Originally Posted by ridgerunner85
This is just the thread I've been looking for! I've been teaching myself to still hunt over the past few years. I've read few a things by Larry Koller and the Benoit's. But I still have a few questions.

I started using binoculars last year, I feel this gives me a huge advantage. I have a pair 10x42 Leupolds. While I like them, sometimes they almost feel to big. What size do you feel optimum for still hunting?

When hunting do you guys sling your gun over your shoulder? I do because I feel it's easier to use my binoculars and to move a twig/branch out of the way. But yet at the same time I feel I need to be ready to get my gun up quickly. I'm just wondering what you guys have found best.

Thanks for any help.

What BobinNH said. The 10X42 are likely better used in more open country, or stand hunting. In heavy cover/shorter range situations a 6,7,8X is better. But the 10X42 will work if you have nothing else.

Second best for readiness to shoot to already having gun in your hands ( but then what about using the binoculars?) is one that is something similar to Cabela's "Safari" sling, which is what I use. Being right handed, the sling runs across my left shoulder, cross body, to the rifle at my right side. I can let go of the rifle to glass without putting the rifle down. It stays right there on my hip or slightly above, within ready reach while I glass with both hands or otherwise use the right hand, which is normally controlling the rifle, tho the weight is on the sling and left shoulder. I've seen this type and variations of sling also referred to as a combat or modified combat style.

Not as fast as one already in both hands, but not too slow either, and it takes minimal movement to bring it to firing position. It can be rigged to carry the rifle across one's back, front, or over the shoulder, as well as used as a shooting sling. I'm not generally in favor of compromises, but this is a pretty damned good one for my uses.

I haven't quite figured out anything as convenient for that walking/shooting staff I usually have in my left hand... which is a great aid in keeping ones balance while moving very slowly over difficult ground. I often use it as a binocular steady rest as well.

Last edited by las; 12/16/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.