Couple of tips from today and in general from shooting these kind of things....

-If you use magnification, anything over 3x is really going to slow you down at any of these ranges. It's counter-intuitive because you'd think you can hit better when you can see better. And you can probably shoot a tighter group, but you'll be slower. Every time a shooter is going too slow on 100 yard steel I suggest that they turn their magnification down and they get faster.

It's because your brain starts waiting for the perfect shot on the target that you see a lot of, rather than taking a good enough shot on the target that you can see some of.

-Trigger control is crucial at 50 yards. You've gotta really focus on breaking the shot cleanly or you'll miss. At the other ranges you can get away with some slapping, but not at 50.

Dry firing will help this tremendously. A great drill that I do is 5 rounds of dry fire for every live round, then five sets of that at a time.

-Set your timer up with plenty of delay. I couldn't adjust the start delay on the timer I used today and 3 seconds just wasn't enough time for me. I got quick-beeped a few times and it slowed me down.

After I was done I shot some more at 7 yards and got my one-shot times very consistently to 1.2s and my fastest run was 1.05. Under 1 second is very doable with practice.

I'm gonna guess that 15 seconds at 50 yards, 6.5 seconds at 25 yards, and 3.5 / 5.5 seconds at 7 yards will be pretty tough to beat.

Just a rough guess, but anything at 8ish seconds will be hard to beat at 100 yards.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling