutco makes a living based upon their knives performance and they use 440A. They know that it delivers a blend of edge retention, ease of sharpening, durability and strength that keeps their customers happy, keeps them coming back and keeps them recommending the product to their family, friends an folks on the internet. They seem to have struck a great balance point between price and quality. It's hard to look at their track record and tell them that they are doing it wrong.

My step son and his team set an all time Cutco record for summer sales! That's a lot of happy customers.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 09/14/15.