Originally Posted by Gladesman
I read a study a while back that that found out blue is a color that can deer can see. I quit hunting in bluejeans and watch to see that I have no blue outerwear.

Oh well- here we go again.... Animals that are "color-blind" are not, really. Apparently they see many shades of grey, some shades of yellow, and some blues- tho not as we see them.

The color blue is pretty far downtime list on what will get you.

Motion, noise, scent are the top 3. Take care of those and you are largely golden.

Fourth is Ultra-violet ( a form of blue, sort of) - it is readily seen. That's what those reflective eyes are for - seeing in dim light in the ultra-violet range. Regular detergent and new clothing has "brighteners in it - i.e., UV enhancers. You can't see it except that it makes the colors seem sharper and - well- brighter. But it really stands out to nocturnal animals eyes in low light! It glows to their eyes. In bright daylight, it probably doesn't matter. Not that I've found anyway.

So UV "kill" your clothing, including blue jeans , and camo!! - and the problem is mostly solved. Any color will "glow" to a cervids (and other nocturnal animal's) eyes in low light if not UV killed- blue probably more than others. I've proved it to myself many times over when moose hunting. Got nailed one time in mostly dark conditions. The ONLY thing not UV killed was a brand new that afternoon camo day-pack. I was fully clothed in camo as well. Every cow moose gave me the stare-down stink-eye as soon as they ( 3 out of a dozen or so in the group) got to an angle where they could spot the pack. They were passing all around me within 20-40 yards. Only those that got an angle on the pack did so, and scent/movement /noise were not factors.

That's mainly why I have camo - it is dedicated UV and scent "killed" clothing not used for anything else. For my convenience - not because it is a secret color to keep me unseen by big game animals. Although it does blend you into the background somewhat so does a bush, tree, or rock fore or aft. Camo - all colors in fact- is far more important in turkey or waterfowl hunting than in big game hunting as birds and fish have full color vision nearly identical to ours, and far better acuity. At least birds do.

Last edited by las; 12/16/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.