Originally Posted by DocRocket
Yeah, JB, I was more than a bit surprised by that myself. "Kudu fever"... I'll have to remember that term!

It's funny how some beasts just grab your imagination. For me, buffalo and eland have always been in that class, and seeing them and hunting them in their element was exactly as I'd expected it to be, only better. Kudu fever was a real surprise to me, and nothing else really grabbed me like kudu did, except for, well, lion.

I had no desire whatever to hunt lion before I went on this trip. Now, after seeing big male lions up close in the bush, and hearing them roar as I drift off to sleep at night, I'm wondering how/when/if I'll ever be able to afford to hunt them.

Doc,

Isn't that a dilemma? I hunted Zambia in 2000 for a cat, and my PH and good friend had leopard but allotted the lions in his concession before I booked. No problem, I'll get that the next time, in a few years. Well, it didn't work out that way. Had another kid, Zambia closed and opened and closed and opened concessions and now the cost of lions reserves them for Oil sheiks and dotcom money. Maybe old European money can still grab one, but the rest of us have a problem. Lock stock and lion, such a safari in Tanzania now will set you back at least $75,000. Therefore, no lions in my future.

I'm satisfied listening to them roar at night a few hundred yards from camp, and having them stalk the same buffalo I'm stalking (story for another day).

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo