Originally Posted by BobinNH
I've had my own dose of wind snafu's out west.....played with it intentionally ( on rocks not animals) to see the effects.Shoot through it at the range, etc etc.

Mostly saw it back in the days when I was a lot more innocent about it than later on.

I've passed shots I considered to be "risky" in the wind....but also made one of my longest ever after "doping", which was really a well educated guess. smile

I wonder sometimes,lets say at 400-700 yards, how much correction do people find acceptable on an unwounded bull elk at 400 + yards?

How much full value wind will make you take a pass on the shot?

I ask because the subject seems to get a lot of press on here.

Thanks. smile

For me, it's not so much how much wind, but how gusty it is. And that is assuming I have the opportunity to get a good read on it. If I don't have the opportunity to get out the kestrel, my distance is going to be much shorter.

In general, I won't shoot at an animal at a distance greater than I can reliably make first round hits on an 8" steel plate on my own range. Most of the time that seems to work out to be something less than 600 yards. I don't know what it is about 600 yards, but that is the distance for me where things seem to switch from being relatively easy to pretty dang difficult...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14