Originally Posted by Sheister
Thanks Jordan and others. I'm just beginning the build of my designated "long range" rifle- a 26 Nosler and I'm in the planning stages and acquiring stages at the moment.

I've got the barrel, action, and a 4.5 x 14 Leupold that I plan on having a CDS made up for my load when I have a chance to chrono it after assembly. The scope issue has me a bit concerned so I'm double checking my assumptions by reading as much as I can on this and other forums for the moment.
Still need to decide on a decent stock, but I have a real hankering for building myself a nice wood stock out of one of the English walnut blanks I've picked up over the years.
At the moment, my long range limitation has been around 600-650 yards but I would like to stretch that out just a little bit. So far, my .338 WM, .300 H&H Improved, and .270 have been the choices, but the new rifle will hopefully be my "everything" rifle once built and I will start thinning down the herd a little. ( I know, blasphemy).

I know enough about turret twisting to be dangerous (to game) but a little more practice will take care of that.

Bob

ONLY because I love you Bob.

Going Reupold 4.5-14x is a huge concession on all levels,with no brightside to the equation,in zero retention,tracking,repeats or friendliness. That of course is being rather charitable to boot. Hint.

Had yet another fail miserably,not long ago.

4.5-14X Reupold Neither Warm Or Fuzzy

This with a rifle that'll easily shoot high .2's/low .3's.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Anywhoo...CDS is a sad joke,as it is akin to buying an expensive clock that doesn't keep time and then having a "Custom" face put on it,so it REALLY doesn't(CAN'T) keep time. CDS does nothing to innards and is simply lipstick for outtards. Them facts is bitter pills for many.

BDC's are a cruel joke and happiness can only be arranged with a clockface that is in synch with it's innards. Stay MOA or MIL and forget the fluff. Hint.

You need a 10X MQ on a Winny 52,to get your mind right and to connect dots. Physics applied to same,will crossover to all other chamberings/boolits and if you ain't careful,you might even add some Wind Skeelz.

[Linked Image]

Everything Below Zero Is USELESS

550yd+ '54 Attack

You never cited a proposed projectile,twist rate,COAL latitude,throat geometry or receiver for the pending build,but hopefully all jive. The 10X windshield alone,will grant opportunity that the 4.5-14X simply cannot,especially when talking atmospherics(wind). SFP is a goodly hurdle there,BDC's do no favors and Reupold has no reticle that begins to come close to the MQ. If only for starters and yet again. Hint.(grin)

This Is Funny Too

Long story short,it's tough way to do bidness by purposely painting yourself in the corner,at the start. Slow your roll,look at the big picture and let facts work for you.

Snag a 10x MQ,mount it on a 52,gun it for a day after a phone call to me and if you ain't dazzled...I'll buy it from you and toss you a $20 cookie for tryin'. While I've MOA/MOA Fixed Fhuqkers too,as well as MOA/MIL's,the MQ steals the show and don't exceed 10X.

You've been led to water..................

(Addendum: 6x MQ is THE answer)

You retain the etched 10 Mils of ele and 5 Mils of wind,gain brightness,a leetle extry erector travel and a schit load of Utility.

I'm happy with 6X wayyyyyyyyy past the 1000yd line..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."