Originally Posted by 4th_point
BobinNH,

If you're ever in OR, shoot me a PM. You've got an open invite to shoot some steel and bull... I'm sure we can exchange info and stories grin

I have no doubt that some shoot really well in heavy wind, but in the coastrange of OR you need to be skilled at reading the terrain as I've seen 5-10 mph full value hand people their asses. We've had bullets impact opposite the direction of perceived wind, and bullets get lifted by extreme terrain. Wind swirling around a knob can do a 180, and steep ridges will lift a bullet. Then there are wind shadows. Elevation on the coast isn't that high (2000' or so), but it's rugged and sometimes the clear-cuts don't provide many clues.

Fellas shooting in the PNWet have an advantage. It's the fog. There are countless times where I've seen the wind moving in completely different directions depending on elevation. One layer will be moving L-to-R, and another layer R-to-L, all in the same valley. The downside is that wisps of fog are good, but heavy fog will make a LRF useless.

On a feature-less plain with fairly constant wind, I could see how one could do really well in heavy wind. Where we shoot, a 10 mph wind can be pretty challenging at 400y, and really tough at 500y. The wind hold needs to factor in the terrain for the 10 mph wind and this is where it messes with the shooter. For the most part, a 5 mph full value has proven to be very shootable for our hunting weight rifles out to 500 from field positions. We consider hits on 6-8" targets acceptable, and anything else a botched shot. Tight groups on the edge of a manhole cover don't count grin

Jason

If you don't understand how formations affect wind, and that wind comes in layers, you are lost to start with. Especially for long....

And thats not a knock on anyone, but wind is far from simple. Its exactly why only a fool can give a fixed answer to this question.

I've seen days where I'd shoot 1000 or more in a heartbeat.

There are days, as noted, if you can't get all the way to prone with a good sling or bipod, 200 could be pretty wobbly, and not just from wind on the bullet, but wind on you...

Most folks have no clue that mirage and wind are two seperate effects on bullet impact totally.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....