[/quote]
All good information but where would you put BLO in your points? [/quote]

You already know about BLO. The hardware store stuff is OK as a burnt oil finish for blacksmiths. It should never come near any fine firearm. Real boiled linseed oil I haven't used but I have used artist stand oil which is very useful in traditional finishes. It is sun dried partially polymerized high grade linseed oil similar to real boiled linseed oil. I usually add a small amount of cobalt or japan dryier to speed up the process. Red lead is the best oxidizer but a little too toxic to mess with.

Clives Lemon Oil is one of the best for conditioning a stock. I think it is a form of Slacum but not sure. May not be available anymore but was at one time as part of the Purdey Warthog line of products. The originators name is Lemon but I don't know if it has lemon oil in it at all. Don Allen recommended this for his Dakota Rifles.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli