If you do find an older mentor,jump in there and do twice as much work as you think you should around camp. I have tried for a few times getting younger blood in camp,butI find I end up still doing a lot of the work.
I have shown a few my honey holes and they always see elk.I only give them away after I have quit hunting them.Mostly because I don't want to work that hard to kill an elk.
If you really want to kill and elk and a nice one,I can put you into a spot, but it is pretty rough and getting a nn elk out of there after it is down is hell. A local outfitter will bring it out for you,but the cost is $400. That is the going rate toady.

OR hunt 3rd season migration in Unit 12. Near Isle Grove. That is on CO ST HWY 13 between Craig and Meeker.Locals usually line up along the road and kill them there. Migration is hit or miss though. Coyote Hunter on here does good though in that general local.

My confession is that every year as I age, I forget more and more elk hunting techniques. However I don't know if it is blind luck or really, really, stupid elk becasue at least one walks out in front of me every year. Last year I shot two. One on opening day in ML season which was a "B" tag and one on opening day in 2nd rifle season. This year, one the first day I hunted in 2nd rifle. I'm convinced though they are really stupid ones that I kill.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/10/15.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles