Every year between me and my son we strive to take one of Wisconsins 1 1/2 year old bucks. Those bucks have no fat on them to mention and the meat in the hind quarters is a reddish pink at times and an eating delicacy to me.

For the most part we don't shoot any does as we feel that the neighbors shoot way to many with all the extra tags they buy each year. This controls the herd in our little neck of the woods. Not against shooting does, it just is the way it has unfolded in our neighborhood.

Liking to try new to me bullets, this year I shot a 5 point with a 160 grain Hornady Flex-Tip out of a 30-30 H&R single that wears a Cabelas 30-30 lever action scope. The bullet provided a DRT and I couldn't have been more pleased. Last years deer came on a 170 grain Sierra FN out of a Topper that was scoped with a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope with circle X reticle. Wish I could sometimes spend more but when you have a champagne appetite with a beer income, choices have to be made.

The biggest thrill I get in my 48th year of hunting is being with my 40 year old son, 12 year old grandson, and a nephew here on family land that has been in our family since around 1885.

In the morning my grandson and I are heading to the woods in the stand made for two. Snacks and drinks in tow and a thermos full of coffee for me. Hunting is Life the rest is just details.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.