Larry,
I've been having the same thought process since I started this process and I may have to turn this scope into a range tester for now until I decide what direction to go. I have a little time as the barrel/action will go out for marrying in the next few weeks.

For just plain range shooting like you're doing, the 10X would be fine, but for hunting in the wide open and forests of Eastern Oregon I need the versatility of a variable glass. You don't use the 10X hunting those little blacktails in the brush, do you? smile The 4.5 x 14 fits my needs if not the reliability, so what do you recommend in that range that would trip my trigger. I've been looking at some of the listings in the $1K range and around like the Nightforce and a few others, but have to do some research.

Have to find a better range for the 52's and 40X to stretch their legs. Then some better glass if necessary. All our coast range spots are growing over and the few left are getting more crowded every day. Wish I had the access to shooting spots you have...

Anyhow, PM me your Phone # and we'll talk, It's been awhile.... besides, I'm just a couple years from retiring and need someone to steer me to some decent fishing up there.... smile

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.