Hello All,

I want to thank you all for your reply and kind words about my post and my rifle. I really appreciate your comments.

A few of you had questions and I will try to answer each in reverse order as asked.

* The rifle was purchased from Lewis Drake & Assoc. as found in an ad from their web page.

* The modern Powder I use for most of my vintage double rifles is AA5744. It ignites well and similates the pressures and velocities of the day. It is also very accurate. If you email AA, they will answer questions about unpublished loading data for cartridges not found in their manual.

* I'm sure the finish of the rifle has been redone at some point in time in its long history of use since being made over 148 years ago in 1868. It was likely re-done by Alex Henry in 1901 when it was rebarreled, and perhaps subsequent to that. It was common practice "in the day" to have barrels re-blackened after each hunting adventure, as well as repaired and reconditiond as needed to be ready for the next outing.

I will continue to search for the history of the original purchaser "James Robertson, esq." from 1868. Wouldn't it be grand to find details about his hunting adventures with it as well.

Continued comments are most welcome.

You never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early.