Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I love to still-hunt, and most of my blacktail deer hunting has been like that. I had access on some great private land for about a decade that held a lot of deer, so days typically held multiple close range encounters and lots of adrenaline.

I use my 8x30 Swaro's obsessively and move really slowly if at all. Nothing wrong with being still and just watching for a while. My favorite weather for this is a light drizzly rain.

This will probably get laughed at, but in my opinion, you can't really be too camouflaged when still hunting. I used to use a turkey-hunting face net and even on warm days would wear mesh camo gloves. While duded-up like that I was within 20 feet of deer many times, under 10 feet a few times.

I hunted this way with a number of rifles and cartridges, but by far my favorite is my 20" Model 7 in .358 Win. Kills them flat dead without jellying and bloodshotting too much meat.

HOWEVER, I've found that still hunting is difficult in areas of lower deer density. It's hard to stay on point all day if you aren't seeing deer. If you get sloppy and start moving too fast, if you DO cross paths with a buck, you are unlikely to win the encounter if you are moving too fast and not minding the details.

You can do that thanks only to [bleep] republicans.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin