Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by 340boy
One of the NOAA stations near Stanley reported 43 below zero *F last Friday early AM. I'd post a pic but this site and Photobucket aren't working too well for me lately. :grrrr:

Minus 31 F. in N Custer county this morning at 8 a.m., looks like it is a new record for this date since the site I looked at shows that the previous record was minus 17 F. back in 1947. Our average for this time of year is 12 F.

Darned global warming anyway.

drover

Drover,
I can believe it! I wish I could find exactly where in the Stanley area the station is located-the one that reported 43 below zero?

I am not sure where it is now, it used to be where the old Hwy Dept shed was (approx where the City building is now) but quite a few years ago they moved it to where the local Forest Service Hdqtrs is located, a few miles south of town. Stanley used to make the national news quite often for having the low temps in the nation but since the weather station move it doesn't occur quite as often. Back many years ago I kept the temp recordings there but that was before the automated stations when it was done by daily notation.

The coldest I can remember seeing in Stanley was -48, the coldest I have ever seen was -58 in Thule, Greenland. I have often heard folks say that once it is -20 after that it doesn't make any difference - having been exposed to temps well below that I respectfully beg to disagree with them.

drover

Asked my friend where he got that temp info I referenced in my original post, and he said it was from the station at the forest service office.
Totally agree with you on the 'doesn't make any difference'. Tis Nonsense.
I did a solo winter backpack trip behind Redfish lake last Xmas(2015) and saw temps of -30 at night with around -10 during the afternoon? That 20 degree diff. was very noticeable!
eek

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker