Originally Posted by BWalker
I have never gotten good blood trails with the 100gr 25 caliber TSX or the 180gr 30 caliber TTSX. Exits are very small.
Last season I actually shot a very large cow elk with a 300 ultra at close range with good shot placement. The cow reacted to the shot, so I knew she was hit, but proceed to run 70 yards with no blood trail at all. There where a few specs on the snow where she stood when shot, but that's about it. If that had been a Nosler 180gr BT, which I have used alot in the same rifle I do believe it would have either been a bang flop,or in the least some significant blood on the ground.

Exactly my point. Shrapnel causes body trauma. Look gentlemen, all the bullets we have discussed here, kills.

My argument is not that one kills an animal faster than another one, or whether one will make the animal go straight down as compared to being able to penetrate it from the chest through the back legs. That is not my point.
I've grown up, so won't try and change your mind about what works for you, or denounce another bullet. If a guy comes down here with TSX/TTSX, great. I think they are excellent bullets. Maybe the best.
All I'm saying is, that lead core bullets create more body trauma than an expanding solid. I shoot both sets of bullets. Lead core bullets and expanding solids. They each have their place.

When tissue get's destroyed, it sends signals to the brain to tell it, that something is broken, which either creates shock for the animal, or the animal stops to limit the damage. This is just nature doing what it does best in trying to survive.
My dogs will take care of the rest.

Last edited by KMGHuntingSafaris; 02/25/16.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]