Originally Posted by saddlesore
Sometimes it is best to put the safety back on and walk away

Amen. Sometimes having had the opportunity is more than enough reward. There have been a number of hunts where I went home empty-handed, choosing good memories over ruining an otherwise perfectly good hunt with a lot of hard work. Biggest bull I've ever had a shot at got walking papers at last light on the last day. No regrets.

On the other hand, taking three elk - two cows and a 6x6 bull - three miles from the truck and taking four days to get all the meat out (head and straps and tenders on day one, half an elk apiece for each of us for the next three days) damn near killed my hunting buddy and me. Thank goodness the weather kept the meat good but I sure wouldn't do it again.

2nd season I took Daughter #1 on her first elk hunt. Much as I wanted to help her fill her cow tag, she had the good sense to know when we were getting too far in. We only had 2 days to hunt and complete the pack-out (and I would have had to do most of it) as she was due to head overseas for Uncle Sam when we got back. Her good sense was much appreciated.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 11/12/15.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.