Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by SBTCO
Thanks for the great photos and Info on the cold temp gun functioning. I've read a bit about the folks who live and work on the Svalbard Island group north of Norway and they made it pretty clear that oil/lube was verboten on their firearms(for polar bear protection). As I recall they went so far as to use solvent on all working parts to clean every bit of lube off, running them bone dry. Bolt guns were the norm and once the rifle left the protection of a warm building the rifles were left outside/cold room to prevent condensation buildup if they were brought back inside. Any ice formation would lock them up pretty quick.

I have a 1911 with the NP3 coating by ROBAR that has worked very well in cold temps. The teflon in the coating seems to prevent any ice to stick between parts.

I've nearly broken keys off as well when I had my FJ60(running an FJ80 presently). Started carrying a bic lighter in my pocket to heat up the key before putting it in the slot. Works pretty well.

When we do our December elk hunts, I leave our rifles on the porch, or in the back of the truck, for the same reasons you noted above.

The Bic lighter in the pocket to heat up a key is a smart move!

I did a December cow elk hunt here in MT. about 15-16 years ago. Friggin cold. Got down to -20 at night and I was camped out with 10x10 spike tent with a little Riley wood stove that would produce enough heat for about 20 min. before stoking again to maintain heat so obviously didn't last through the night. Had a good sleeping bag but regardless, in those temps a guy learns quick how to prioritize and organize for the little things in life, like taking a crap without freezing certain extremities. All good fun!

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton