Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Bob,

I had a similar situation about ten years ago. 550 yards nice bull across a deep ravine. Wind blowing like hell. I saw a nice round rock about a 100 yards to the right of the Bull and held right on it. I hit about 4 feet to the right went back to the elk held off and fired. He fell over right there and stayed down. 2 1/2 hours later I got to the elk. Broke his neck. If that shot had been 4 or 5 inches either way would have lost him.
Pretty reckless and lucky, and I more than likely won't do it again but it worked pretty good that time.
Oh the rifle was a .300 Ultra with a 200 gr. SBT.

Lefty

The problem there is in another thread..how do you know you were 4 feet off on the sighter? Thats a guess and guessing a 4 foot hold on the animal is a guess.

Its why I made a statement that i assume some posters had a negative take on... I prefer my spotter to refer to something thats at the target, so I can take note of that and use it for my hold off.

Really if the spotter had a mil... in the scope, and i had mil... it would be gravy.

Beyond that I'll take it hit 2 rocks left rather than looked like 12 inches left every time... I can coorelate the 2 rocks in my scope at a glance and transfer it to the animal.

It worked on a caribou sort of... except my spotter knew the tuft of hair i was holding on, and thought he saw the round go in just under the chest hair. So I mentioned a tuft up higher in line with his spine, we agreed and sent it, and it hit his spine. Because my first shot hit the first tuft...

His 12 inches might not have been mine or vice versa had we done otherwise. Of cousre the bull was standing dead with the first shot.... but he and we didn't realize that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....