Originally Posted by DocRocket
Joel, I confess I made a conscious decision prior to leaving for Zim to chronicle my experiences on a daily basis. I took my laptop and spent a lot of time tapping at the keyboard every day, trying to preserve the experience while it was still fresh in my mind. And I also had a notepad with me every day, so I could jot down random thoughts as they occurred to me during the hunt.

It helps to have a camera on you at all times, and to remember to take photos of everything.

As I said earlier, my only real regret is that I didn't spring for a videographer. I hadn't realized just how much detail I COULD have had footage of, stuff that you never would imagine happening. If there'd been video footage of the big elephant standoff, or the rhino charge at the end of that buffalo stalk, what a thing that would have been!!! Not to mention the events immediately after I shot my buffalo... John and Isaac were shouting and laughing in amazement when the second buff gored and tossed my bull, because it's such a rare event that neither of them has ever seen it! If I could have had that on video, it would have been amazing.

Note to all other prospective hunters: hire the videographer. You'll regret it if you don't.

I offered Doc grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books