Originally Posted by BC30cal
mudhen;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this finds you and yours well and in keeping with the thread - warm enough too.

Way back when I seem to recall that the cattle operations on the prairies had wind break fences put up - sometimes maybe in an L shape?

Anyway I was told that horses and I want to say cattle too, are able to generate enough heat if they've got a full belly. The trick with horses was to have cold enough feed that they'd be able to munch away throughout the day and it not have an adverse affect on them.

Some of the guys fed straw even in winter as I recall - just to keep the gut going and then hay as well of course.

Sam or one of the other cold weather ranchers can perhaps comment if cows run the same way as horses that way - it makes sense that they would, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

All the best to you all this week mudhen.

Dwayne

All the best to you

Dwayne,
Been seeing lots of cows and a few horses in the pastures in my area and they seem to do ok? Though it hasn't been much colder than, say, -10F?

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker