I have a Marlin 1893 in .30-30, which I inherited. It has always done the job and has killed quite a lot of critters in the roughly 115 years since it was made. AFAIK animals haven't become any harder to kill. It isn't my only rifle, and that, and deference to its age means it doesn't go out with me all that often, but for the general run of deer or pig hunting, at the ranges I usually shoot them from, it is still perfectly capable.

It still shoots accurately too - five shots into under an inch and a half at a hundred yards, and sometimes a little better - aided by a decent peep sight and a 26" barrel.

FWIW on the safety while unloading thing, it is worth noting that as far back as 1893 Marlin had that sorted: the way the firing pin is designed the hammer can't drive the firing pin into a primer unless the cartridge is fully chambered and the action locked. All you have to do is work the action without completely closing it, and in very short order you have an empty rifle and a handful of cartridges. Of course, you'll always have it pointed in a safe direction too, but that's the case with any firearm. If you can't manage that, you really shouldn't be trusted with a rifle at all.