Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Horseman
Kimber will tell you all they use is boiled linseed oil. Not true though as they have a varnish component. I suspect they use a linseed oil based "finish" which really means varnish. I use a mix of BLO and shellac ragged on thin to match Kimbers finish. BLO and shellac is the definition of a varnish but looks like oil. Using this technique one cannot tell it from a factory NY Kimber finish.

Some should stick to asking for advice, not giving it! Virtually nothing you said is correct!

Kimber will NOT tell you they use nothing but BLO. They will tell you it is a "hand-rubbed oil" finish. Big difference!!!

Shellac and BLO is a horrible choice in a hunting rifle for a ton of reasons.

A "linseed oil based finish" does NOT mean a varnish.

BLO and shellac is NOT the definition of "varnish."

You will easily be able to tell your finish from the factory finish the first time it rains.

Wow!

Schitka you sir are wrong but that's never stopped you from posting before.

Oil + shellac is what most early varnishes were made of. Kimber customer service absolutely told me all they use is boiled linseed oil. Not my opinion but fact. Call them and ask.

You are correct BLO and Shellac mixture isn't the most waterproof finish. I believe it to be very similar to what Kimber uses. The factory Kimber finish is not very durable either. The finish I use is an easy maintenance coat and keeps them looking new. You are free to use whatever high tech finish you like.

BLO/Shellac rubbed until tacky is a classic rubbed finish which is also used on all Bark River knife handles unless an oily exotic wood is used in which case it is simply buffed with wax.

I've used BLO/Shellac on axe and hatchet handles for years and it holds up reasonably well.