I was likely one of the most outspoken PH's against the Barnes X bullet for the first decade or so they were made. I never experienced more bizarre and horrible performance in all other bullets types combined!

When the TSX was introduced I had hunters use them with 100% perfect results. It left me wondering if they finally had the metallurgy correct, the bands cut into the base to ride the rifling, and possibly the way the tip was made to increase the way they open.

I had the fortunate opportunity to visit the Barnes plant in Utah and met with the folks there. They had me take a few boxes to load and try on the African game to see for myself. I did this in 30/06, 458 ( for my Lott) and 375HH

Accuracy was perfection, even out to very long 500 yard shots with the 30/06! 5"-6" groups were normal! Barrel fouling was absent, what a huge improvement compared to the effort to clean a barrel after the original X bullets I had used in the past.

Performance on game for me that next season was 100% flawless. This was for many dozens of animals of my own and likely another 50-100 for my hunters that used the TSX bullets.

About this point in my career I have gone from the worst marketing nightmare Barnes could have had, to a 100% converted fan of the TSX product. There was a very important element that came about with this migration. Lighter then normal bullets for the cartridge size driven as fast as possible provided a much better level of performance. Especially with the visual impact of the bullet on big game.

We all know, or should know that the heavier the object the harder it is to slow down. With this, it seems contradictory that I would suggest a lighter projectile. Here is the interesting part of this. With a cup and core bullet, you need to start out with a reasonable weight. As we know those bullets will shed weight at the moment of impact and typically fail to 50% of the starting weight. In some cases much less then that if bones are struck. As the bullet begins coming apart it's mass diminishes and it's penetration begins to slow to a crawl. Sure there are fragments that may cause additional internal damage but they will not provide the bone crunching immobilizing power that is needed to anchor a big animal. Those secondary fragments will often be absolutely lethal over some time period. Where a solid mass has the immobilizing effect instantly with broken bones

So shooting a 180 grain bullet at say 3100fps from a magnum cartridge would have significant "additional velocity" above the design threshold of the .308 diameter bullets originally designed velocity window. It's high velocity impacts will really shatter the integrity of the bullet and cause it to crumble and go to pieces at a far higher rate then the same bullet from say a .308 winchester at 2600fps. Since all .308 diameter cup and core bullets are designed with a velocity window that suits the majority of cartridges used, the 300 Magnums are at the highest end of the velocity design spectrum. What this means is that a 300 magnum needs the toughest bullets made to allow them to stay together long enough to drill through the chest of a big game animal and stay together.

When the TSX came on the scene, They gave the handloader the benefit of stepping down one weight in bullet, and driving them as fast as possible. What this did in most cases was increase the lethal power of standard cartridges into the light magnum category. Take the 270/7mm mag, the 30/06-300 mag as an example. The 7mm mag with a cup and core bullet hitting an animal at 100 yards would in most cases cause that cup and core bullet to explode into countless small bits scattered throughout the body. I've witnessed this more times then I can count. Large diameter wounds that are usually shallow and with brutal visual effect!

Same with the 30/06 and the 300 mag. The 300 mag has astonishing killing power. However it also had the reputation of frequent bullet " failure". Meaning it was very hard to keep bullets intact at close range. I've recovered well over 100's of pieces of copper jacket in lots of big game animals with no piece of lead big enough to pick up. Just lead shrapnel inside the skin and meat.

Enter the 165TSX bullet that is going 2900+fps VS the 180 grain cup and core bullet from the 300 mag going about 3100fps. Here we have only a 200fps difference between the two projectiles. Yet after impact you have the 180 grain cup and core bullet disintegrating and the 165 grain TSX bullet staying fully intact. After personally witnessing hundreds of animals shot with both of these, the 165grain deep penetration and bone breaking power easily trumps the fragmented cup and core projectile of the 300 magnum.

Even when you lose the folded back petals of a TSX bullet, the shank alone continues to drive straight through and bash it's way across and out the exit side. Sometimes all we find is a copper petal or two of the TSX bullet, but there is an exit hole. That is not something you will typically find with a cup and core bullet. Once they begin to disintegrate they don't often have enough remaining mass to exit.

It's easy to imagine then what the power capability is of a 300 mag with a 180 grain TSX bullet driven to max velocity would be! I've seen them use the 165's with spectacular results as well. Now shooting that bullet to 3250-3300fps with near full weight retention is another level of power you have to see to get the full understanding of.

As far as the TTSX is concerned. I'm of the opinion that that little plastic tip is a comforting visual effect. For those nervous about the rumors of old that the Barnes X bullets don't open up all the time. I've never recovered a TSX that was not opened, sure the majority don't stay inside, I agree and understand that. However of those that exit, the damage path and the occasional copper petal show that even those that exited opened up and created a significant trauma path through the body.

I find no flaw whatsoever in the TTSX, I however continue to use the TSX with 100% confidence in them .

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)