Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by JDK

I tracked a buck for over 6 hours the last day of rifle season. I was on a fast walk a good portion of the time as he wasn't that close. In that time, he ran into one pocket of does. If you stillhunted at "God's pace" you'd never even be in the game.

"Gods Pace" can be a real waste of time if there's nothing nearby.....and that's common in big woods. You're farting around trying to move like a snail and he's two miles away.

In those places I abandoned this still hunting business altogether unless I knew there was a buck very close by.

Spot on Bob. Having spent many of the last 10-15 season hunting in the bigger woods of N.Main and N.NH, Unless you know you're into the deer, there's no point in going slow. There's an awful lot of places deer can be and if you're not there, you best be moving.

Like JDK said, frequently when tracking deer my pace is at a walk or faster until I either bump them or can tell by the tracks they aren't far ahead. When that's the case, it's time to slow down. Otherwise I'm wasting time.