Originally Posted by MikeL2
Hard to beat an iron sighted 30/30 for a walking rifle in the woods. Mine is a 1923 vintage savage 99 featherweight takedown, redfield receiver sight. Light, accurate, very easy to carry in hand all day with that flat-sided round bottom profile and no scope in the way. Sure, I hunt with a scoped .308 bolt action too, have taken deer with both (and other rifles), but most deer taken with the .308 would have been just as dead with my 30/30. Not all, my buck this year would have been a tough shot with open sights, but hey, that's why I have more than one rifle!! And it's the sights that would have been the issue not the cartridge.
And I'm old-school enough that I think newbies aught to learn to HUNT with a rifle with a moderate cartridge and iron sights before moving on to shooting with scoped 300 yd plus rifles.
Just my opinion, of course, but I'd start a new hunter of any age out on a 30/30 before any cartridge starting with a 2.

I wouldn't. Recoil from a .30-30, especially something like a 94, can be an issue for a small-framed kid. A .243, or a .223 where legal, gets around those problems quite well. Hell, on an AR platform with an adjustable stock the 5.56, 6x45, or 6.5Grendel make HUGE sense as a starter rifle for a kid, especially over a .30-30 lever gun.

JMHO, of course.

I like the .30-30, quite a bit, but there are things that is and things that it ain't, and some things are done better by other cartridges.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.