Mackay;
Good afternoon to you sir, thanks once again for the wonderful photos and accompanying story.

When we were still living in Saskatchewan the winters always presented us with a number of challenges revolving around keeping things warm and functioning.

We had an '80 Toyota 4x4 pickup and even with the radiator covered with a chunk of cardboard and another bigger chunk in the bush guard in front of that, it'd only keep the front window clear and not all of it at that.

For sure good boots and extra layers were needed with it. Funny how some of the older rigs just didn't have the heaters that others did.

As far as firearms sounding funny when it was really cold, I recall my good wife shot her first buck when it was a balmy -38° C and her .308 carbine sounded only about 2/3 power.

I did an informal test - no chronograph back then - and shot at a pair of stacked 5 gallon cans at the same distance maybe 300yds or so, when it was -40° and then again at about -8°. As memory serves the point of impact was quite a bit higher on the warmer day.

We didn't bring the rifles in the house or cabin until the end of season either as I recall. They'd sweat so bad - I rusted the bore on a BBR Browning I had doing the freeze/thaw cycle with it.

Anyway sir, we think we're cold at -20°C where we are in the Okanagan now and so help me it does feel cold to me too. Gettin' old I suspect. wink

Thanks again sir and all the best to you all this year.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"