Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by CosmicCoder
Originally Posted by bryguy
But the scopes I have are inch adjustments....and inches and MOA are not a direct correlation though correct?

Yes, inches/100yd and MOA are directly linearly correlated. At 100yd, 1 MOA equals approximately 1.047". If your turret adjustments are 1/4" @ 100yd per click then your scope adjustments are (1/1.047)/4 MOA per click which is ≈0.239 MOA per click.

Think fast- 28.65 MOA correction, what do you set the scope to? grin

It sort of depends upon how you get the 28.65 MOA elevation correction. If it is coming from a mobile device doing the ballistics calculation in the field, just use that device to do the division to convert from MOA to clicks. If it is coming from interpolation of a ballistics table, just include another column for clicks and do the interpolation in terms of clicks instead of MOA - I do this with all my ballistics tables. I don't print a range card consisting of the raw table output by the ballistics program - I transfer that data to a custom formatted spreadsheet which also calculates and includes a SF corrected clicks column for the elevation and windage corrections and I print that spreadsheet as my range card. Some ballistics calculators allow you to specify your scope click units [Applied Ballistics Mobile and Strelock Pro Mobile come to mind] and include the elevation and windage in clicks as part of their firing solutions. This problem is no different than having to correct for your scope tracking factor [SF] as determined by a tall-target test. Some ballistics programs incorporate the SF into their firing solutions. This SF correction can also be exploited to automagically perform the desired conversion between MOA and clicks like the one you posed above. The click-to-MOA conversion factor above can be incorporated as a multiplier factor [0.955 in the case above] to any actual SF as determined by a tall-target test and specifying this adjusted SF to the ballistics calculation program and that the scope in this case has a turret adjustment of 1/4 [0.25] MOA per click. Then the clicks correction determined by the ballistics calculator would correctly match the MOA correction it calculates.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I think he was asking if IPH and MOA were equivalent.

Yes it could be that's what he meant - I answered the question he actually asked wink .

Last edited by CosmicCoder; 10/18/16.

CC