My Father planted the hunting bug in me. He even checked me out of school a few times in the first and second grade to go dove hunting and we have an old home movie skinning squirrels after the first time he took me squirrel hunting at my uncle's farm.

When my Uncle took a shot at a squirrel from the opposite side of the tree, and the spent shot start falling around me and my Father, I said, "Daddy, it's starting to rain"! smile

Later on, I trudged along after him with my Winchester 67-A Boy's Rifle .22 (unloaded of course) when we'd go quail hunting. Every now and then he'd let me shoot at some bird or something. One offhand shot at a blackbird about 75 yards away was one of the more memorable ones. I even took it to school for "show and tell" the following Monday and no one got upset! shocked

I think I got the "gun bug" from an uncle on my Mother's side who had a "lot" of guns... a Model 70 Featherweight .243, a Remington 725 in .280 and a Winchester (43?) in .22 Hornet and a .410 S x S.

Why do I hunt...I don't know. It's just what I do...

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.