Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Wow, guess I missed all the excitement.

To an amateur, I may seem like an accomplished woodworker. To the latter, I may seem like an amateur. All I can say is that I have more kinds of wood, and stains, waxes, oils, finishes, woodworking tools, what have you, than I can shake a fist at.

A few points I can make are:

I would not use shellac and BLO on a stock. Ever. Don't know if it is technically a varnish or not and don't care.

Tate's stock looks very nice, but I have the Watco stuff here and I'd not use it on a stock. If I did, I would worry about sealing it somehow, and keeping it sealed. I don't feel it is that durable or that it penetrates that well. I don't do glossy finishes of any type and never will.

Carry on....

A piece of advice... you should ALWAYS make the finish glossy and then rub it down to a sheen you can live with, or love. Glossy finishes are both more durable and more waterproof.

Read what this man said....he is exactly right. The most durable satin finish will always be a rubbed out gloss finish due to the manufacturing processes to make a satin formulation...a byproduct of the process weakens it.

What actually weakens the semi-gloss finish is the addition of silica as a flatting agent.
Yeah well it's damned hard to f*ckin tell as I've used about every finish there is at one time or another including gloss, semi gloss and satin oil based polyurethanes and I'll be damned if I can tell a difference. One things for sure and that is they are all pretty durable and much more so than'any of the water based or "wipe on" poly's and oil finishes like tru oil or linspeed. The rifle in the OP is a hunting rifle for f*ck sakes and as such should have some damned scratches. I'd rub some minwax spar poly in the scratch, let it sit for a few and wipe off the excess. Let dry, repeat the procedure a couple times and call it good.

Well, among most of your other foolish statements you can add being totally clueless about poly finishes. Most of the current water-based polys are as good as they come and quite a bit harder and stronger than the old hydrocarbon solvent polys...

There is no doubt you will be damned, and if there is a wage to pay for not being able to see the very obvious differences between toughness and waterproofness in matte finishes versus gloss your bill will be high.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.