Originally Posted by 673
I tape my swivels so they are silent, use no cover scent, nose into the wind, ....

Had to chuckle at this. I tape zipper pulls so they can't clatter. Removed a plastic clip in an otherwise quiet new fleece orange vest - with my pocket knife - seconds after a tiny plastic "tick" cost me a shot. The vest ties with strings now. I use a bumper of electrical tape to pad and silence the muffled rattle of my magazine floor plate against the bottom of the magazine frame. I carry it with my hand there and the little rattle drives me nuts. I don't worry about the swivels, except to oil them, because my sling is in my pocket most of the time. Sometimes I have to stop and rearrange my partly full canteen so it doesn't go "glurk" at every step. Keep my shirt tail over my pack buckle so it won't clank. Little sounds, but they don't belong. Unnatural sounds.

Funny, though, I did have a curious buck walk into me once. I was holding still, but eating a sandwich in a plastic sandwich bag. The faint crinkle/rustle of the plastic apparently made the buck curious. I saw his antler tips coming and swapped the sandwich for my rifle. He walked practically right up to me. He never did learn the answer about that sound.

I don't mess with cover scent either, I try to use the wind to my advantage, or at least not to my disadvantage.

Patience is a key component, for sure.