Buck:
As to the history, follow my suggestions for the Military museum, Scotland Yard, and the Mormon Church to get info on the original owner. Between the three, you should find something on Robertson. The local Mormon church either has, or can direct you to another office that has, a huge computer base of their records. I would bet they have Robertson's name listed and his family. It would take some time as you would have to approximate his age and his location would be the UK--all guess work for 1868 when he bought the rifle. Begin looking in Scotland first, then down in England.

I do remember we spoke of the rifle when you were thinking of buying it but I don't know how you got my email or phone. We discussed the fantastic history of the rifle, some of the caliber, and the non matching hammers, pitted bores (mentioned in my article), restock and poor inletting at the top strap and Deeley latch, refinish, and being muzzle heavy. (I thought all UK rifles were balanced well but I just picked up a .577-500 no2 bpe with very heavy barrels that also balances far ahead of the hinge pin--although it balances just right with the shotgun barrels). Notice the position of the front sling eye in the photo of McNeill and where it is now. If memory serves, it is slightly different in its location.

As to the off face, I'm lost on this one. It was fine when I had it and shot it for targets. I know it went through three dealers and at least one owner who shot it. I don't have any knowledge of it going anywhere else, but it was out of my hands after I deposited it to the dealer in Anchorage. Later, I did speak with the owner in Georgia about reloading for it.

Anyway, look up Robertson and let us know if you find anything. I didn't bother to do this as McNeill owned the rifle as it is. Since it was no longer a 12-bore, I guess my interest was not stimulated to look further.
Cal

Last edited by Cal_Pappas; 03/01/16.