I like it as well but will use a 260, 270... first. I had a Savage 340 in 30-30 that I shot a buck with right behind the front right shoulder but the bullet must of clipped a bone somewhere. The bullet went in and then made a left hand turn at Albuquerque and went straight down the middle before coming out the bottom of the deer near the stomach. Did not hit the stomach but it did clip the heart and of course one lung. I shot it in a field and the buck took off into the woods and of course it was a half hour before dark. So, I went in after the buck and heard him get up and run so I backed out until the next day.

The next day I went in after him and found a large blood spot marking where the deer laid down before I pushed him. I then followed the trail out to another field owned by a huge insurance company and there laid my buck about a hundred yards from the tree line. Unfortunately, for me a dog or a coyote got part of one of the hams during the night.

My one unfortunate incident is just that, unfortunate. My brother in law and nephew have killed many deer with the 30-30 with one shot and the deer was DRT!

NRA Lifetime Endowment Member