Originally Posted by pete53
I know how to unload a Winchester 30-30 very well what I am saying is for a lot of people, these people young and old do have trouble with these levers with no safety ! its a safety issue us as hunters,reloaders,gun collecters and just people who like to shoot need to help make things safer, so we as gun people don`t cause any more harm to owning guns and when someone criticizes some of us for bringing these things to attention with a post you are the problem with negative comments. VERY FOOLISH !

pete, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I certainly don't mean for it to be spiteful or belittling. The contention that the safety (crossbolt or otherwise) on a lever action rifle is superfluous, is correct, in my opinion.

As you know, the only thing required for unloading a lever action, Is the manipulation of the lever, WITHOUT pulling the trigger.

Those who have trouble with the manual of arms, would be well served to seek out training or instruction that would give them the skills and confidence they need to operate the firearm, as intended by the original manufacturer.

The incorporation of additional safety devices are seen by some as further encroachment by a government that is overly protective of its' citizens.

In short, reliance on a mechanical safety rather than proper training and instruction, along with safe gun handling skills, is a manifestation of the "dumbing down" of America. It is akin to a warning label on a cup of coffee telling me that the contents of the cup may be extremely hot. Or, more closely, it reminds me of the ridiculous gimmicky nozzles on simple plastic gas cans that have been mandated by the government.

Tired of it. A great many Americans are tired of it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis