Czech, very well put.

Thats mostly the same as watching smoke go too! Thats where I started to learn a bit more, watching water and smoke years ago.

Tells you a lot.

Wide open country, and steady winds, no brainer... dial and shoot.

Start adding canyons, lips, edges etc and unless I can see leaves and grass moving around, the bet is probably off IE I wont' shoot.

I have no issues to 600 with "featureless" areas and steady wind. I"d prefer 25 mph steady, rather than the winds that go from side to side at 12 mph falling to 5mph in an instant and back up again...

I will NOT EVER shoot on a falling wind. Its too hard for me to sense the falling part. I will shoot on a rising or steady wind though, my body can sense the increases much better than the decreases. Thats just me.

The question has no fixed answer. I've said it before, I've refused 200 yard shots because the wind blew my position around to much to be reliably accurate, disregarding the wind factor.

And I've taken shots just past 800, and almost had a good one at 920ish I think, but the game walked off after a verification toss at a rock about 200 feet to the side of the game...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....