Elk are really habitual and remind me more of whitetails but they can cover ground like no other. They are fairly easy to kill once you figure them out though. I've kill about a dozen elk within a 1/2 mile radius. When the pressure is on you need to find big chunks of ground with no roads. We killed 3 bulls this year out of a bunch of 50 elk 4 miles from a road. The good thing was the pack was all down hill but it took 3 days, with the day we shot them, to pack them all out. I also killed a cow earlier in the year along farm fields. Here in Idaho we can use a general tag, buy non-resident tags, and draw for a extra tag. So we can shoot up to 3 elk without drawing a nearly impossible super tag. When I first started elk hunting it took me a few years to figure them out but after that I've only had one year that I've been skunked. I had another year I chose not to shoot one because I killed a moose earlier in the year and had my freezer more than full. Once you find their safe zones or favorite spots there will be numerous elk there every year. Study maps, talk to biologist or anyone else that can help with info, and scout as much as possible. Pay attention to the terrain and elevation (as long as they aren't migrating) where you find sign. That will help you use Google earth or maps to find other potential areas that could hold elk.