Mac,

Neat pics!

During the Anchorage PD academy, the firearms classes began the second week of December. We were on the range for a week with the warmest day -5F, the coldest day was -15F. We were using the ranges at Ft. Richardson, so we were at the base of the mountains and the wind was constant.

This was back in the revolver days (S&W Mod 13) and continuity of fire drills were quite the challenge. The practice ammo were using was reloaded .357 with 158gr cast SWC with an unknown (Unique?) really dirty powder. The second day we had a number of revolvers gummed up and failure to fire as well as students being unable to fire (everything was done double-action) due to frozen powder fouling & lube mix.
A good lesson there to thoroughly clean your weapons!

Keeping revolvers, 870's, and later, AR-15's, up and running in extreme cold is a challenge. The newer lubes make it better but, in the case of lubes, there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing". grin

I never liked the canister stoves as they were a PIA in really cold weather and preferred to use an MSR Whisperlight if I was backpacking, or a single-burner Coleman stove.

I have tent camped in -50F weather and never had a problem keeping either of them up and running.
The pics of your Landcruiser bring back fond memories. I had an FJ40 for a lot of years up there and do miss it.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell