I own a brand new Winchester 94 30-30 in the Sporter version 24 inch barrel. Before I bought it I tried my friend's that was the new rifle same as bought. He had a scope on it? I only fired it on my range but it was very accurate out to 200 yards. I still have not fired the one I did buy myself as found myself able to finally get a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in .243 and to make the purchase easier I might trade the new 30-30 in. I regret it might come to that. My son who really knows rifles was impressed with this new 94 30-30 and both of us think it would not only be an ideal woods rifle but if I chose to scope it it could be used to over 200 yards I am sure. However I bought it to,use with iron sights and I already know it is a keeper used that way. The workmanship on the Miroku 94 30-30 is superb!

As a cartridge with a history, the 30-30 is a superb addition to a rifle collection. I own many western movies and as a cowboy for,years, and still own a ranch with my brother, I should keep the 30-30! Besides I will take a $400 loss on the new unfired 94. But just owning it and having some nice photos of me holding it in splendid autumn settings was worth the investment. If one considers himself a collector, it is I think a must!
Apparently my farming and ranching career did not bring in such a windfall of dollars to keep a rifle although there are bolt actions and even a 94 Winchester .22 LR from 1973 that I will keep in this lifetime.

This Winchester Model 70 .243 Featherweight Compact may well be the last new rifle I buy. Unless I get some farm income and then I'd be inclined to get a 94 30-30! Guess that says I rate the 30-30 as a marvelous round.
It has done very well for many years. I also am positive that the 30-30 could kill about anything on Planet Earth with a properly placed shot!
One of the most ardent hunters and owners, even down to having a FFL,
Used the 30-06 as his only deer rifle! He also killed very few deer in his life.
I could shoot deer just about any day I am out working. I have seen deer killed pretty quickly with .22 LR. But if I were to chose a deer cartridge, .243, 257 Roberts, or 30-30 would seem about right.